1200/Day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    That sounds like a very sensible plan I lost the majority of my weight at an MFP 1560 so I was eating around 1800 calories

I started with a personal trainer twice a week, but I was really unfit and had some anxiety issues around getting out of breath due to some previous health issues ...I thought that would be for a few weeks but a year later I still see him once a week. I do progressive weights - squats, deadlifts, bench press, clean and push (badly) etc, calisthenics..TRX, kettle bells, cables, and about 15-20 mins on elliptical / treadmill as warm up ...he keeps pushing me every week and keeping it fresh

I took a Pilates class for a while but the teacher changed and I didn't like replacement so I went back to the gym so 2x45 min sessions and one around 80 (an hour with PT)

I also have a fitbit and try to be generally more active ..taking the dog out, taking a lunchtime walk at work ...it adds up to the same calories as a gym session alone if I hit 10K

But you have to find what you enjoy ...I'd strongly recommend the lifting because being strong makes you feel awesome and if you fancy taking a class do it for a couple of weeks you might like it

Oh and thank you for the compliment :)

I have actually dared to glance at the freeweights in our gym, haha! My main source of cardio right now is alternating between the Bodycombat classes and the elliptical. The freeweights area is all full of big men in tank tops with rippling biceps, so as vain as it might be I want to look a bit more like I even belong at the gym before I venture over there. Right now I think I almost have 'newbie' stamped on my forehead because I'm still so soft and unfit lol!

But I will make it over there once I gain a bit of confidence. I'm honestly not looking to get skinny so much as trim off all the wobbly bits that I don't need and look/feel like a badass so the weights are probably where I'll go in the end.

I get you ...a trainer could help

Or you could do some bodyweight stuff at home ...this is an excellent programme http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • webuiltthisnicky
    webuiltthisnicky Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I get you ...a trainer could help

Or you could do some bodyweight stuff at home ...this is an excellent programme http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Nerd Fitness is my FAVE!! My friend linked me to it when I signed up at the gym and I'm still finding my way around it, but it's full of really interesting advice and inspiration. Thanks for directing me to this article.
  • suerontur3
    suerontur3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi angel barbs: can you post a sample of one day if your food diary. I need some guidance. Thanks!
    I eat 1200 cals everyday and sometimes less and I don't seem to have a problem. But this is based on my body and I what I need. Know what your body needs and ask a doctor if you want :)
    I eat 1200 cals everyday and sometimes less and I don't seem to have a problem. But this is based on my body and I what I need. Know what your body needs and ask a doctor if you want :)

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Merci4u wrote: »
    MFP builds in a deficit each day so you will loose weight. When you exercise you 'earn' more calories to eat. Are you trying to loose weight or maintain and build fitness?

MFP puts me at 1200cal no matter what I put in - 1/2 pound, 1 pound or 2 pounds.

My guess is you're short and don't weigh all that much anymore. That means 1200 isn't far from your maintenance because MFP won't go below 1200 cals no matter how short you are (which makes not much sense to me that they're willing to put a 6'8" MAN on 1200 cal a day and a 4'10" woman not one calorie lower!)

• MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    suerontur3 wrote: »
    Hi angel barbs: can you post a sample of one day if your food diary. I need some guidance. Thanks!

You can look at my food diary, too. I'm trying to eat 1200-1300 until I lose at LEAST 3 more lbs. I'd rather keep up the 1000 cal deficit, and I can't go much higher with that. I actually lied yesterday to close it out--it said 1200, so I thought I was fine, but noooooo, there were partials in there that added up to 1098 on the main page. :P

Veg is your friend. Lotsa bulk, low calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Merci4u wrote: »
    MFP builds in a deficit each day so you will loose weight. When you exercise you 'earn' more calories to eat. Are you trying to loose weight or maintain and build fitness?

MFP puts me at 1200cal no matter what I put in - 1/2 pound, 1 pound or 2 pounds.

My guess is you're short and don't weigh all that much anymore. That means 1200 isn't far from your maintenance because MFP won't go below 1200 cals no matter how short you are (which makes not much sense to me that they're willing to put a 6'8" MAN on 1200 cal a day and a 4'10" woman not one calorie lower!)

It's 1500 for a man

And the minimums are about hitting macro and micro nutrient requirements
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I started out with SWORKIT (app) strength program. When I got a little stronger, I started Gillian M.'s 90-day shred. It's got enough strength that you can start to build a little muscle.

If I'm consistent and finish that AND the FitnessRum.com 90-day Challenge Level, I'm getting equipment to do Stronglifts in my basement. That's my reward!

FitBit makes we want to scream a little. LOL. I really need to hit 2200 calories burned today. I'm at....770. (I woke up before midnight, so this is 8 hours of being awake.) I don't think, with sleep, I'll make it. This is a rest day, so I'm not supposed to do anything terribly strenuous, but I'm already at 9,600 steps.

And honestly...I want a 200, 250 cal treat today. :D
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Oh, and why not a gym? Because I don't like the noise. INTROVERT here. I just won't go.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    The winner gets to eat the most and still lose.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I'm at rough 1200 and 1300, probably closer to 1300
    a typical day is 1 egg, English muffin lite or waffle lite, simple jam, string cheese lite, lite greek yogurt, apple/banana, half a sandwich with spinach and turkey or ham and cheddar cheese. then either kashi golean and skim milk or a small chicken breast with spinach and a tablespoon of dressing

my diary is open to my friends

I couldn't never eat at 1200 calories. Half a sandwich, a small chicken breast & just spinach! Good for you but I couldn't do it.
  • suerontur3
    Options
    Hi everyone, getting so discouraged. 3 weeks now haven't lost.
  • suerontur3
    Options
    My post got cut off. A few years ago I did Weight Watchers and lost 10 pounds in the first month. It seems tracking points worked better than counting calories. Has anyone else done WW and had better results? :'(

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    My post got cut off. A few years ago I did Weight Watchers and lost 10 pounds in the first month. It seems tracking points worked better than counting calories. Has anyone else done WW and had better results? :'(

It's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. WW's point system (which replace the exchange based plan) was supposed to make it easier to maintain a deficit without directly counting calories. This was good for the time period (90s) before food databases were easy to access.

The revised point system has some detractors because of the adjustments WW made to encourage fruits and vegetables (i.e. point free items), especially since certain fruits can add up in calories.

You can get results with WW just as well as with directly counting calories with MFP, it just matters which you prefer and how well you work the system.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, getting so discouraged. 3 weeks now haven't lost.

Do you weigh all your food on a food scale? and dont use any cups, spoons or serving sizes?
  • suerontur3
    Options
    I don't, but I will start weighing food on a scale.