Letting go of the scale when your goal doesn't match the body.. How?

Options

I started with a very simple scale goal. 18lbs in 6months. I am nearly at the 6month mark, am down 25lbs and am trying very hard to switch my mindset away from scale and closer to fit.

I've been using Fitnessblender for the last 3months and loving the changes I'm seeing so far. The problem I'm having is based on my BMS and the new goal I set myself I can safely drop another 10lbs.

However based on my body, I'm already fitting into a size 0 pant. I can't really drop another size, or at least don't want to.

What I do want is to keep working my muscle and I guess losing some more body fat %%. I know I'll always have that argument with the mirror and I am trying to celebrate what I've accomplished already. Yet I still see too many extra rolls to be fully satisfied.

Currently I am still trying to convince myself that if I keep going down those 10lbs the rolls will also fade, ignore the sizing, I'll deal with it as I go. I know this is not entirely true, but that old "skinny" and "scale counts" mindset keeps popping back in.

Can I do this? Stay in the size I am, but still drop body fat? Can I do it using Fitnessblender alone? If anyone had told me in January that this would be my problem I would have laughed and rolled my eyes. I am so new to even the idea of this I need all the help I can get.

Thank you

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I would ignore clothing size and if you are in a healthy weight range, don't let the scale alone be the judge. Once I got to goal weight range, I went to a performance arts doctor to get a personal weight range for optimizing every day life, barre3 and horn playing. Then I went to a stylist to help me pick the clothing that fit my body proportions. I have a lot more goals than just a number on a scale and fat %. The scale is just an indicator, not a ruler. I aim for simple things like a really strong core and long lean muscles. I want to spring up when I stand up, not lurch and lunge.

I ignore clothing size because I am 56 years old and have a few numeric sizes from my 20's and 30's that measure totally different than the same number today. 00's didn't exist when i was in my teens and twenty's.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    You might want to take a look at this awesome recomp thread, as it sounds like it’s what would work for you. Basically, you eat at your maintenance and do some strength training, so that you keep slowly losing body fat while adding muscle. This is a long and slow process, but effective in the long run, and it’s a great way to reshape your body.

I can relate to where you are. I lost a bunch of weight and ended up below my initial goal weight. I’m 123lb and 5’4”, and I’m not loving the look of my body but don’t really want to drop much more weight. Doing strength training is a great way to change appearance without the focus on the scale that weight loss comes with. I follow Starting Strength, but there are other great programs out there, like Stronglifts 5x5 or Strong Curves. I’d recommend you look into it.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Go with the body, not the scale. I have stayed the same weight for 3 years, but I've lost 4" on my waist, 2 on my ribs, and 3 on my hips. I know my legs are thinner. I don't even exercise hard. But I have strengthen my core muscles.

The BIG thing that happened was that all that bluffy fat rolly stuff disappeared. There was extra room from where the fat used to be - just like after I had a baby. Now that it's gone, the muscles and tissue shrank and I look much better. But my weight hasn't changed. Give it time.
  • DangerousDUCK
    DangerousDUCK Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    throw the scales aside. scale weight, BMI etc are all to general to fit the individual, Im just under obese according to the BMI scale, go by how you feel and aslong as you are eating healthy keep at it.