Time taken to lose water weight?

Options
Carnhot
Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
A question for those who know: on average, if there is such a thing, how long does it take the body to stop needing the water it is using to rebuild musclecafter exercise? Thanks in anticipation.

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It takes me 10-14 days to lose water weight. Many people lose water weight in a couple days. I'm a weirdo.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Thanks. Mine seems to.have gone now, miraculously vanishing overnight☺
  • melvin_lazeron
    melvin_lazeron Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    drinking 4-5L a day. and ussually ver low sodium +- 2grams. if i intend to eat 5 grams, i retain 600-1000grams of water. if i go back normal sodium intake, i lose it in 2 days.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Thanks. I am trying to put my recent slowed weight loss down to water retention since it started after I took up BodyPump again. I suspect that the truth of the matter is just that as I get smaller there is less of me to burn calories heaving about. Pump was on Monday. We shall see...
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, my body hangs on to exercise water weight much longer than sodium weight. A week or more, easily.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I lose a good 4 pounds of water weight every time I swim 4 miles :)
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    eh this is the first time I hear of this,what is this water weight you are talking about?
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    It's more about glycogen (muscle fuel) loading. Pretty much every g of carb you store you hold 2g of water with it. That's what gets you through 60-120 mins of intense exercise, but it means you can bounce around 1-4 lbs pretty easily even if you're light.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Water weight from additional exercise takes about a week for me. Water weight from excess sodium takes a day or two. Water weight from excess carbs takes closer to 5 days. Water weight from hot, humid weather takes about 2 days after the humidity goes down.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    It's more about glycogen (muscle fuel) loading. Pretty much every g of carb you store you hold 2g of water with it. That's what gets you through 60-120 mins of intense exercise, but it means you can bounce around 1-4 lbs pretty easily even if you're light.

Ahhh,this explains a lot...specially on super maniac DOMS days..thank you
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    After even one meal (Chinese Buffet) having a lot of sodium, my weight may jump +6 lb or more; and, will return to "normal" after three days of normal eating.