cooking for one

Options
Tammikins
Tammikins Posts: 27 Member
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about cooking for one person. I only have myself to cook for and im looking for some new tasty and healthy ideas for meals thats dont involve too many ingredients...if thats possible! A lot of the recipies on here sound great but they yield more than i need and cutting down the recipes might cause a lot of waste. Any ideas are welcome! :smile:

Replies

• Tammikins
    Tammikins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas about cooking for one person. I only have myself to cook for and im looking for some new tasty and healthy ideas for meals thats dont involve too many ingredients...if thats possible! A lot of the recipies on here sound great but they yield more than i need and cutting down the recipes might cause a lot of waste. Any ideas are welcome! :smile:
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I live in a house were I cook for 7 people full time here and 1 is part time so I can't help with that, but I used to have a supervisor when I used to work that would make all her meals on the weekends for the week and freeze some of them in tupperware. She lived by herself and it was easier that way. If there is a recipe you like you could cut in half and just freeze the extra in a couple of containers you could always just pull one out and heat it up another day. Just figured it wouldn't be such a waste then.

Oh wait I just googled one person recipes and one person meals... Looks like cooks.com has a bunch of one person meals. Hope this helps:happy:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I usually cook for 3, but if I am home alone and want to prepare something healthy just for me......

Cut up some FRESH veges that you like (zucchini, carrots, red onion, asparagus, peppers, mushrooms.....some of all - or anything that you prefer)

Sautee in a 1/2 to 1 TBSP of oil until soft (crisp if you like, but I like mine kinda mushy and blackened!)

You can add a little balsamic vinegar or red wine (or both) to the veges for a little bit of taste if you like.

Then I add the cooked veges to 1/4 whole-wheat rice or whole-wheat pasta.

Healthy and good and just for one. Sometimes I prepare the double and eat one portion for lunch and save the other for the next day.
  • Jennifer09
    Options
    Hey Tammikins!

I try and cook things that last and can be made for multiple recipes. For example Sunday night I will make up a batch of lean hamburger and make a small batch of spaghetti, with the left over meat you can add taco seasoning and do a single taco salad, the next night add FF cream of mushroom soup, some green beans, FF cheese and a few tator tots and then you have tater tot casserole, etc. It's about fininding that base ingredient you can use throughout the week in multiple single serve ways. Hope that helps a little!

~Jennifer:bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I'd make the whole recipe, then freeze or refridgerate the leftovers for later meals. It will cut down on time later and also I find freezing prepared meals keeps me from having to trow out spoiled groceries :grumble:
    Just keep lots of fresh veggies around for sidesalads and you're set! I have a friend who cook enough for the week on the weekend and then portions it and freezes it....... She's too busy to cook during the week with work and all....... so you kind of have a tv dinner there waiting for you, only it's healthy! :wink: