How do I know what % my macros are?

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
I often see people say "I have 50% fat 30% pro 20% carbs" but how do I know what my percentage is or do u manually set it? My food diary is open so u can see my macros!

Also how do people survive on such low carbs? I hit my carb intake almost everyday! I have been trying to increase my protein which has been successful..

I work out everyday, I do bodycombat twice,kettlebell class,spinning and a core work out...is aiming for high protein a good idea..

Replies

• binkztaah
    binkztaah Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    u could try using an iifym calculator. try www.iffym.com
    thats how i set all mine up :)
  • binkztaah
    Options
    also nothing wrong with carbs, its all about caloric deficit if you want to lose weight
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Cool thanks...I thought maybe Im eating to much carbs but I do love my carbs especially after a workout
  • binkztaah
    Options
    Best source of energy, I feel way to tired and drained when i'm low on carbs
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Go to the My Home tab and then the Goals tab. That's where it says the % for your macros. You can adjust them there also.
  • hobbeskastiel
    Options
    Carbs are best before your workout as they give you more energy for the workout itself. Protein is better after because your muscles need it to repair after a workout. I usually have carbs and protein before I workout. Like a protein bar or greek yogurt. I just found the oikos triple zero greek yogurt and that ones great IMO. 15 protein, 15 carbs and no fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Carbs before or after and protein before or after workout totally depends on what the workout is, when is it in the schedule of meals, and what is the workout tomorrow.

Carbs before isn't needed if you had a meal within 4 hrs usually and been a tad inactive. Not like you are losing muscle glucose stores in that activity that won't be available during the workout.
    Only thing carbs prior MAY help with is low blood sugar - which can have you mentally thinking the workout is too hard and not doing it to best of ability or desire.
    Muscles have plenty of glucose stores though.

Protein post workout has been shown to not be that useful except in extreme body builder cases.
    Only time it may be useful afterwards is when eating 4 x as many carbs as protein because you just did endurance cardio, and plan on doing it tomorrow also.
    And that's just to increase the uptake of the glucose into the muscles.

Otherwise, an average good macro balance eating routine will take care of the rest for average fitness enthusiasts.

Otherwise those recommendations are totally personal with no basis in research to benefit or not the workouts.
    If it helps great.
    But don't think you have to be buying protein powder and gulping something down in 30 min post workout.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to know %'s? Go by grams - it's a much better system.

Eating less carbs just means eating more protein and fat.... It's not that hard! Set your minimum grams for protein and fat, meet those, then fill the rest of your calories with carbs.

How many grams of protein do you think is high?
  • hobbeskastiel
    Options

Eating less carbs just means eating more protein and fat.... It's not that hard! Set your minimum grams for protein and fat, meet those, then fill the rest of your calories with carbs.

This info is useful only if you have the paid MFP. Otherwise it's useless since you can't set macros by grams. If you use the free version you stick with percentages.
  • heybales
    Options
    Except it tells you the grams right there next to the 5% increments you can change. At least on web account.

Just round protein up to next 5% increment.

Now, the kicker is when you correctly log exercise and the macros % stays the same, but obviously the grams change.

Memorize the protein grams to a rounded figure. Not that hard. 140 grams for me, no matter what MFP may change the goal too.
    I reach calorie goal, and 140 g of protein. Easy.
  • binkztaah
    Options
    there actually is a way to do the percentages by grams yourself on the free version. I do it on mine
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

This info is useful only if you have the paid MFP. Otherwise it's useless since you can't set macros by grams. If you use the free version you stick with percentages.

Can't people just use their brains and remember their macros? It's not hard...
  • kmab1985
    Options
    And can't people like you not respond without being rude! I know what my macros are, I see them everyday but I was just curious about the percentage splits I often see people discussing!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »
    And can't people like you not respond without being rude! I know what my macros are, I see them everyday but I was just curious about the percentage splits I often see people discussing!

That comment wasn't in response to you. I already said your system of going by grams was more appropriate than %'s, so not sure how it's rude - you don't have to go by percentages even if that's what the free version of MFP uses. Like you, people can just know their grams and stick to them without needing to follow MFP's % system.
  • heybales
    Options
    kmab1985 wrote: »

Purely curious because I don't use the app at all, but I know the forums are available through it now.

Were you able to see the quote on the post before yours you responded to?

I've seen this a lot now and am beginning to wonder if the format on the app loses the fact that prior post had a quote there, which would help know who it was in response to.