If you mess up the day before do you cut calories?

ocumberland
ocumberland Posts: 7
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
That's my question. Is that healthy? To cut the calories you mesed up on?

Replies

• jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    You mean the next day?

No.

Its been my understanding from what I've read on here that the body doesn't really work that way. The same as if I come in under on my calories one day I don't go over the next because I saved them. Like I said, that's just from the impression I've gathered that the body works more in the here and now, not on a weekly average.

My best advice is to wake up and say "New day!" and just keep working toward your goals.

Good luck!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    I agree with the above post. If I go over one day , I just try to stick to my calorie goal for the next days...
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    I don't think that would be healthy. I just start the next day as normal and go from there. One day is not going to wreck this for me. It is a life style change for me not a diet
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    No... some would say you could do zig-zagging but in my experience, if I go over, it's on everything... so it's not like I can undo all the fat that I ate. But, honestly, I'm always hungry so unless I did an insane work out that left me with more calories than I could eat, I just eat normally and stay within my calories for the next day.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    People on Weight Watchers do it, but to me it seems like setting yourself up to fail ... it's probably pretty easy to live off celery sticks here and there to eat a pizza by yourself once a week. So if I go over, I eat all my calories the next day. Unless I have a crazy workout. Then I might leave 100 calories on the table ... maybe :wink:
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    I try to make better food choices the next day and just workout more/harder. I dont cut back on my food though.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    At the risk of getting repetative, I agree - after bad days I try to start fresh the next day.

Although, on good days I've been known to cheat and put some of my exercise calories on another day. For example, two Sundays ago I went for a 7k run (800 calories) and a 22k bike ride (1100 calories). I recorded the bike ride on the Sunday (and ate back half my exercise calories) and recorded my run as if it happened on Monday (and ate back half of those calories). Overall, I'm still on target - just a little mental game I played with myself to earn more calories of eating on Monday.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    I personally treat every day as its own day. However, Weightwatchers allows you to carry over "points" which is essentially calories to the next day for the entire week. So they kind of have a weekly goal.
  • You guys are all awesome! Thanks for the advice!! :)
  • never cut out your daily calories because of the day before... you need them for each day! if you had a bad day yesterday then make today better but don't skimp... maybe exercise more today like add 10 more minutes! leave the past behind you and move on!!
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    That's my question. Is that healthy? To cut the calories you mesed up on?

I don't cut calories because I "messed up". But, I will make a more conscious effort to eat better that day- lots of veggies, my servings of fruit, good protein, whole wheats, etc. Eating good foods help me to personally cleanse my body from the junk I may have ate the day before.

But, if you cut your calories, chances are that you'll feel super hungry and maybe binge on more bad things, and it may just become a horrible cycle. That happened to me when I first started my journey back in January 2009...the cycle went on for a few months before I gave up. :noway:

So, in summary I would just start with a clean slate and instead of cutting the calories, I would make a more conscious effort to eat clean!
This discussion has been closed.