Whats your favorite healthy alternatives?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    chicken sausage over reg
    FF Milk instead of 2%
    Breyers Blasts instead of Ben & Jerry's
    grilled chicken instead of fried
    slices of bread increase of rolls
    splenda over sugar
    skim milk over creamer
    greek yogurt over reg yogurt
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Awesome posts!

While I agree that "replacing foods" isn't something every one does. If it fits your diet, it fits your diet but some people have less to work with or what more later than now.

Its the same idea as buying store brand vs name brand. Its just a mind thing and could save you in the long run (money or cals). After I eat dinner I ALWAYS want a chocolaty fix. Ive learned that a chocolate protein bars can help that just as well as 6 Oreos or a bar of Hersheys.

Keep em coming! *takes notes*
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    Instead of full fat ice cream, opt for frozen yogurt, no sugar added, slow churned, etc.

How is frozen yogurt or slow-churned any better? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they had basically the same amount of calories as full-fat ice cream.

Slow churned specifically has 1/3 less calories on average (according to Edy's website), and frozen yogurt is made with yogurt rather than whole milk or cream, which saves you a lot of calories!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't do a lot of substituions because a lot of the time the nutritional differences are marginal, but still sacrificing a lot. I have, however found some that I actually like better than the original.

Zucchini or squash instead of pasta. - I've never really liked pasta, but I love squash
    Fat free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream or mayo - It tastes better and unlike sour cream or mayo, has redeeming qualities
    Cauliflower alfredo sauce - I was a skeptic too, but had a head of cauliflower I didn't know what to do with so I decided to try the recipe. It's amazing, better than Alfredo sauce and easy to make. Unlike other swaps where you might save 10 calories in return for more sugar and salt, this recipe over actual Alfredo sauce can save upwards of 300 calories!

With higher calorie foods I tend to eat them in smaller doses and add them to a vegetable rich meal. For example, bacon I love and refuse to substitute with turkey bacon. I will make it with a veggie omelette loaded with spinach, peppers, onion, tomato and a light sprinkling of cheese.

NOPE lol. It tastes... like cauliflower.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I swapped bags of chips for seaweed snacks, same crunch and salt for way less calories. A large entree for a smaller entree plus salad, still get the good part but you get full for less.