Need fitness goal ideas

I'm pretty sedentary, NOT a natural exerciser, but I started a c25k program that I really liked. The problem is that I have one leg shorter than the other and I'm finding the running is really hurting the hip on my longer side. While I like the program, it's not worth an injury, so I'm looking for other ideas. Something similar where there are mini goals ingrained within it, where I can see the progress I'm making. I do not belong to a gym and I'm a SAHM with a preschooler and a baby. Ideas? TIA!

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Depending on possibilities, you may qualify for an orthotic for evening out your gait.
    Otherwise what about a youtube Pilates or yoga program?
    Or Google exercises using children
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited June 2015
    An orthopedic may help. See an orthopedist. Also see if it's due to some Scoliosis and a chiropractor may help as well.

Plus if you've been sedentary, don't start too fast or you'll hurt yourself. Start by building up some endurance.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    I'd agree that a block in your shoe may be enough to balance you out. I got my rumnkng shoes from a place where they check your gait and find shoes to suit your individual circumstance. The staff at my local store were very knowledgeable and helpful. If you enjoy running I would recommend trying to find a way to do it safely. If you're a sahm it's a great way to get some peace! Walking is also a very good exercise. If you're looking for something a bit more of a challenge then there are hundreds of videos on YouTube that you can do at home. I particularly like the boxing ones.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    I have had a half inch + difference in leg length for decades after an accident when I was 14.
    I don't run, I don't find it is worth wrecking my hips and back, I walk, fast. ( do 10k events etc)
    I also do: aqua fit, Zumba, Pilates, progressive resistance work, and swimming. ( basically no high impact work)
    Unless you feel you must run, find something else that is more in tune to your physical capabilities.
    I am a book worm rather than a couch potato so really understand that once you have found something you like it is hard to give it up.
    Cheers, h.