How do you make Pancakes from scratch?

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
I love breakfast,its my fave meal of the day but I'm getting bored of porridge,toast,greek yog so thought about trying my own pancakes! Does anyone have the recipe and what do u put in them i.e banana but what else...

Thanks x

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    They can be calorie bombs because people often add butter and syrup. You can find lots of recipes with no banana. Here is one with a banana.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/banana-nut-pancakes.htmlCalories: 129.1 • Fat: 2.4 g • Protein: 6.3 g • Carb: 21.8 g • Fiber: 3.0 g
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 large banana, very ripe, mashed
    1 cup 1% milk
    3 large egg whites
    2 tsp oil
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
    olive oil or butter flavor cooking spray
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you make crepes or blintzes instead, they taste better without the butter/syrup added. A TINY amount of powdered sugar goes a long way--or a little fruit topping (which, yes, has sugar but isn't PURE sugar, so you get more flavor with less calories). They're slightly heavier in protein, too, so they keep you full longer. :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Milk, flour and an egg is your basic pancake mix. Let it settle for a bit to allow the flour to not be lumpy. Then cook and as what you like. No banana required.
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I make pancakes for the kids a lot. I put a cup of flour, an egg, and some milk into a food processor and blend u til smooth adding milk until you get the desired consistency. I add different things sometimes depending on what is on hand. Sometimes vanilla bean paste, sometimes lemon rind grated. I have heard people add sugar but I have never done this and they are always delicious. I use it straight away, no waiting. The food processor blends out the lumps :)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Just milk flour and some baking powder. (You don't actually need eggs) then just alter the proportions depending if you want a thick one or a crepe. I'm a crepe person just with a wee bit of sugar and lemon myself
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fluffy-Pancakes-2/

Definitely not low calorie but delicious, lol. You could probably reduce the butter though...

For toppings I do some ricotta with honey or good old maple syrup, but I don't use much. If I make crepes though (my recipe is 125g flour, 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, bit of water to thin it out if needed), I like pretty much anything...
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I make pancakes for the kids a lot. I put a cup of flour, an egg, and some milk into a food processor and blend u til smooth adding milk until you get the desired consistency. I add different things sometimes depending on what is on hand. Sometimes vanilla bean paste, sometimes lemon rind grated. I have heard people add sugar but I have never done this and they are always delicious. I use it straight away, no waiting. The food processor blends out the lumps :)

Pretty much this is the recipe I follow too. I usually just use an egg whisk, and not bother with a food processor.
  • Kalici
    Kalici Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fluffy-Pancakes-2/

Definitely not low calorie but delicious, lol. You could probably reduce the butter though...

For toppings I do some ricotta with honey or good old maple syrup, but I don't use much. If I make crepes though (my recipe is 125g flour, 1 egg, 1 cup of milk, bit of water to thin it out if needed), I like pretty much anything...

I've made those. They came out really good. I ate them plain, but I mixed brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and butter in a pan then added sliced bananas an caramelized it as a pour over sauce for my husband.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Just milk flour and some baking powder. (You don't actually need eggs) then just alter the proportions depending if you want a thick one or a crepe. I'm a crepe person just with a wee bit of sugar and lemon myself

it doesn't turn out a bit dry?

i don't make crepes bc i don't want to stand over the stove for ages. but i remember my mom using egg, flour, baking powder, milk, a teaspoon of oil, and a teensy tiny bit of salt.

i used to eat them totally plain, just rolled them up and ate. if i put anything on them, prefer savoury - ham and cheese or just cheese. sometimes a teeny bit of feta. but plain is best imo
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    isulo_kura wrote: »

it doesn't turn out a bit dry?

i don't make crepes bc i don't want to stand over the stove for ages. but i remember my mom using egg, flour, baking powder, milk, a teaspoon of oil, and a teensy tiny bit of salt.

i used to eat them totally plain, just rolled them up and ate. if i put anything on them, prefer savoury - ham and cheese or just cheese. sometimes a teeny bit of feta. but plain is best imo

Real French crepes don't use baking powder... Just FYI :p
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    If you want to make a pancake from scratch, you must first invent the universe.