Started my journey but still failing

Options
coolbluecris
coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
edited June 2015 in Motivation and Support
For the first time in a long time I care about wanting to change, but I'm going over by around 500 calories every day. I still have binge habits. Has anyone got themselves out of this?

I would appreciate any help :)

Replies

• jeaniemyork
    jeaniemyork Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Same way here :(
  • ALJohnson1980
    ALJohnson1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sounds like maybe your calorie goal is too low to keep you full. If you are working out harder / more often your fuel requirements go up. Starting with a 500 cal deficit from your TDEE is a good starting place but everybody is different. Its something that will that always need adjusting/fine tuning through out your fitness journey. Don't get frustrated. www.bodybuilding.com has loads of articles on nutrition, how to eat for energy, calculators for TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure). Hope this helps.
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    If you can't stop yourself eating the wrong things then you need to increase the exercise you do to compensate. Health is 80% diet and 20% exercise but if you start working out more it may help you to stop binging, maybe workout at a particular time of day when you binge if you can? Plus if I workout and don't eat enough of the correct foods I really feel the difference and then my body craves them.
  • runningminutz
    runningminutz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue too. I decided to change for the 1st time about one year ago but I continued to fail. Luckily I am a semi-pro runner, therefore I have a great amount of calories consumption every day. And, luckily again, it seems that since I have been subscribed to MFP, things are going better. Finger crossed to me...and good luck to you!
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You've only failed if you've given up. Keep going - you can do this!

Have you seen a physician or therapist re: binging? That would be a great place to start.

I've struggled with this, and find two things really helpful: a) planning my entire day's food in advance and b) holding myself accountable to workout and get back in the green if I overeat.

I don't always succeed, but I keep trying and getting better at it. You will too!
  • stevekoa
    stevekoa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good luck. Don't give up
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've been doing okay with not binging since joining mfp. Aside from true binges, I used to eat a lot of food without even noticing. A cookie here, a taste at the grocery store there, a bit of my friend's meal... Even a stop for a burger because dinner is pretty far away, and I am super busy and super hungry now. But later, I would have dinner anyway and not even remember that burger. It all adds up. What I do now is log all my meals and snacks in the morning. I don't log anything that takes me over in calories, macros, or micros. Then I only eat what has been logged. If I change what I am going to have later on, that's okay. But I still stop to update my diary first on my phone. If it takes me out of the green zone I either don't eat it, or adjust something else that I am going to have later on that day. Sometimes just the idea of knowing I need to stop and reconcile my diary will stop me from eating something. It's just that moment to think before putting anything in my mouth that I have found helpful with both binging and mindless eating. I also plan super yummy meals and snacks. Knowing that I don't need that whatever it is in front of me because I have curry planned for dinner helps. Good luck as you move forward in your journey. Oh and by the way... by no means have you failed. Keep at it. You'll get there:-]
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Please do not feel discouraged! You can never fail if you refuse to quit!

You may be going over by 500 calories, but think of how many you have NOT eaten just by being more mindful of your diet. I binge as well (I got to the candy coconut the last two days), but I am going to do better today. I will try to do better tomorrow. Add me as a friend, if you like! I found that having a bunch of positive people around me is what really keeps me sticking to it. Also, always be honest when you log. When I first started, I liked to keep my binges off of MFP so that I could pretend they didn't happen. Your diary is your friend. Seeing it all written down makes it impossible to ignore, and sometimes my binge wasn't as bad as I thought it was. :smile: Keep going strong!
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For the first time in a long time I care about wanting to change, but I'm going over by around 500 calories every day. I still have binge habits. Has anyone got themselves out of this?

I would appreciate any help :)

throw out whatever you binge eat, find a bunch of low calorie food that you know you'll enjoy eating. Chicken, eggs, tuna, veggies, fruits. don't drink your calories. Also sub out high calorie food for an alternative, instead of bacon do turkey bacon or sausage do chicken sausage,
  • coolbluecris
    coolbluecris Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Thank you so very much everyone!! I appreciate every word <3
  • amnesia503
    amnesia503 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anything that is bad in the house, get it out! Also, try eating more veggies for snacks to keep your calorie intake down. Salads, and even chicken breast which is full of protein and low in calories