I need your help-I want to quit smoking.

Options
I've only been doing this site for a few days, but I am constantly reminded of how good it feels to be healthy. I love drinking all my water for the day, it makes me feel like I'm cleaning out my pipes. I love strength training-I feel like I can see all my baby muscles getting tighter. And I love that I am doing yoga again. I had massive surgery done to my body 4 months ago and my yoga training had to stop. So to be able to do it and feel strong and powerful makes me so, so happy.

But yesterday, I tried to do jumping jacks. I planned on doing three sets of 5 minutes each- giving me 15 minutes total with 60 seconds in between each set. As sure as i sit here on my laptop, I couldn't do more than two minutes before i was wheezing so badly that I literally couldn't breathe.

I've only been smoking for a year. I did it when I went to college as a form of rebellion and it fit the party scene I quickly became absorbed in. But I don't want to smoke anymore. My lungs couldn't take two minutes of jumping jacks. I was a cross country runner not two years ago-I'm talking runner of the week, running 6 miles in the hottest of hot Atlanta weather. I just couldn't believe it. I'm so disappointed in myself.

I figured I'd worry about quitting after I lost my weight-it helps with food cravings. But now, I tell all of you I'm stopping from being a pack a day smoker to smoking nothing. My fiancée has decided to quit with me. Between that and my food cravings, I don't know how I'm going to not kill him,. but I'll try.

If anyone has a word of advice or has been here before, please let me know. Thank you!

-Jess'

Replies

• kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker but I wanted to congratulate you on making one of the best decisions you can for yourself! I wish you all the best!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My mom was a fantatic smoker; I thought she wouldn't come over to my apartment when I first moved out because she couldn't smoke inside. She was a rude smoker . . . and she quit a little over 3 years ago. I was astonished that she was going to quit smoker after so many YEARS of trying to talk her into quiting. She used Chantex. She started with 1 month, couldn't get a refill over that weekend and was terrified she'd start smoking again. She didn't. And she hasn't smoked one since. Perhaps you could ask your doctor about Chantex.
  • crking
    crking Posts: 175
    Options
    My uncle passed away from Lung Cancer 2 years ago. He smoked for many years of his life. He finally decided to quit when my little cousins were born. He hurt his back at work and when you went for an MRI, they found the cancer. It was to late to stop it. He passed away 6 months later. He was only 45 and left behind my 2 little cousins who are now 5 and 9. He is my inspiration for everything I do in life. He has taught me to take nothing for granted because it could be gone at any minute.

I tell this story because I want people to know what smoking is not worth it. It is not worth your own life and it is not worth having your family lose you. I know it won't be easy. Just like weight loss, it's not easy. But you need to try. You have already completed the first step my recognizing you need to quit. Find a support system that will stick by your side through the struggle and you can do it. Just don't think the easier thing to do is to keep smoking. It is much much worse.

You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    The way your talking, I think you'll be just fine. I've found that you really have to want to quit.. this last time was at least my 5th attempt. I quit for the duration of my pregnancy and nursing but started again... luckily just about 1-2 a day. My husband still smokes, and in the beginning it was very hard, but now it just grosses me out.

Think of how much you love the exercise, feeling healthy and suceeding, that will help. Also having your fiancee not only supporting you, but sharing the journey with you will be much help! Keep some sugar free gum near by, works great for those cravings as well as food. Feel free to add me as a friend.

You can do it!
  • kimbot
    kimbot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack every 2 days for 17 years before i quit on Dec. 1, 2008, one day after i turned 32. I got a very bad respiratory infection and i had to go to the doctor to get a breathing treatment on a nebulizer. I learned I developed asthma and bronchitis as a result of my smoking. The doctor told me if I had to come back for the same thing within the next 3 months, i was going to have to get a nebulizer for home. I didn't want that, and not to mention how I would get winded just going up a flight of steps. So i honestly JUST QUIT. No patches, no gums, nothing. While i was sick i didn't smoke and when i got better (with antibiotics) I didn't want to smoke. Now, im not gonna say it was easy and I didn't have any cravings, but about 3 months after i quit, i took a puff of my friends cigg, and it was the most disgusting thing! And thats when I never looked back. I really hope you can quit and shake your addiction, because if you don't, you will only get sicker with time, you wont have any breath to exercise, and it will make your teeth yellow and your hair and clothes stink. GOOD LUCK!:flowerforyou:
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different. My father stopped after 40 years and 2 packs/day. Just came home and said he was quitting and never smoked again.

It took my mother a year to quit. She was a total wreck and she started up again in her 60's until she died.
  • TwinsPlus3
    Options
    I smoked for 18 years. 4 years ago, I put them down and have been smoke-free since. I did gain some weight but I want to tell you that every single pound is worth it. I wouldn't pick those things back up now for ANYTHING. I don't know if you are a spiritual person, but, for me, I prayed my way to being free of that addiction. I have already prayed for you.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    my mother is a smoker. since she couldn't do any of the nicorette stuff b/c she broke out in hives she would cut her cigarettes.

she would cut 1/4 & smoke that for a while. then 1/2 then smoke that for a while. then she'd cut that in half til she stopped smokin.

GOOD LUCK!! :flowerforyou:
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    My mom was a fantatic smoker; I thought she wouldn't come over to my apartment when I first moved out because she couldn't smoke inside. She was a rude smoker . . . and she quit a little over 3 years ago. I was astonished that she was going to quit smoker after so many YEARS of trying to talk her into quiting. She used Chantex. She started with 1 month, couldn't get a refill over that weekend and was terrified she'd start smoking again. She didn't. And she hasn't smoked one since. Perhaps you could ask your doctor about Chantex.

Good call!! Several of the women in my office quit using this -- and these women were hardcore, country gal, started-smoking-when-I-was-eleven type smokers. There were 5 that started to quit together, and of them all only one started back up. I think having a support network helped them out, so sounds like you already will have that. :)

I smoked on and off for 6 years and you really just have to want to quit to do it for good. Write down a list of reasons and motivations for when you're feeling a craving. Good luck and congratulations!!
  • slcbrus
    slcbrus Posts: 79
    Options
    I quit smoking a few years back using Allan Carr's book "Easy Way to Quit Smoking for Women" (U.K. edition). It works for some people but for others not. Still, I am proof it does work! It was pretty easy, after 4 difficult days, mostly during the evening, I was free and still am after almost 4 years! I did it, so can you.

http://www.allencarrseasyway.com/
    http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Women-Stop-Smoking-Revolutionary/dp/1402765509/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_4
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I quit when I joined here. A little over 3 months now.

I had a revelation similar to you. I was walking around the block while my son rode his bike and I was gasping for air.

I decided if I was going to eat right, log my food, and start exercising, then why the hell was I smoking? And I just stopped.

I think you have to WANT it for it to succeed, and you sound like you do. I smoked for 15 years, and every other time I tried to quit it was because I was pregnant (always started right back up after both of them) or because someone told me I should. Not until I had that "aha" moment was I able to do it with NO problem. It doesn't even appeal to me in the slightest now. I think it's disgusting and smells gross now.

Amazing what the mind can do.

Good luck and you CAN do it!!!
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    my mother is a smoker. since she couldn't do any of the nicorette stuff b/c she broke out in hives she would cut her cigarettes.

she would cut 1/4 & smoke that for a while. then 1/2 then smoke that for a while. then she'd cut that in half til she stopped smokin.

GOOD LUCK!! :flowerforyou:

That's a crafty idea!! Glad it worked for her!!
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    if you really want to quit...I mean REALLY want to deep down, you will. I smoked for 14 years before i quit. And from experience I can tell you if you don't 100% want to stop and make that commitment, you won't.
    It sounds like you do really want to and I promise you it will be easier now than it is in another year. The best advice I have is pick a quit date and just do it. It's going to stink, it's going to be hard but its going to be the best thing you ever did for yourself. I wish you luck!
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    oh darn i so feel for you. i hated smoking all my life detested it. avoided the smoke everything. even gave my nan lectures on passive smoking. and i few yrs of being sick and out of work i cant walk btw. and i pick it up from my girlfriend im sooo disgusted in myself. then she didnt buy any and i got real narky at her deciding to quit without telling me and the shops were shut!
    whats worsei hide it from everyone. i sneak it to my family just one or two for a two day stay. bah. feel like a criminal!
    and i sooo dont want asthma... my grandad died of lung cancer four months ago. go figure.
  • Lululuv
    Lululuv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's now been twenty years, but my mom quit using the patch. I have several patients that have quit using Chantix. I believe those that were not successful with it were not at the point that you are....WANTING TO QUIT. You can do it!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I just quit again 3 weeks ago ..... COLD TURKEY .... i had tried many times in the past but this time i said enough is enough .... and i havent had one since May 23 ..... you can do this..... :flowerforyou:
  • Kudzu
    Kudzu Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My quit date was April 30, 2010.....I bought a book called "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. He has a different outlook at smoking and quitting! It has been my motivation!! You can google it and get info on it. I "heard" about it here on MFP. In the Search, type smoking or stop smoking and there are all kinds of information on there. Also, the American Cancer Society has alot of good info! I find that deep breathing helps--like in the car when someone pulls out in front of me, etc. instead of lighting up I breathe very deeply many times!! I also find that my walking helps alot---

Good Luck!! Feel free to friend me for support!
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    i smoked for about 10 yrs, and been smoke free for over 2 now. Remember that quitting smoking is similar to watchig what you eat in that there are 'triggers' you need to avoid. For me alcohol was unbearable without a cigarrette so I essentially did not drink at all the first year quitting smoking. Contrast that type of triggere with say my coffee addiction where I found that although I wanted the cigarrette, my will power wasn't strained too much with the coffee drinking and I could overcome the craving and still find enjoyment in the coffee....but the alcohol ALWAYs led to a cigarrette.

Find your triggers - avoid the ones that will just not be possible to overcome in the short term.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    I am going to quit smoking next week. Figure I'll give myself a week without Dr.Pepper before I take my other addiction away.
    several years ago, I quit for about 6 months by drinking water... and we need water to lose weight. The oral fixation of smoking can be addressed by drinking all our water through a straw. So, its like a double bonus.
    The amount of water you drink through a straw when you want a cigarette will most likley exceed the 8 glasses a day needed.
    That's my plan anyway.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into Chantex as was stated earlier. I have heard about a new drug that really helps people quit smoking, and I think that was it. I don't think it has any major side effects. If you are determined to quit smoking cold turkey, I have heard that regular gum can help. If you cannot quit cold turkey, don't beat yourself up. Quitting smoking is one of the most difficult things in life to do. Don't be afraid to try different methods to help you.

Also, do you still live in the Atlanta area? I live is Roswell Go A-town. Woo!