Make ahead dish that feeds a lot of people

Options
addiec1
addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
Does anyone have any dishes that are good to make ahead and feed lots of people. My mother in law is moving across the country to live closer to us. Next weekend will be dedicated to helping her unpack, get situated etc. I've volunteered to have food for all the helpers (around 10 people) and now I'm stumped for ideas. It needs to be something that I can make at my house and reheat at hers since her kitchen will largely be a mess. Also can't include peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, or any type of poultry due to allergies. Main dish, side dishes, and dessert recipes all welcome

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Chili
    lasagna with vegan cheese
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    beef stew
  • 905browneyedgirl
    905browneyedgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    chili
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, although Chilli on a 90 degree day when people have been moving furniture and stuff all day, is probably not the type of food people will want.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Big group of people? Sandwiches. Provide bread, non-tree-nut spread (like sunbutter, which is made from sunflower seeds), non-dairy spreads (mayo, mustard), cold cuts, cheese (for people who want it), lettuce, pickles, tomato, & onion. For sides I would do fruit and chips, applesauce singles. Dessert- fruit popsicles are nondairy and a cool relief after moving furniture all day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Frittata - you can bake huge trays ahead of time and include lots of vegies.

BBQ? Burgers - provide buns, salads, sauces... People can create their own meals.

Fruit salad, jelly (jello?), cupcakes/cake/cookies?
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Crockpot pulled pork. Let it cook the night before and bring it her house. Goes well with a side salad or coleslaw.
    You would probably need to make 1 1/2 times this recipe for 10 people :smile:

PULLED PORK IN A CROCK POT
    Serves: 6 - 8

INGREDIENTS
    3 tablespoons paprika
    1 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ cup honey
    ¼ cup red wine vinegar
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 onion, peeled and cut in half
    3 to 3 ½ pounds pork shoulder, cut in half
    INSTRUCTIONS
    In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the first six ingredients (all of the spices) with a fork.
    Pour in the honey, vinegar, and olive oil and stir to form a paste.
    Place the onion in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top it with the 2 pieces of pork and then pour the honey paste over all sides of the pork pieces. It’s okay if some of it (or a lot of it) just drips down to the bottom.
    Turn the slow cooker on to low and cook for 7 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender enough to be easily shredded with a fork.
    Serve warm with fixings like homemade cole slaw and cornbread. My husband also likes his dipped in a little hot sauce. Refrigerate or freeze the leftovers.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches, wraps, fruit, chips,
  • meadowlark42
    meadowlark42 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For big crowds that include picky eaters (aka most of my friends ;), I love doing taco-bar style meals. Chop all your veg ahead of time, cook the meat and beans, cool everything and put it in an ice chest. When it's time to eat, reheat the beans and meat (stovetop or microwave), set out the bowls of veg and warm the tortillas, then everyone can build their own tacos to meet their individual tastes :). Add a simple green salad to round it off, and margaritas to celebrate all your hard work ;) good luck on the move!