Waist Trainers????

Options
Do they really work??

Replies

• kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think so. You can't spot reduce with any lasting effect. You may loose some fluid from the fat in that area temporarily but as soon as you rehydrate it will come back. You also may see an effect simply from the fact it squeezes you in. They're no better than a good set of spanx in my opinion!
  • asterpasta12
    asterpasta12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think so. You can't spot reduce with any lasting effect. You may loose some fluid from the fat in that area temporarily but as soon as you rehydrate it will come back. You also may see an effect simply from the fact it squeezes you in. They're no better than a good set of spanx in my opinion!

Thank youuuuuuuu
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, my opinion might be slightly different depending on what you call a "waist trainer". If you mean abdominal trainers, like an "ab-roller" or an "ab cruncher" or abdominal exercises I am absolutely convinced they work, as they will tighten your abdominal muscles, and depending on the exercises you are doing might reduce your waist-radius. I also use a "slimmer belt" when doing my running and cycling, and although it increases centralized fluid-loss, I still find over time it (might have) helped me going doing from 38" waist to 34" waist.
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Stomach vacuums work wonders. No equipment needed.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ROFL
  • TrailBlazinMN
    TrailBlazinMN Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    iofred wrote: »
    ROFL

I was being serious! Check it...

http://build-muscle-101.com/stomach-vacuum/
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    While wearing a corset--a REAL corset--you will be much less hungry if you lace to at least a 2-4" reduction (depending on starting size). So in that way it works. It doesn't actually change your shape OUT of a corset. It just smushes around stuff. (Less than a baby does, though. So YES, corsets are safe.)

They're comfortable for standing for long periods of time but restrict movement in other ways. And if you're really going to wear it a lot, you should have a custom one made, or it may squeeze bone (uncomfortable) or pull on your back.

Get one without cups for boobs. :)

I wear a corset a few times a year for my job. (And no, I don't work the sex trade!)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Under clothes, they look a TON better than Spanx if you get a custom one, but most are not at all natural looks.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I would agree a corset can do wonders for your figure (there's a reason the bridal industry relies heavily on them)

but also just to be clear corsets =/tight lacing =/= waist trainers as we know them a-la kim kardasian today.

and no - waist trainers don't work for what people want to use them for now a days.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Besides potential health risks like reduced lung function while wearing, they do not teach you to hold in your abs since they do it for you. Over time, this can actually result in weaker ab muscles. For temporary better looks under certain garments (or over your garments for a certain look like steampunk/victorian/bar wench) go for it. They can look better than spanx or body briefers.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Besides potential health risks like reduced lung function while wearing, they do not teach you to hold in your abs since they do it for you. Over time, this can actually result in weaker ab muscles. For temporary better looks under certain garments (or over your garments for a certain look like steampunk/victorian/bar wench) go for it. They can look better than spanx or body briefers.

My understanding is that this is why women used to swoon and faint in ye olden times to what seems a ridiculous amount nowadays.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

My understanding is that this is why women used to swoon and faint in ye olden times to what seems a ridiculous amount nowadays.

Yup. That and faking it because they were expected to be delicate flowers.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

yes- ish.
    What happens when you breath is that you do not fully empty your lungs- some air always stays in there. No air = collapsed lung. So through the course of your day you subconscious will take deeper/bigger breaths to help clear the air at the bottom out and replace it. When you are corseted- you can't do this- and you wind up not being able to really actually breath. It's weird- because you get laced up- you can breath just fine- and there gets to be a point where you can't breath- b/c you can't take that big deep breath to clear the CO2 that's been building up in the lung.

it kind of sucks- but the physics behind it is cool.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    This is a great way to demonstrate the reduced lung function. The pertinent part of this video goes from 20:00 to 32:00. I especially like the testing they did with the corset on that shows just how restricted your breathing is (starting at about the 26:00 mark).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSq28wG9cYM&feature=player_embedded
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    They work by causing internal organ damage…
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If your wearing something like this for one day, for example underneath a special gown for a wedding or special party to help smooth out any lumps or bumps, then fine.
    But if you think this will magically cause you to have a smaller waist, then no.
    If you want a smaller waist or belly, you must lower your body fat percentage. A garment will not do the trick. Calorie deficit will.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Corsets didn't cause women to swoon. Geez. Attention-whoring caused women to swoon. I've run in a corset laced 4" in (just because I didn't want to leave a busy booth for long). WAY less breathless than rapid walking very pregnant.

Corsets didn't damage organs. Compression is less than late in pregnancy.

Corsets over a long term are likely to weaken core muscles, but I'd be interested in actual data from people who DO wear corsets regularly.

Women used to play tennis in corsets. I wouldn't recommend that anyone actually try to get cardio fitness today!

They reduce lung function. Less than being 9 months pregnant, though.
  • 4rtistry
    4rtistry Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay, misconceptions...

Okay, first off, those things you see on the Kardashians are essentially sauna belts. They yield some visible reduction, but have no potential for permanent effect. There is no "waist training" happening there. If it has three rows of hook-and-eye closures, it is not a waist trainer.

A proper steel-boned corset is what you need for waist training. It can reduce your waist 2-4 inches while it is being worn. If worn for long enough periods over time, it can semi-permanently change the shape of your waist; you will need to do periodic maintenance wear to keep the altered shape or it will gradually return to normal over time. If you want a proper corset, be prepared to spend some actual money. Those 12 dollar eBay specials will not cut it.

This site has some great information: http://www.thelingerieaddict.com/2015/03/corset-waist-training-myths.html
  • earlnabby
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Corsets didn't cause women to swoon. Geez. Attention-whoring caused women to swoon. I've run in a corset laced 4" in (just because I didn't want to leave a busy booth for long).

Yes they do (although the attention seeking was part of it too). See scientific example referenced in above video.

• MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Oh, and I said it's only possible or likely that it weakens muscles because your muscles are constantly working inside and against the corset. And there's never been any actual data about this.

"waist trainer" is the common name for a short corset that only covers the waist, BTW.

Bridal corsets are usually good for smoothing and sexiness. ;)

I was actually extremely surprised with how little corsets reduce lung volume. I'd expected more.

Again, for any actual changes...ain't gonna happen. Wearing corsets a lot means that you can lace them tighter over time, but out of it, everything would just settle. There are some people into alternative lifestyles who do a lot of corset-wearing, and you can see them put on the corset on YouTube. And you can see how it rearranges fat.