getting stronger while at a deficit

Options
Please forgive me if this is a frequently asked or stupid question, I tried searching for answers on this and pretty much all the threads turned into a debate on whether you can our can't gain muscle while eating at a deficit. That's not quite my question.

My husband and I were having an argument over my fitness goals. He is convinced I'm trying to become a female Arnold Schwarzenegger. I'm doing my best to explain that I'm trying to preserve my muscle while I burn fat and that I can't "bulk up" (his words, not mine) while I'm eating at a deficit. I'm not gaining a pound of muscle every time I go to the gym. His argument is that since I'm able to do more physically and progressing to heavier weights, obviously I'm gaining muscle. I realize this can't be true, but I don't have an understanding of how this works. How exactly are you able to become stronger when you aren't gaining muscle mass?

Replies

• Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Its neuromuscular adaptation. Pretty much your body becomes more proficient lifting weights without actually building any muscle.

I've been lifting at a deficit for 4 months and all my lifts have gone up, while I've lost 25 pounds. I assure you, I am no hulking she-beast. Lol
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I figured it would work like that, but I had no clue what to call it or if I was even correct in that assumption.

Lol I wouldn't expect you to be a she-beast, bit I bet you look and feel great! Congrats on the loss