Weight went up, but body fat % is the same?

Options
Hi everyone! I'm confused by my results I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced anything similar:

I started lifting heavy weights about 8 months ago and have probably been eating at maintenance or perhaps a slight surplus some of the time. I've been getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.

I weighed around 130 when I started weight training seriously. I lifted 2-4 times per week with progressively heavier weights and did a few cardio sessions per week. Around that time I also tested my body fat with calipers and got 24.2%

Now, I weigh about 136. I've been cutting calories with some success the past two weeks, and am feeling good and like my clothes fit again. I tested my body fat with the same calipers, in the same sites at the same time of day again today and my body fat is...24.2%

Does that mean I gained some muscle? That seems to good to be true. I'm relatively new to lifting and don't know if this is even possible in that amount of time. Are these the "newbie gains" people speak of?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Were the measurements to be accurate then your weight gain was 76% non-fat and 24% fat. About 1.5 lbs of fat.
  • Taleatia
    Taleatia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cool! I'll take any muscle gain I can get. Pretty sure the measurements were at least consistent enough to show a trend. Thanks for the reply!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Taleatia wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I'm confused by my results I'm curious if anyone has ever experienced anything similar:

I started lifting heavy weights about 8 months ago and have probably been eating at maintenance or perhaps a slight surplus some of the time. I've been getting at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.

I weighed around 130 when I started weight training seriously. I lifted 2-4 times per week with progressively heavier weights and did a few cardio sessions per week. Around that time I also tested my body fat with calipers and got 24.2%

Now, I weigh about 136. I've been cutting calories with some success the past two weeks, and am feeling good and like my clothes fit again. I tested my body fat with the same calipers, in the same sites at the same time of day again today and my body fat is...24.2%

Does that mean I gained some muscle? That seems to good to be true. I'm relatively new to lifting and don't know if this is even possible in that amount of time. Are these the "newbie gains" people speak of?

It's very likely that you gained some muscle given the above scenario. 6 lbs weight gain in 8 months, progressively demanding resistance training, adequate protein, new to lifting --- this all sounds excellent to me IMO.