MFP method actually work for anyone?

Options
I'm just curious if it's worked for anyone or if you've had to alter it to work for you? Mine is set to lose 1lb a week and let me tell you, I'm not losing near that. I lost .3 last week and nothing this week. I eat back some of my exercise calories, not all of them usually because I don't want to eat back that much because I'm not that hungry. I also use a hrm to track and measure my food. I have tried TDEE in the past and that was way too much food and I gained weight.

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I would imagine it works for lots of people, hence the popularity of the website.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary and I don't know any of your measurements/age/etc.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    When I stick to the program I consistently lose 1 lb a week which is just what it is set at.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*

MFP worked beautifully for me. Still is working :love:
  • lswain1970
    lswain1970 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am losing twice as fast (though it still only 1- 1.3 pounds a week) using MFP as I was on my own. Curious if you are watching your macro goals (protein/carbs/fat) as I have found that when I go over on my carbs I tend to have a smaller loss. You can set your macro goals differently based on what works for you but I definately had to customize those goals to increase my protein percentage and lower my carb percentage.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Would be curious to know how much you need or want to lose or if you are already near your recommended weight ? Hav3folowed exclusively bbooth times here and lost over 50 pounds first go around and eight since starting back a little over two weeks ago. Realize mine will quickly slow down after a couple weeks but a pound per week should be attainable
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I really didn't check to see if I was losing at the MFP rate but I have lost 16 and I am an old dude who doesn't get much exercize (although I have been better since MFP). Just keep logging accurately and you should see results. Be patient.
  • KyliAnne26
    KyliAnne26 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 12th week and I've lost 15 lbs. so far. So, yeah, I'm happy with it :) Some weeks I've lost two pounds, other weeks I've only lost .4 of a pound. Our bodies are all different. Eat back your exercise cals, do strength training AND cardio, try to stay within your macros, and drink tons of water. As long as you have no health conditions working against you, this should result in a slow but steady weight loss.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    MFP originally had me set at 1200 calories a day, and I quickly lost about 12 pounds doing that. However, I soon realized that it was not maintainable for me to be eating so little, and I've since upped my calories to TDEE-15% (1575) and although I'm not losing as fast as I was before, I definitely feel a lot better:)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    It works for many, many people. I lost the expected 1 pound per week if I didn't eat my exercise calories. Maybe I'm more sedentary than lightly active? IDK. I guess.
    I've decided to switch back to TDEE-20% to lose inches rather than pounds. I'll still use mfp to log my food and exercise, though. Having an online food diary is what helped me have the success I've had.
  • Lauraplane
    Lauraplane Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been using it for about 5 months and have lost 25 pounds so far. It works.
  • dont_give_up
    dont_give_up Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP, I was set to lose about 2 lbs a week, 1200 calories a day. Some days I ate my exercise calories, some days I didn't. For a while I was losing weight pretty steadily, and then just stopped. Didn't gain anything, didn't lose anything. It was very frustrating.
    I went back several times and reset my goals. I finally tried the TDEE thing, and so far it's working. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat all my calories for the day, but I do make sure that I eat at least 1200. I've lost 70 lbs...what I'm doing is working for me, everyone is different.
  • commanderval
    commanderval Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Erm...I would say yes considering the number of people on here and the success stories.
    As for myself: 40lbs gone
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    81 lbs lost. 60 of those on MFP.

It works.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    never mind.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Here's what the MFP method has done for me.

6m.png
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It could be that some estimate is off. Which is what it is when your calorie goal is set. To make matters worse the estimate is based on estimates so it's no wonder they can be off. I doubt it's wildly off even with those factors. So, if you say you are sedentary there is an assumption that even at that level a certain amount of activity is being done on a daily basis, hygiene, cooking, walking to your car, walking up to your office or place of work, walking across parking lots etc...But, some people are retired or homemakers and don't even leave their homes that much so they might be even less active than what is assumed and might burn 200 or more less calories than is assumed. Then their is the BMR, that is really a wild *** guess. It's based on your height, weight, age, and gender and they can only go by averages if you have any kind of medical issue like an under active (even a low normal) thyroid your metabolism could be lower.

So, the bottom line is that your activity level could be an over estimation that results in a 200 or slightly more estimation. Your BMR could be a 300 calorie or so overestimation. But, since you are losing some weight, it's unlikely those estimations are off by 500 calories, but they could be off by 250 a day. It's something you are going to have to A. get better estimates of your TDEE with a fitbit or other metabolic measuring device or B. experiment for a couple of months to figure out what your TDEE really is or C you could go straight to moving a bit more and cutting just a very slight amount from your calorie intake, like 100 or less.

One other thing that can happen I have seen this a whole lot is people who are already at a healthy weight trying to lose 5-20 more pounds. When you are already at a healthy weight your body will mutiny when you try to lose.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary and I don't know any of your measurements/age/etc.

I wasn't asking for help with my diary, ect. I was just curious if it works for for others.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if it's worked for anyone or if you've had to alter it to work for you? Mine is set to lose 1lb a week and let me tell you, I'm not losing near that. I lost .3 last week and nothing this week. I eat back some of my exercise calories, not all of them usually because I don't want to eat back that much because I'm not that hungry. I also use a hrm to track and measure my food. I have tried TDEE in the past and that was way too much food and I gained weight.

The thing that jumps out at me is the HRM.

If you're using the HRM to calculate calories burned during exercise, I'd guess that it's significantly overestimating calorie burns. HRMs are notorious for doing that in people who don't have very high levels of cardiovascular fitness.

HRMs are not calorie calculators, and relying on them often leads to this.

I'd say knock 30% off your HRM numbers before you enter them.

Also, open your diary and we might see where you're going wrong.
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'd like to second the person that asked about carb intake, because I have also noticed that I lose more slowly on carb-heavy weeks than I do on weeks where my carb intake is really light.