Life after stronglifts?

Options
We've discussed stronglifts to death now, but what to do when you've found your max and want to move on?

Would love some suggestions on the next phase of my journey. I have 6 lbs to go to my target weight. I am currently eating at a 250 deficit and doing stronglifts 5x5 in addition to my 2 circuit classes. Once I have reached my target weight and my strength starts to plateau I think it will be time to try and build some muscle. From what I have learned from the internet I need to eat at around a 250 calorie surplus and do a hypertrophic programme which I think just means doing 3x10 instead of the 5x5 I'm currently doing and adding some accessory exercises to the main lifts I already do in stronglifts. Any advice, tips or personal experience would be greatly appreciated. Most resources I have found seem to assume a much greater knowledge than I have.

I have done a lot of googling and watched a lot of you tube vidoes and the more I learn the more unsure I am as to how to proceed. Am I over thinking it? Do I just go to the gym and lift things up? or do I find and follow a rigid plan? (my character suits having a plan - I like SL 5X5 for that reason) I have browsed bodybuilding.com and found a few that I think I would enjoy.

I am a little nervous of upping the calories and just gaining weight but I guess I have to trust the process. I suppose everyone feels like that?

Thanks in advance for your advice

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Well, I may be totally off, because what I'm doing is my own thing, not a program. It is based solely upon the previous six months I had with a personal trainer. I had to figure out my own way forward (he moved on). So yes, I did like you--researched, read, browsed, read some more...and based upon what my trainer did and all that research, AND given my immediate goals to: 1) cut after a winter of slow bulk and learning lifting; and 2) adding my summer cardio exercises of mountain biking 2-3 times/week, here's my basic outline:

I'll do my 5x5 or what have you of: squats, bench, OHP, some sort of lat/back work, and whatever accessories that I'll switch up. I almost always do a triceps exercise, but I'll also add in calves, some glute or ham work, or other pull accessories. Some days I push myself to hit a higher load but fewer reps; other days I maintain a good basic 5x5; and other days I may do big-but-boring sets of 10 reps.

Since I'm on a cut, and since I mountain bike, and since I generally go to the gym myself on most days, but with a friend on Sundays, I generally use Sundays to work a little harder and have my friend spot me on bench. So Sundays I'll try to hit higher weights on bench; other days I'm by myself, I'll bench more for reps. And if she's up for it, we deadlift together. I don't generally deadlift on my own because form issues and a few other reasons.

But basically I made a spreadsheet of my schedule, listed my core compound lifts, and a host of other accessories. I have that on my phone, and make a plan every day I go to the gym. I focus on squats, bench, OHP, and some sort of lat/back work as the main exercises I try to do each time, and then determine what accessories I need to do for the week and split them up across the week, usually doing at least one, if not two.

Try to give equal time/effort to both push/pull exercises; keep going on legs/posterior chain.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I haven't switched off of strong lifts yet but I know a couple of people who have switched to a 5/3/1 program like Wendlers
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest Wendler or Madcow, madcow almost the same but not all 5 sets are at the same weight, last set higher weight. Since I started with a good foundation I skipped stronglifts and wend for Madcow, then on to Wendler.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I did SL5x5 "by the book". Stall, deload, repeat, after 3 stalls and deloads with minimal to no progress I switched to 3x5 and then briefly 1x5 before switching to MADCOW. Ran MADCOW for nearly 8 months. Now I have individualized programming by SideSteel. If you want more hypertrophy, have you considered ICF 5x5? https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    I haven't switched off of strong lifts yet but I know a couple of people who have switched to a 5/3/1 program like Wendlers

This is what I did when my lifting numbers stalled doing strong lifts. 5/3/1 is a good intermediate program.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally switched to PHUL after Stronglifts and loved the changes it made in my physique. I still gained some strength but also did some body recomp to the tune of going from a size 10 pants to a size 4 with no change in my weight. This winter I did a bulk while following a linear periodization program which was a different number of sets and reps each week for a 5 week cycle with a deload and back to the beginning again.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I started feeling beat up all the time on 5x5. If you look at Mehdi's site, he says something about switching to 3x5 after having missing lifts and deloading three times, and then maybe down to 3x1?

Anyway, I'm not following SL as written. But I did find a lot more success when I dropped my bench down to 3x5.

I would say if you've been at it for a while and you have a good idea of what your body, diet and lifestyle can support in terms of recovery, then you can switch it up. It might be good to head over to another program, as mentioned above.

Or if you trust yourself, you can work your own stuff in. Want to focus on hypertrophy? Cool, do it. Want to pursue heavy singles? Great, do that.

Running a surplus is nervewracking, but you'd be absolutely shocked at how many calories heavy lifting seems to just absorb. And as always if you're moving too fast, it's very easy to cut out that extra PB&J or double-serving of Pop-Tarts.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I wish I could 'like' them all individually. There are a few terms I'm unfamiliar with and I have some research to do regarding icf, wedlers, madcow and phul. I'll have to put my reading glasses on. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions when I'm done
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I wish I could 'like' them all individually. There are a few terms I'm unfamiliar with and I have some research to do regarding icf, wedlers, madcow and phul. I'll have to put my reading glasses on. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions when I'm done

@willrun4bagels is doing the Madcow program I believe. She may be a good person to ask if you have questions. She doesn't venture into the forums that much anymore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how long have you been running strong lifts? It may be time to bump up to a more intermediate program. ..

I have been running this one for about six months now https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/4-day-power-muscle-burn-workout-split.html
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do. Stronglifts was great for building a great base of strength, but I never had any intention of being a power lifter or anything. It gave me a great base for Oly lifting which I love. I work with a coach and we do a lot of Oly work...the traditional compound movements are actually more of accessory type work for me and I do them in an undulating periodization of 12/6/3 and then some isolation type stuff at the end of my workouts for things like biceps and triceps and core stuff...I do most of that stuff in the 3x10 range.

It really depends on what you want to do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Madcow is similar as SL but only the last set is done at the top weight, they still call it 3 working sets, but to me it is one, and because it is only one you can do more weight 1x5, than 5x5.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    If I'm not too late to the party?

I've done the Bill Starr version of Madcow - it's a good routine. It has Oly Lifts instead of DL and Rows, but the principles are the same and they're sound. Madcow's version is a good segway from beginner's routines because you'll have likely encountered all the lifts involved.

636 is a good routine for intermediates, but it's 2 day a week and doesn't have DL's, so might not be everyone's cup of tea. When I did it I just did a mid-week DL session, but not everyone wants to customise to that level. If you do this - expect to eat. It'll crush you if you disrespect it.

5/3/1 is pretty widely done, well supported with apps/sites and pretty easy to follow. It has a slower progression than the routines above, but you can make up for that by choosing assistance templates for specific goals.

• kindrabbit
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have just looked at the madcow app. I like the idea of finding a programme that moves on from the SL. i do need to slow down on the weight increases as I am beginning to hit my upper limit. The only thing I notice is that I would be doing fewer lifts. With stronglifts I do the full warmup with every exercise. Today I have done:
    SQUATS
    20kg bar 1 X 10
    25kg 1 X 10
    30kg 1 X 10
    35kg 1 X 10
    40kg 1X10
    45kg 2 X 5
    50kg 2 X 5
    55kg 2 X 5
    57.5kg 5X5 - that was tough and think I will struggle to keep form with 60kg

I did the same with Bench Press (20kg bar up to 30kg 1X10 and 35kg 5X5) and rows (20kg bar up to 35kg 1 X 10 and 40kg 5X5). I am hitting my upper limit on both these moves.

I havent increased my bench for a week as I havent had a spotter and dont feel safe upping the weight without one. The row is beginning to break form at this weight too.

Perhaps I am doing stronglifts wrong? this is what Medhi recommends from what I understood (although perhaps he jumps more than 5kg?).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    First thought is that your warm up is killing your heaviest loads, because you're using all your energy simply warming up. I had the same problem with my deadlifts, by the time I finished warming up I had no energy to really go for it. I'd wager if you added 10kg at a time (20-30-40-50) til you get close to your "max" before adding smaller increments (55-57.5-60) you'd find it much easier at higher weights.
  • kindrabbit
    Options
    That's really helpful. Until recently I was starting with the 10kg bar so it was taking even longer! Seems counter intuitive to lower the sets but it will give me the opportunity to add some accessory lifts (is that the right term? I'm thinking lat raises, bicep curls, shrugs, calf raises, leg extensions etc). It's all beginning to become clearer, thanks guys!
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    First thought is that your warm up is killing your heaviest loads, because you're using all your energy simply warming up. I had the same problem with my deadlifts, by the time I finished warming up I had no energy to really go for it. I'd wager if you added 10kg at a time (20-30-40-50) til you get close to your "max" before adding smaller increments (55-57.5-60) you'd find it much easier at higher weights.

Wow, I agree with above. You're doing a ton of weighted squats, and then can barely finish the ones at the weight you want to mark your progress on. I'd even suggest you do fewer sets than nossmf suggests. Bar weight at 5-10 reps; one set of 5 reps at maybe 30-40 kg, then try your 5x5 at 60 kg. Same with all your other lifts. A couple sets of low weights then get to your working or new higher load sets. If you want to do more, then do some de- loaded sets after your max.

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Yeah, for a novice doing Stronglifts, I wouldn't do more than 5 total warm-up sets for squats. And it's not necessary to do more than 2 or 3 warm-up sets for the other lifts.

And your heaviest warm-up set should only be 2 reps, or maybe even just 1 rep.

20kg x 2 x 5
    30kg x 1 x 5
    40kg x 1 x 5
    50kg x 1 x 2
    60kg x 5 x 5 (work)

If you're doing more than this, you're getting exhausted by your warm-up. Fix your warm-up, and I'll bet you still have a lot of progress left in you.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    I personally switched to PHUL after Stronglifts and loved the changes it made in my physique. I still gained some strength but also did some body recomp to the tune of going from a size 10 pants to a size 4 with no change in my weight. This winter I did a bulk while following a linear periodization program which was a different number of sets and reps each week for a 5 week cycle with a deload and back to the beginning again.

I'm doing PHUL now too, after 5/3/1. I'm doing it at maintenance, it's been about 7 weeks and I see a difference. I really like this program. I love that I get a good dose of powerlifting, but that there's plenty of hypertrophy work and I really like all the suggested lifts (except calves and leg curls twice a week, I tweak it just a little). I also really ended up loving doing all my power lifting in two days.