Cant Lose WEIGHT!!! GRRRRRRRRR

Options

Replies

• Jaulen
    Jaulen Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You are probably building muscle which weighs more than fat :)
    No it doesn't

Yes, It really does.... a chunk of fat the size of my palm would weigh significantly less than a chunk of muscle of the same size.

That being said, I dont think that matters with the OP's problem, currently...

Nope a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same love. The muscle takes up less room

A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. Of course a pound of something weighs the same as a pound of something else. But no one would claim a bag filled with feathers weighs the same as a bag full of bricks.

The feathers are fat, the bricks are muscle. It would take a larger volume of feathers to equal the same weight as the bricks. Therefore muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space.

"Therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat."

There. I fixed it for you.....'cause a pound is a pound is a pound.....but the volume that pound takes up is not the same.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't

Yes, It really does.... a chunk of fat the size of my palm would weigh significantly less than a chunk of muscle of the same size.

Nope a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same love. The muscle takes up less room

A pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of bricks. Of course a pound of something weighs the same as a pound of something else. But no one would claim a bag filled with feathers weighs the same as a bag full of bricks.

The feathers are fat, the bricks are muscle. It would take a larger volume of feathers to equal the same weight as the bricks. Therefore muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less space.

"Therefore a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat."

There. I fixed it for you.....'cause a pound is a pound is a pound.....but the volume that pound takes up is not the same.

In modern colloquial English, when we say one substance weighs more than the other, that's equivalent to describing one substance as more dense than the other.

Speaking of dense... Being all pedantic when you aren't right is silly.

Further, weight is not even the right term to use, because a given quantity of feathers that weighs is pound at sea level, taken to 10,000 feet, weighs less than it did at sea level. You wanted the word "mass" and the adjective "massive".
  • ChristinaSabbagh1
    ChristinaSabbagh1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's exactly what she said :)

Muscle weighs more than fat. The same weight of muscle takes up less area than that of fat. A pound of something weighs the same as a pound of something else... because they are both a pound.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Speaking of dense... Being all pedantic when you aren't right is silly.

:laugh:

HERE HERE! :tongue:
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    Although i see where your all coming from... i think this has taken it off the op's question a little...
  • ChristinaSabbagh1
    ChristinaSabbagh1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Talking about being pedantic...

Don't you just love hypocrites? :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    y would I not log truthfully? that makes no sense. and eat more? I get pretty close to my total every day...

sawyer-1.jpg~original

Just using this day on your diary for an example, you arnt eating close to your targets.

An not logging truthfully, i did that to start off with.. then i got myself together an log truthfully now..

Heres mine from today.

mine.jpg~original

Interesting. So her 324 off from her goal of 2127 (15.2%) isn't close to her targets, but your 197 off from 1441 (13.7%) presumably is.

Is the threshold for "not close" 14%?
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    In...

...because the OP doesn't give a rats tail if a pound weighs a pound under water, in an airplane, on a train or in a bus.

OP,

Eat food. Log said food. Be honest and track everything when starting out so that you can see exactly what you're doing. Exercise, but you don't have to kill yourself. If you exercise a lot make sure you eat enough to stay fueled. Either put in the correct information into MFP and follow the program how it's designed, by NETTING your goal calories, which means to eat back your exercise calories burned, or at least a good portion of them, try to hit your other macros primarily Protein, Fats, Carbs.

If you want to use another method, use something like TDEE -20% (you can research this if you're interested)

No matter which method you use, give everything at least 1 month for a change before moving on to something else. Be consistent, be patient, and don't make this some evil deed that must be done...have fun with it as much as possible. Do fun activities, find and eat food you like, whatever you need to make this something worth doing and something you want to do, not something you feel forced to do for whatever reason.

My $.02 anyway.
  • cherryd69
    Options
    y would I not log truthfully? that makes no sense. and eat more? I get pretty close to my total every day...

sawyer-1.jpg~original

Just using this day on your diary for an example, you arnt eating close to your targets.

An not logging truthfully, i did that to start off with.. then i got myself together an log truthfully now..

Heres mine from today.

mine.jpg~original

Interesting. So her 324 off from her goal of 2127 (15.2%) isn't close to her targets, but your 197 off from 1441 (13.7%) presumably is.

I just dont know what to do with the last 197, and im full lol

Need to minus 40 from that as iv just had an options hot chocolate... dont worry, im all over the updating :tongue:
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Talking about being pedantic...

Don't you just love hypocrites? :)

Can't get enough of them! Anyway, we digress... To the OP - sorry I can't be of much help to you, I hope you manage to figure out what the issue is! There is a lot of good advice on these forums, try checking out other threads where people have a similar problem, you might find some answers there. Good luck :)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Two weeks isn't enough time to determine if its working or not, really. Especially since many women find that weight loss comes in spurts that align with their monthly cycle.

OP, what is your goal? 1 pound a week? At two weeks out, you're well in the zone where hormonal changes, water retention, slight scale inaccuracies, etc can all make it look like nothing is happening.

You didn't gain it all in a few weeks, you're not going to take it off in just a few days.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Oh god really, does yet another thread have to turn into a muscle weighs more than fat thread? Is that really what we need? OP, whatever is going on, you won't be gaining muscle unless you are actively trying to, e.g weight training, high protein diet, calorie surplus so ignore the daft 'you're gaining muscle posts'. In all likelihood you aren't eating enough and you're body is hanging onto every bit of food it gets to keep itself going, let alone think about losing fat.
  • Pinkybarbell
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it looks to me like you are not logging your food every day. It seems like whole meals are missing and one day only about five hundred calories were logged. If my assumption is correct, then I would say that accurately logging every day would be the best place to start.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options

sawyer-1.jpg~original

Heres mine from today.

mine.jpg~original

Need to minus 40 from that as iv just had an options hot chocolate... dont worry, im all over the updating :tongue:

:noway: :grumble:
  • cherryd69
    Options

sawyer-1.jpg~original

Heres mine from today.

mine.jpg~original

:noway: :grumble:

Nope, really dont know what to do with the 157 thats left. Im not even a little bit hungry (which im gonna say is a good thing)
  • mamaskit
    mamaskit Posts: 1
    Options
    I love carbs, love bread, love white potatoes......but I discovered that I crave them, like crack! There are good carbs and not so good ones. Bread, not so good. Processed foods with lots of wheat and sodium, not so good. Once I significantly limited breads I started losing and stopped craving. Carbs metabolize to sugar. Load up on fresh vegetables. Eat lean meat like chicken and tuna and turkey. It took me 3 weeks before I finally started losing. Just stick with it.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    GGRRRRRRRRR RAWWWWR GRRRRR!!! Yeah! ATTACK THAT WEIGHT WITH ANGER GIRL! WELCOME TO MFP!
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options
    Oh god really, does yet another thread have to turn into a muscle weighs more than fat thread? Is that really what we need? OP, whatever is going on, you won't be gaining muscle unless you are actively trying to, e.g weight training, high protein diet, calorie surplus so ignore the daft 'you're gaining muscle posts'. In all likelihood you aren't eating enough and you're body is hanging onto every bit of food it gets to keep itself going, let alone think about losing fat.

lol agreed, I truly don't understand the need to jump all over correcting someone for wording it wrong, we all know what they meant :)
    I looked at your diary and it looks to me like you are not logging your food every day. It seems like whole meals are missing and one day only about five hundred calories were logged. If my assumption is correct, then I would say that accurately logging every day would be the best place to start.

it is possible she is skipping meals. I did that a lot - I wouldn't recomend it though. But she may be logging truthfully but skipping meals
  • bio01979
    bio01979 Posts: 313
    Options

lol agreed, I truly don't understand the need to jump all over correcting someone for wording it wrong, we all know what they meant :)

it is possible she is skipping meals. I did that a lot - I wouldn't recomend it though. But she may be logging truthfully but skipping meals

I should clarify, I did that a lot when I was gaining all this damn weight. And it generally isn't a great plan I don't think :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't

I believe that is exactly what I said without all the other nonsense you added :)