Surprising "diet" foods?

Options
Ok, so I have been at this logging thing on and off for 2 years and have stuck with it lately. I have noticed once or twice when I go to log a food I expect is going to really be bad for me, lots of calories, it isn't. Most recent discovery was that a soft taco on a small tortilla with homemade spice packet, lean ground beef, cheese, sour cream and lettuce (plus hot sauce of course) was only 250 calories each. I was completely stunned, I had mentally calculated at at least 400 calories each but when I weighed out the ingredients and measured them all I discover it was only 250. Needless to say this made me REALLY happy as I love tacos and am glad to be able to eat them again!

So what is the most surprising discovery calorie wise you have found?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well if you're weighing your food, the possibilities of the foods you can eat while you lose weight are endless. Yes, you might choose something lower in calorie if you like high volume, or you might choose one thing over another if there are certain macros/nutritional needs you want to meet. What I'm saying is, even if the taco had been 400 calories, you could have still eaten it. Glad you enjoyed!

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    avocado are not that bad...
    shrimp is the bomb....
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was really surprised to see how much lower in calories most meats were than I expected. I can pretty much gorge myself on turkey or ham.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Nice! It's awesome when you realize you can have a whole extra taco for the calories you had budgeted - or just have two tacos and some dessert!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    shrimp is the bomb....

I've started putting shrimp in my salads more because mmmm. Also if I make pasta with alfredo sauce.
  • arditarose
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    shrimp is the bomb....

I've started putting shrimp in my salads more because mmmm. Also if I make pasta with alfredo sauce.

Me too! Shrimp, avocado, black bean, a laughing cow cheese, and cholula chipotle sauce. They're amazing little salads packed with protein, a little fat, and for so few calories.
  • jezahb
    jezahb Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Well if you're weighing your food, the possibilities of the foods you can eat while you lose weight are endless. Yes, you might choose something lower in calorie if you like high volume, or you might choose one thing over another if there are certain macros/nutritional needs you want to meet. What I'm saying is, even if the taco had been 400 calories, you could have still eaten it. Glad you enjoyed!

Oh I know! My only saving grace this entire time dieting has been the fact that I have always had a very small appetite, it doesn't take a lot to fill me up and I stay full for a long time. My previous error was just that what I chose to eat small amounts of was REALLY caloric. All I did was make a taco exactly how I wanted it, and weighed it each step to figure out how much of each ingredient I used to make my perfect taco. Turns out even with 2 tbsp of sour cream (my weakness and one true love) it was still technically a low calorie taco! So I know what you mean, I could have a donut if I want as long as I only ate half...but what I was asking was what things that you eat in the quantity/prepared the way you like have you discovered are not as bad as originally assumed? Was just curious and seemed like a fun question, while being educational!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    It probably has a lot to do with how lean of a lean ground beef you used.
  • arditarose
    Options
    jezahb wrote: »
    Oh I know! My only saving grace this entire time dieting has been the fact that I have always had a very small appetite, it doesn't take a lot to fill me up and I stay full for a long time. All I did was make a taco exactly how I wanted it, and weighed it each step to figure out how much of each ingredient I used to make my perfect taco. Turns out even with 2 tbsp of sour cream (my weakness and one true love) it was still technically a low calorie taco! So I know what you mean, I could have a donut if I want as long as I only ate half...but what I was asking was what things that you eat in the quantity/prepared the way you like have you discovered are not as bad as originally assumed? Was just curious and seemed like a fun question, while being educational!

I hear you. I guess nothing has surprised me that much. It's super nice to find something that you love fits easily into your day I'm sure.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One lobster tail has 180 calories. B)
  • jezahb
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    It probably has a lot to do with how lean of a lean ground beef you used.

90/10 beef, so pretty lean...but doesn't really matter when it comes to tacos IMHO as you add a bunch of spices which compensate for the lack of flavor in the beef.

• jezahb
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

:o *runs out to buy lobsters* LOL
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    shrimp is the bomb....

I swear I'm the only person on this planet who hates avocado :'(

I really like the cracker barrel cheese sticks. About 80 calories and they seem to fill me up pretty well. I also really like sunflower seeds. They give me that "crunch" of a snack food that I really like.
  • LenaGracie
    LenaGracie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    When I first started, I was really surprised to see how much lower in calories most meats were than I expected. I can pretty much gorge myself on turkey or ham.

I second that! I was very surprised to see how low cal grilled chicken breast is. It is delicious, high protein, and relatively low cal!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I was pretty stoked when I realized I could work pasta into my calories. I always kind of assumed it would mostly have to be a "special occasion" treat meal.

When I realized I could fit a big plate of spaghetti with meatballs and homemade marinara into my calories, I was so happy. Admittedly, it was really more meatballs with spaghetti - I needed the protein.
  • jezahb
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Not the only one, I got food poisoning from avocado toast a few months back and now hate them!

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,114 Member
    Options
    shrimp is the bomb....

I'm with you. I try to like it, but the texture and flavour just don't do it for me ... unless it is well mixed with something.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,114 Member
    Options
    Pickles

I used to crave potato chips ... then I realised it was the salt I was after, so I started eating one pickle each day. The pickles satisfy that craving and are much, much lower in calories than potato chips.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

I was just gonna say lobster...

I think shrimp has 1 calorie for each gram...so yah I eat it a lot...and lots of protein.

To be honest I was surprise a Cadbury Milk chocolate bar only has 240 calories...and I am always surprised at how many chips are in 1 serving...(weighed out of course)
    shrimp is the bomb....

I really like the cracker barrel cheese sticks. About 80 calories and they seem to fill me up pretty well. I also really like sunflower seeds. They give me that "crunch" of a snack food that I really like.

I just started eating them...guacamole yes...but plain avocado...wasn't a fan until I mixed it with egg salad or put it in a wrap..just thin slices...nothing too big...
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Homemade vegetarian chili always surprises me, as does tacos made with leaf lettuce for the shells. Also, soups. Lots of homemade soup with the fat removed really does come out lower calorie than you'd expect.

Pork tenderloin caught me by surprise in the beginning, too. I always considered pork a bit of a calorie bomb, but tenderloin (or loin with fat removed) is pretty awesome and decent.

Eggs with salsa on them. Eggs are okay on their own, but you add a little salsa and there is something about the combo that hits my carb tooth okay without a huge addition of calories. Go figure.

And I'll second lobster and shrimp. If you can avoid all the delicious butter with the lobster, that is...