Looking for a running app with timers?

Options
Does anyone know of an app that will let me listen to my own music and set timers so I know when to start running/walking?

I'm trying to get back into running after a break. I've done the NHS C25k before and really liked it but as I'm not starting from the beginning again I want to be able to set my own intervals and listen to my own music!

I've had a look on the app store (I have an android phone) and Runtastic sounds like it'll do what I want it to, but I'm not sure what's included with the free version and what I have to upgrade for. Has anyone used it or can recommend a better one?

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    endomondo. Runtastic, Mapmyrun ...... Try the free versions and see what suits you I use endomondo primarily but sometimes I do use runtastic as it has a couple of features I use on occasion
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I already have Mapmyrun, I use it to log my runs/workouts but as far as I could see there's no option to listen to my music and have it tell me when I've been running for 5 minutes then 3 minutes then another 5 etc. I know it'll tell me when I've done a mile if I have GPS on but I've always found that super inaccurate.

I'll have a look at Runtastic see if that has that option.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Most running apps only offer custom workouts in the premium version. Check out runkeeper. Somewhere hidden in there is a way to create custom workouts for free (I think click on the workout select button and scroll all the way to the bottom). I think it also works with music. If you're a bit tech-savvy and use iphone you might want to look into ismoothrun. It's not a free app, but it's probably the best one out there. I'm sure it works with music but I have not tried it yet as I enjoy the singing of birds more.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    MOVES automatically recognises walking,running, cycling etc...no need to start, it counts steps, calories and distance along with pace and map, since it runs in a background you can listen to your music or anything that you fancy- and it's free.
  • activeinmysixties
    activeinmysixties Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a bigger fan of the add on concept. I have used apps in the past, but they use the battery power like there is no tomorrow and they are not as accurate as the gps based HRM. I am a Garmin user - and recently I came across a $99 refurbished forerunner 210. You download it to their garmin connect website for analysis and then you can link it to MFP. The other brand I am aware of is Polar. I have a Polar H7 bluetooth (about $50-60)for my Mapmyfitness. I only use it in the gym because I can see the HR on the bike/treadmill. If you use an app - you may need to use a bluetooth HRM if you want track HR. In any case - using GPS on your smart phone drain the battery on your phone
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k. the unpaid app lets you build a playlist, too.
  • MsNeumann
    MsNeumann Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just searched for an interval timer app and downloaded a free one. It's basic, but does everything I need and I run it along with my iTunes and also map my run at the same time. A little drain on the battery but not too bad.
  • Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've found that NHS c25k has released an app since I did it the first time and that does exactly what I want! I'm going to keep this page bookmarked though for when I'm done with the c25k.
  • JamesScapes
    JamesScapes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Strava!! I use it religiously
  • heatherbeau
    heatherbeau Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of an app that will let me listen to my own music and set timers so I know when to start running/walking?

I'm trying to get back into running after a break. I've done the NHS C25k before and really liked it but as I'm not starting from the beginning again I want to be able to set my own intervals and listen to my own music!

I've had a look on the app store (I have an android phone) and Runtastic sounds like it'll do what I want it to, but I'm not sure what's included with the free version and what I have to upgrade for. Has anyone used it or can recommend a better one?
    Runtastic does that, it will play the music on your phone, but if you try to use another app (Pandora or another streaming app) it will stop the Runtastic app..