Protein Pancake! (omelet?!?)

Options
Spyer116
Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
edited June 2015 in Recipes
Has anyone ever tried making some form or variation of a protein pancake or omelet?
What was it like? Any suggestions or tips? What kind of ingredients or recipes do you have for yours?

I looked up a recipe, and tried it out. Although slightly different / my own variation as I didn't have some of the ingredients.
And I mean. It was a bit weird. But It was nice enough. Also, (probably failure on my part, since I can't cook for my life and am clueless about it), it turned out more like an omelet.
vdwwcov6tv69.png

Recipe called for - Whey protein powder, greek yogurt, some almond milk. So that's where mine deviated. I have a slow digesting protein powder, used a fat free yogurt, and no almond milk. And I added the flax seeds, cause why not - i had them lying about.

About 2/3rds of the almond flakes and flax seeds were blended with all the ingredients. The remaining, I got the idea at the last minute, to just 'sprinkle' onto the mixture when it was on the frying pan and have them whole and fried/toasted/etc
And only just now am I realising the recipe called for 1/4 cup whey protein powder. and 1/8 cup greek yogurt.
I don't know those measurements, but when looking up, 1/4 cup is supposed to be 55g protein powder, and 1/8 cup is like 30g yogurt?

But overall, although the taste was a little weird (strawberry cream flavoured protein powder), it was still nice enough. Even if it was more omelet like lol.
And i'm hoping that for being so calorie heavy, that since its full of slow digesting protein, lots of fiber, and lots of healthy fats, along with some complex carbs, that it'll keep me full/satisfied for 4-6 hours. And if it does, I might start making it more often.
Also it looked pretty nice. pale pink coloured pancake/omelet toasted a perfect golden brown / caramel colour with almond flakes and flax seeds spread throughout it. And then I had a nice drenching of 0 calorie butterscotch syrup on it :smiley:

Replies

• Spyer116
    Options
    Update: I would recommend this breakfast for anyone that wants a long lasting satiating / filling meal. I went almost 7 hours, skipping lunch, before having dinner. And didn't have any hunger or cravings or desire to eat until dinner time. And even then, I was in an "I could eat" mood, not outright hungry or starving or anything.

I wasn't as active today as I would usually be during the week when working. But I did I decent 3+ hours of walking since having breakfast. I would say its safe to assume, that if you have an active job or lifestyle that is taxing enough, You'd probably feel hungry sooner than the 6-7 hours.

And also, since the ingredients I used in the recipe were half way improvised. That you could change them up as you please as well.
    Changing to any flavour protein powder you have / want (vanilla or banana might be good flavours). Although just as a guess, I'd recommend using casein or some form of slow digesting protein, just to keep the satiety of the meal high. (Rather than whey or other fast digesting protein. But again, its totally interchangable it seems)

Use any sort of nuts, brazil nuts, pecans, walnuts, etc etc. Flaked almonds are just what was in the cupboard, when i run out of them, I'll be trying other kinds myself.

Flax seeds are completely optional. NOt even in the original recipe. I just had them there as well. Other kinds of seeds should be good too. I'd recommend keeping some form in though. As the healthy fats, and fiber and what not are partly what made it as satiating as it was. :)

Also thinking of trying some variation with oatbran or rolled oats next time, for some more complex carbs or just changing up the macronutrient rating. :)
  • Spyer116
    Options
    Will take a picture the next time I make it!