Calories & exercise

Options
Marthy101
Marthy101 Posts: 60 Member
What do you think about "eating back" your calories burned exercising? I don't believe in it- calorie burn stats Have to be inaccurate, or general guess at best.
I have been doing it of late, though- I get hungry! I don't thiiiink I'm working out super hard, though- weights + some cardio.
Though I really want to be diligent about exercising (got to tone up!!!), it's tempting to just skip 'seconds' and sit on the couch!!!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Marthy101 wrote: »
    What do you think about "eating back" your calories burned exercising? I don't believe in it- calorie burn stats Have to be inaccurate, or general guess at best.
    I have been doing it of late, though- I get hungry! I don't thiiiink I'm working out super hard, though- weights + some cardio.
    Though I really want to be diligent about exercising (got to tone up!!!), it's tempting to just skip 'seconds' and sit on the couch!!!

Well it depends on what method you're doing.

If you're doing the TDEE method, you're not supposed to eat your calories back. If you do the MFP method you're meant to eat around 50-75% of your calories back to compensate for inaccuracies .

Also, if you're eating 1200 calories, it is in your interest to eat back all of your calories because you're already eating a low amount.
  • vgrezzy
    vgrezzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ^ that's right. your net calories should equal your mfp goal, so eat back 75% of what mfp calculates to account for inaccuracy. both strength and cardio burn tons of calories so make sure to nourish your body properly
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So you don't believe in fueling your fitness? Good luck with that...

You have to account for fitness somewhere so if you're not, you're doing it wrong.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I eat back half to 2, 3rds of my exercise calories.
    If I run I find the calorie burn more accurate, any other exercise not so much. I think that is because with running you can log the mile times.
    Any other physical activity I make sure I under log and only eat back half.
    You have to eat some of them back though or you will get very hungry and tired and end up binging!