I've started to gain inches while losing weight

First off I'd just like to say I don't exercise so it's not muscle. Up until 2 months ago I was steadily losing 1 - 1.5" per month off my chest and waist but last month I stayed the same and this month I actually gained 0.5" while losing 9lbs over the last two months (75lbs total). I'm just wondering why? Could it be to do with loose skin? I don't have mounds of it like you see on TV, but I have some.

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    .5 inches isn't that much. You might have lost enough weight that your tape placement is a bit off!
    Congrats on the loss
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    You might be holding the tape measure in a slightly different place.
    1/2 an inch isn't anything to worry about really.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    It was more the fact I had gained 0.5" in two months instead of losing my usual 1 - 2" inches while still losing weight. I still have a gut and I hate it, it seems like no matter how much I lose none of the fat will come from there :D
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Ha! Sounds like me!

You might have just lost the fat in weird places. I lost weight on my wrists, small of my back, neck, etc. 40lbs down and only 2 inches off the gut!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    I still have a gut and I hate it, it seems like no matter how much I lose none of the fat will come from there :D

Everyone has a part of their body where fatloss is harder.
    With me, it's my thighs. :'(
    Just gotta keep going and eventually the fat will come off your stomach.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I wouldn't worry. Tape placement is so unreliable. I've lost just shy of 45 pounds and every time I measure my hips, I keep getting the same thing as when I started... and yet my old pants fall off me. Console yourself with the fact that up until now, you are obviously better with the tape measure than I am!
  • SteveMFP123
    My rubbish day continues, every 3 months I take photos and usually I notice a big difference but not this time, I've lost 13lbs in that time but I honestly can't see a difference at all, so where that 13lbs came off from I don't know. I'm not really ready to throw a party for my thin wrists! I haven't felt this deflated in awhile I have to say. Looking at my day 1 photo helped though, I was so, so big and I never want to go back to that.
  • moonstone82
    moonstone82 Posts: 31 Member
    First off I'd just like to say I don't exercise so it's not muscle. Up until 2 months ago I was steadily losing 1 - 1.5" per month off my chest and waist but last month I stayed the same and this month I actually gained 0.5" while losing 9lbs over the last two months (75lbs total). I'm just wondering why? Could it be to do with loose skin? I don't have mounds of it like you see on TV, but I have some.

I most say profile should say if people or male or female. So if you a male sorry for this post.

Is there any chance you could be preganct? because in early pregnancy there a slate change in the wading off hip userly in the first month. Witch may explain you wight Los and gaining 1/2 inch.

• SteveMFP123

I most say profile should say if people or male or female. So if you a male sorry for this post.

Is there any chance you could be preganct? because in early pregnancy there a slate change in the wading off hip userly in the first month. Witch may explain you wight Los and gaining 1/2 inch.

I'm a man, so if I am pregnant I'm about to make serious money from a reality TV show :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    You're losing weight, so way to go! I would guess that the tape measure is in a different place, or you're holding it looser?
  • moonstone82
    moonstone82 Posts: 31 Member
    Like I say profile don't say so again sorry. :D at lest you got a lol out off it.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Most likely? Water. Water collects around your belly.

With me, the hardest place to lose fat...is my butt. Go ahead. Hate me. lol.

(I always have big arms, though!)

First place my weight goes is my back.
  • kazgorat
    kazgorat Posts: 6 Member
    Hi,

If you are dieting to lose weight and not exercising, you could be losing muscle mass in addition to fat. Not only will exercising help in retaining muscle mass, it will also help melt the pounds off faster.

Start small: Walk for 20-30 minutes a day. Maybe buy some cheap dumbbells so you can get some strength training as well.

The easiest, rapid weight loss, in my personal experience, always happens at the beginning. Once I reach a certain point, I really need to work harder to continue to progress. The body also develops set points, and it can sometimes be difficult to break out of them.

I am thinking an exercise program might be just what you need to get things moving again.

Just my opinion...Good Luck!