staying within 1200 calories

Options
Mostly I am not having hard time staying within 1200 calories a day but, some days I go up 100 to 300 calories. Does it hinder my weight loss if I have a these extra calories or should I just accept being hungry some of the time?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Extra calories will slow weight loss, but all that means is that it will take a little longer to get there, not that you won't. (As long as you're in a deficit overall.)

Probably best for your ability to stick to it to have a few extra calories if you're that hungry.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    100 to 300 calories, you should still be below maintenance (provided you're logging everything accurately). If you feel like you're too hungry, lower your deficit to .5-1 pound a week.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go ahead and say both.

It *will* slow down weight loss AND you're probably gonna be hungry from time to time so learn to embrace the suck on that one.

OTOH- If you're hungry all the time, you're probably doing it wrong.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are you short/is 1200 the amount of calories set by MFP? I get 1800 calories, but I am 5'7", and set my goal to losing 1 pound per week. More would be too aggressive for me and I would be miserable

I'm not hungry, but eat foods with lots of protein, fiber, and fat, and I limit simple carbs.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    When you are at 1200 calories a day (as I am) you have to make sure those calories "count". If you eat 1200 calories of food with little to no nutritional value (things like white bread, rice, potatoes) you won't stay full. If you get those calories from nutrient dense foods like lean proteins, whole grains, veggies and fruit, your calories will stretch further AND you will stay more full.

But just like Sarge said...there will be times that you are hungry!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider a more realistic calorie goal. If you're going to go as low as 1200 you're probably going to be hungry a lot.
  • TiffanyR71
    TiffanyR71 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    When you are at 1200 calories a day (as I am) you have to make sure those calories "count". If you eat 1200 calories of food with little to no nutritional value (things like white bread, rice, potatoes) you won't stay full. If you get those calories from nutrient dense foods like lean proteins, whole grains, veggies and fruit, your calories will stretch further AND you will stay more full.

But just like Sarge said...there will be times that you are hungry!

What she said... I'm doing this, too.

Plus, if you're able to exercise, you can "earn" some extra for hungry days or weekends (just be careful about eating them all back, as burns tend to be overestimated).
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I try and stick with a 1200 calorie goal as well but I go over a little bit each day. The key is exercise. With just 1200 calories there are gonna be times where you may be hungry. But with 100-200 more each day you can have a couple of snacks and not really be that hungry. If you exercise just 30 minutes a day you're probably gonna make up enough where you could add a couple of more snacks. Like someone else said with a 1200 calorie diet there really isn't a lot of room for things with "low nutritional" value. So plan your day out beforehand and really make sure those 1200 calories are gonna fill you up.

I also played around with multiple small meals VS just three equal size meals and I now find that three equal size 400 calorie meals per day works best for me. I then keep 3-4 snacks (50 to 100 calories each) with me at all times. For example, a small plum, 3-4 strawberries, small manderin orange, apple, banana, etc). I drink one 16 oz bottle of water with my meal then I drink another 16 ounces halfway between that meal and the next. If I don't think I can reach the next meal due to hunger pains I eat a 40 calorie plum and drink another bottle of water. Then I can usually make it to the next meal. If I am still hungry I'll eat a couple of strawberries and again another bottle of water. The key is I never let myself go hungry. Plus I'm always keeping myself hydrated. Sometimes dehydration feels life hunger pains. But again plan your 1200 calories wisely and make sure they are nutrient dense and high fiber foods....things that will fill you up instead of quick energy bursts.

Do I ever feel stuffed....absolutely not.

Do I ever starve myself or leave that dead pit in my stomach....absolutely not.

If you're miserable you'll stop the diet. The best diet is the one that you can stick to even if it is at a slightly slower pace.