Protein powder oatmeal: HOW?

Options
barbecuesauce
barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
I want to eat protein powder oatmeal, but I think I don't know how to do it. I've tried putting it in the oatmeal and then microwaving it (it turns to plastic) or scooping it into cooked oatmeal(had a grainy consistency, even after being thoroughly stirred). How do people do it?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I stir it after but yes it has a weird consistency... so I never do it.
  • rongata
    rongata Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Probably the best way is to make it as a smoothie, half cup oatmeal, cup of almond milk, one scoop of protein blend and enjoy.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    If I ever have oatmeal (rarely), I cook the oatmeal with water. I add my protein powder in after and it is a little bit thicker, so I add some more water in.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    rongata wrote: »
    Probably the best way is to make it as a smoothie, half cup oatmeal, cup of almond milk, one scoop of protein blend and enjoy.

Yeah, I just want to see if it's possible to do it as hot oatmeal without weird texture issues.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I stir it after but yes it has a weird consistency... so I never do it.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I stirred and stirred.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    If I ever have oatmeal (rarely), I cook the oatmeal with water. I add my protein powder in after and it is a little bit thicker, so I add some more water in.

You don't have a grainy texture?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Not when I last did it. Just the protein powder didn't taste the best.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I might be doing it wrong, but I didn't die or get sick.

Here's what I do: I use old fashioned (long cooking) rolled oats. I use my food scale to weigh out however many grams of oatmeal I want, however many grams of protein powder I want (based on how many grams are in the "scoop" serving size and how much of a scoop I wanted to use), and then however many grams of anything else I want that day (ex. Brown sugar, cinnamon, fruit, almonds on top, etc). I put everything in a pot on the stove (except almonds if I'm using them) and add in some extra water to account for the protein powder. This is important for avoiding grainy, clumpy oatmeal. It's usually around a cup and a half of water total, give or take some. Then I cook it as usual. It's pretty yum. I normally use vanilla protein powder, but I'm planning to get some chocolate soon so that I can find out if it's good with bananas or peanut butter.

Happy breakfast!
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

Not when I last did it. Just the protein powder didn't taste the best.
    I'm going to try a different brand then. I've been using Pure Protein (but Publix has Muscle Milk on for 17.99)
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    I might be doing it wrong, but I didn't die or get sick.

Here's what I do: I use old fashioned (long cooking) rolled oats. I use my food scale to weigh out however many grams of oatmeal I want, however many grams of protein powder I want (based on how many grams are in the "scoop" serving size and how much of a scoop I wanted to use), and then however many grams of anything else I want that day (ex. Brown sugar, cinnamon, fruit, almonds on top, etc). I put everything in a pot on the stove (except almonds if I'm using them) and add in some extra water to account for the protein powder. This is important for avoiding grainy, clumpy oatmeal. It's usually around a cup and a half of water total, give or take some. Then I cook it as usual. It's pretty yum. I normally use vanilla protein powder, but I'm planning to get some chocolate soon so that I can find out if it's good with bananas or peanut butter.

Happy breakfast!

Maybe the problem is that I microwave my oats. I've tried the extra water trick-even to the point where I ended up with soupy grainy oats. I haven't had almonds in ages! Need to add them to the list.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I don’t eat oatmeal lately, but my whey protein blends beautifully with greek yogurt. You could mix the powder with yogurt and then blend it into your oatmeal. I wouldn’t recommend heating the yogurt, it gets weird.
  • chroot
    chroot Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've noticed cheap protein makes the oatmeal taste worse. Cheaper proteins don't dissolve as well. I was using some walmart protein just for oatmeal, and it tasted bad, then started using my main protein in my oatmeal (Optimum Nutrition), it dissolves just fine.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So funny you should ask this today! I just bought some protein powder for the first time and was debating how to add it to my oatmeal this a.m.! I didn't think it sounded like a good idea to cook it, and I feared the weird texture if I stirred it in afterward. I debated over it so long my husband said, "Seems like a good weight loss tool- by the time you get your breakfast made, it'll be time for lunch!" In the end, I settled for mixing it with the almond milk I usually have on it, took a bite, and promptly poured it back off into the sink! I think I'm just going to have it at a different time, in a different way :/
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal in the microwave with protein powder and it changes neither the taste nor the texture (I use unflavoured whey). I mix the protein powder with the dry oats, add a pinch of salt, some cinnamon, sometimes a bit of honey, and milk, and put it in the microwave. I add any other condiments (fruit, nut butter) after microwaving it.
  • hiitsscott
    hiitsscott Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I microwave the oats and mix the protein powder separately into a creamy texture and then stir it in after the oats are done.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    rongata wrote: »
    I agree!
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do then I whip it till it gets a nice smooth texture than add a Tbs peanut butter mix again, so filling.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    hiitsscott wrote: »
    I microwave the oats and mix the protein powder separately into a creamy texture and then stir it in after the oats are done.

This sounds like the way to go.
    I've been wanting to try it, but have feared ending up with a bowl of lumpy cement!

• barbecuesauce
    Options
    chroot wrote: »
    I've noticed cheap protein makes the oatmeal taste worse. Cheaper proteins don't dissolve as well. I was using some walmart protein just for oatmeal, and it tasted bad, then started using my main protein in my oatmeal (Optimum Nutrition), it dissolves just fine.

Yeah, I am currently using a WM whey protein powder and it doesn't fully dissolve in anything. It's just unbearable in oatmeal.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The grainy, cement-like texture when using protein powder in oatmeal can be resolved by 1) using a whey/casein blend or a pure casein powder, 2) using less protein powder.

I typically use 1/2 scoop of a blend, mixed in at the end with coconut oil. It comes out great.