Weighing meat - preference and accuracy ?

Options
Agathokakological
Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm new here and I have been portioning out my meat when I buy it and freezing it for a few months now. For chicken I weigh out 3.5 ounces (raw) and ground beef (90% lean) I weigh out 4 ounces (raw). When I cook I just take out what I need for the day and I'm not sure if I should be tracking it at the raw weight, or weighing it after it has been cooked, which can be difficult depending on how I'm cooking it, like if I have other stuff cooking with it. There are so many entries in the database that it gets confusing. I'm working on making my own entries so I know they're as accurate as they can be.

So how do you weigh (raw vs cooked - oz vs grams) and track your meat? I ask because out of curiosity I weighed my chicken after cooking it last night and it lost a significant amount of weight. I just want to make sure I'll be tracking correctly.

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Best to weigh and track it raw. Moisture is lost when cooked that is why it weighs less, how much moisture is lost depends on the cooking method and whether rare, medium, well done.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I always weigh meat in its raw form. I very rarely eat it by itself (most of the time I make stirfrys), so weighing before I get started just makes things easier :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I weigh raw when possible. When I make more than one portion, I get lazy and weigh it cooked though (ideally, I should weigh it raw then cooked and still log it raw once I figure out how much it shrunk, but I'm lazy).
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :)