Strength or Hypertrophy?

Options
jessef593
jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
Im currently giving Strong lifts 5x5 a shot. It consists of all compound movements.
Day 1: Squats, Bench Press, Bent over Barbell row, and parallel bar dips 3xfailure and negatives
Day 2: Squats, Standing Overhead Press, Conventional deadlift, and chin ups/pull-ups 3xfailure with negatives
Repeat day 1 but add 5lbs to all 3 main exercises and attempt to achieve a 5x5 set and reps. If failure on any set repeat same weight on following cycle. If you fail 3 workouts in a row lower the weight by 10-20% and reprocess. Dips/chin-ups are accessory moves

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts programs in the range for "strength" rather than hypertrophy (5x5). That doesn't mean you won't build muscle if you're following it while eating enough, but it does mean the primary goal of the lifting patterns is to lift heavier things, not build more muscle.
  • jessef593
    Options
    Yeah sorry I meant to reply to another guys post and accidentally posted my own discussing. I was mainly just trying out 5x5 to take a break from high rep ranges and try to increase my actual strength for abit. Thanks for the reply though man! Definitely would've been very informative!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Hey I think the informative reply came from someone who's not a man. Just sayin
  • jessef593
    Options
    Thanks not sure how I would've known, and I often use "man" as a unisex term as some one say "friend" or "mate".
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

jessef593 wrote: »
    Thanks not sure how I would've known,

Yeah, it's hard to know in forums, so best not to make assumptions, imo. But yeah if you call everyone "man", that's different
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I call everyone dude. No worries. :)
  • jessef593
    Options
    Everybody's happy!
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Great program. Ran it myself for almost a year before finishing it to move on. Establishes a good foundation of strength and then you move on to whatever best aligns with your goals going forward.