So who gets the joke?

Options
calbadger
calbadger Posts: 283 Member
The past few weeks, since it's summer, I have been posting different things on the cubicles in my general work area. I'm an IT Project Manager. There is a conference room right near us and people waiting for meetings tend to not keep their voices down. It's quite annoying.

So, since we estimate that 81.26975% of IT worker are OCD, I have been posting off-kilter images. Today, it was a bunch of Escher drawings and a fractal display with strange attractors and the following. Mind you, this is on a single page of paper. Does anyone get the joke?

Prove that a^n + b^n = c^n has no solutions in positive integers, if n is an integer greater than 2.

[Solve in the space provided.]

Replies

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    30 minutes, no response... dud...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Something something cube root pythagorean theorem mumble mumble? I was an English major, so I might have forgotten something integeral to getting this joke...
  • calbadger
    Options
    Fermat's Last Theorem. He supposedly solved it in a very elegant fashion. It remained unsolved for centuries. It was finally solved recently with computer assistance, but at a length of 295 pages. The joke is trying to solve it on a single piece of paper, as supposedly Fermat did.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that Fermat actually did have the proof, from what I gather.
  • calbadger
    Options
    One would expect so.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    calbadger wrote: »
    Fermat's Last Theorem. He supposedly solved it in a very elegant fashion. It remained unsolved for centuries. It was finally solved recently with computer assistance, but at a length of 295 pages. The joke is trying to solve it on a single piece of paper, as supposedly Fermat did.

Hysterical. Seriously. It is now that I know the joke but I was I was a mather so would have gotten it without the help. That would have tickled me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    hq7gxqfl5xrvduta7o5j.gif
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    The first post was too long...and had math
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    Saw it was maths=zoned out....
  • Jag7694
    Jag7694 Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    This is the chit chat fun and games forum. This must fall into the chit chat portion.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    MrsBooBear wrote: »

I think I might love you
  • MrsBooBear
    MrsBooBear Posts: 12,619 Member
    Options
    MrsBooBear wrote: »

I think I might love you