Buffalo chicken salad

Options
missiontofitness
missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
I'm a huge chicken salad fan, and I concocted this recipe earlier this year when I had some extra buffalo sauce on hand, and wanted to see what would happen if I added it to a traditional chicken salad recipe. The result was amazing!

All you need to do is bake/broil chicken breasts in the oven until fully cooked. Let them cool down in the fridge, and then tear them apart into bite size pieces. Add in your favorite mayo; I prefer light mayo, and add it in a little at a time until the chicken is lightly coated. To that, add some finely chopped red onion and diced celery. Finally, pour in some Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce, and mix it all together. I also add in a little coursely ground black pepper and garlic powder to mine, and sometimes some crushed red pepper flakes if I'm feeling adventurous.

The calories will vary based on the amount of chicken/brand and type of mayo you use, as well as the amount of celery and onion you use. Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce is advertised as 0 calories on its label, so this is a great wing sauce to use that is easy on your deficit but packs a punch in flavor. My last batch yielded the following macros for a 5 ounce serving: 140 calories, 22g protein, 6g fat, and 2g of carbohydrates. Not too bad!

Replies

• lcooke24
    lcooke24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    This sounds good! I'll be trying this. Thank you!
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I make something very similar! I love it!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    GREAT timing! I just made chicken salad yesterday & tastes kinda blaa. I going to add some of Franks WS into it !
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    1stday13 wrote: »
    GREAT timing! I just made chicken salad yesterday & tastes kinda blaa. I going to add some of Franks WS into it !

You will not regret it!
  • laura_lee414
    laura_lee414 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy
  • pjb82361
    pjb82361 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing
  • missiontofitness
    edited June 2015
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    next time instead of mayo use half and avocado, mix it with franks hot sauce and the veggies. After that mix in the cooked chicken. I started using avocados as "mayo" and have never looked back.

Eh; that's not really my thing. I love mayo, and it's an item I like to fit in to my day. If it works for you, though, awesome!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    pjb82361 wrote: »
    Sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing

You're welcome!
  • CrumCPT
    CrumCPT Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this. Thanks!
  • sadielane
    sadielane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I make a similar one but I use shredded carrots (celery is blech, lol) and plain greek yogurt instead of mayo.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I do mine with Wishbone fat free blue cheese dressing and Buffalo wing sauce. I add in Treasure Cave blue cheese crumbles too.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    next time instead of mayo use half and avocado, mix it with franks hot sauce and the veggies. After that mix in the cooked chicken. I started using avocados as "mayo" and have never looked back.

Crazyravr: Good tip! Do you ever have to worry about the avocado turning brown and unappetizing? Or do you eat it all right away?

70044776.png
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I do mine with Wishbone fat free blue cheese dressing and Buffalo wing sauce. I add in Treasure Cave blue cheese crumbles too.

I absolutely love TC's blue cheese!
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the hot sauce! I combine with Ranch dressing instead of the mayo.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Gotta love the hot sauce! I combine with Ranch dressing instead of the mayo.

.......You are on to something!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hmm this sounds good... Gonna try Greek Yogurt and a Ranch packet for extra proteinz.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty!
  • potatogirl741
    potatogirl741 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Hmm this sounds good... Gonna try Greek Yogurt and a Ranch packet for extra proteinz.

Looks like I need to stop at the grocery store tonight...
  • angeldani27
    angeldani27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually get a rotisserie chicken and shred it, then pour Frank's on it and make a chicken salad. I use Greek and TC blue cheese to make a dressing.