Losing weight and mothers apron after childbirth

Options
Hello! I had my first child August 2014. Since then I have struggled like never before to lose weight. I have always been overweight but losing has never been this hard. I count all my calories, walk everyday and I still can't lose anything. I am actually gaining weight. ( I don't think the gain is muscle, my measurements are still the same.) I also have a horrible mothers apron that won't seem to budge. Trying to buy clothes is nightmare. I have to buy all of my pants a size bigger to accommodate my low hanging belly. Does anyone have any advice to quick start my weight loss and start the uphill battle to lose this mothers apron? My calorie goal is 1875 a day and I usually eat some of the calories I earn from walking.

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Just want to say I feel you hun! I had a c-sec in 2009 and have never really been over weight and still can't get a flat tummy. It's bs. Good luck though!!!!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    The transverse abdominal muscles, not the rectis muscles that everyone tries to exercise, are the ones that give you a flat belly behind the fat/skin.

Skin shrinks when enough fat behind it is lost. Lose more fat, and it will go. There's an element of age and genetics about how MUCH it will shrink back, but it will shrink.

This is my baby belly. It'll be gone in a few months. :)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Weigh your food, measure your liquids. You're probably eating more than you think, especially if you're using 'generic' or 'homemade' food search results.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale. Weigh your food, measure your liquids. You're probably eating more than you think, especially if you're using 'generic' or 'homemade' food search results.
    ^agreed.

Some threads you should read:
    Logging Accurately Step by Step Guide
    A Guide To Get You Started On Your Path To Sexypants
    Links In MFP You Want To Read Again and Again
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Logging issues probably

Weigh and log carefully ...those are good links
    11411 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

This is my baby belly. It'll be gone in a few months. :)[/quote]

I wish I had your confidence
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Logging issues probably

Weigh and log carefully ...those are good links

That's my 2 baby belly ...took me 9 months (and 10 years post second birth but we won't mention that bit ...shhh)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    11411 wrote: »

This is my baby belly. It'll be gone in a few months. :)

I wish I had your confidence [/quote]

This is #3. I've lost it twice before. :)

That's my yuckiest angle. I took the most unflattering pic possible because it's the one that PISSES ME OFF.

I also know that the muscles underneath are ALMOST flat already. And my ab separation is now repaired, too.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I agree, buy a food scale, log accurately and try to move more! I'm 5 months post partum after having baby #4 and all of my baby weight is off, plus a few more pounds (I gained a lot when I was pregnant so it was a lot of work to take it off). I know that my stomach will never look the same after 4 babies. But I've lost several inches around my stomach since starting this process. Slow and steady!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Where's that awesome flowchart at that's been floating around here lately?
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    What I've found interesting is, I've hit pre-first-pregnancy weight - actually, 1.5kgs below - and I still have this extra fat on my belly I never had before (even after pregnancy #1, seems #2 was the belly fat monster for me). So it looks like I'm going to be losing more than I planned, as while building muscle will help, the only thing that will get rid of this fat is getting rid of the fat...
  • amandatuckerscholtka
    Options
    mrsddolley wrote: »
    Hello! I had my first child August 2014. Since then I have struggled like never before to lose weight. I have always been overweight but losing has never been this hard. I count all my calories, walk everyday and I still can't lose anything. I am actually gaining weight. ( I don't think the gain is muscle, my measurements are still the same.) I also have a horrible mothers apron that won't seem to budge. Trying to buy clothes is nightmare. I have to buy all of my pants a size bigger to accommodate my low hanging belly. Does anyone have any advice to quick start my weight loss and start the uphill battle to lose this mothers apron? My calorie goal is 1875 a day and I usually eat some of the calories I earn from walking.

For the Mothers Apron I recommend wearing a neoprene waistband while you walk and while you do any other exercising. I did this and was able to sink my down to 'nearly- non-existent' within 3 months.
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I say to shave off 300 cals see if that works also I found that packaged food especially ones that advertise low fat actually cause me to gain weight so try to say away from packaged and processed foods plus make sure you watch your carbs and sugar intake I learned the hard way myself but I've now lost 30 lbs
  • razzjam334
    razzjam334 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back cals save them for another day.
  • SylviaSkinny
    SylviaSkinny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found something that WORKS!! Im 41 Mother of 4. I found after 35 it was almost impossible to lose weight. I discovered by using this app and staying UNDER 1000 calories. Yes UNDER. I do this only on days when I work. So 5 days in a row. I get up & only drink my coffee, no sugar, 1/2 tsp of creamer & sprinkle cinnamon powder on it. I drink a huge 40 oz mug of coffee. That fills me up. After that I only drink water, or suck on sugarfree cough drops/sugarfree vitamin c drops, or chew sugarfree gum. Nothing else. Then I eat "lunch" at around 12 noon or 2:30pm @ the latest. I stop eating when my 1000 calories are up. I preplan all my calories/meals & take it to work in a lunchbag. I DO NOT EAT AFTER THAT. The fasting is what uses your own fat for fuel. After 12 hours your body does this. I usually end up fasting from about 7pm-2:30pm (17 1/2 hours) everyday for 5 days. On my days off same thing just coffee, but this time I eat whatever I want for lunch, dinner, even whatever Im craving (chocolate, ice cream). I dont count calories on my weekend. And I still lose weight!!! Ive lost 25 lbs. And when I add working out to this regimen...whoah...I drop weight soo fast. But I recommend training yourself to fast for about a month first to get used to it before you add working out. Its not for everyone but it works. Im not gonna lie, I do want to eat sometimes when Im fasting but I drink water, chew gum instead. And since I have my weekend to look forward to, it doesnt feel like a punishment. Hope this helps you!
  • SylviaSkinny
    SylviaSkinny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found something that WORKS!! Im 41 Mother of 4. I found after 35 it was almost impossible to lose weight. I discovered by using this app and staying UNDER 1000 calories. Yes UNDER. I do this only on days when I work. So 5 days in a row. I get up & only drink my coffee, no sugar, 1/2 tsp of creamer & sprinkle cinnamon powder on it. I drink a huge 40 oz mug of coffee. That fills me up. After that I only drink water, or suck on sugarfree cough drops/sugarfree vitamin c drops, or chew sugarfree gum. Nothing else. Then I eat "lunch" at around 12 noon or 2:30pm @ the latest. I stop eating when my 1000 calories are up. I preplan all my calories/meals & take it to work in a lunchbag. I DO NOT EAT AFTER THAT. The fasting is what uses your own fat for fuel. After 12 hours your body does this. I usually end up fasting from about 7pm-2:30pm (17 1/2 hours) everyday for 5 days. On my days off same thing just coffee, but this time I eat whatever I want for lunch, dinner, even whatever Im craving (chocolate, ice cream). I dont count calories on my weekend. And I still lose weight!!! Ive lost 25 lbs. And when I add working out to this regimen...whoah...I drop weight soo fast. But I recommend training yourself to fast for about a month first to get used to it before you add working out. Its not for everyone but it works. Im not gonna lie, I do want to eat sometimes when Im fasting but I drink water, chew gum instead. And since I have my weekend to look forward to, it doesnt feel like a punishment. Hope this helps you!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

No. Just no. You've found something that works for you. Not everyone. You. You're creating a ridiculous deficit five days a week and then probably blowing half of it at the weekend. So really you are going without five days a week just so you can eat tonnes more at the weekend.

OP. Read the advice BEFORE this post. Use a food scale, log everything you eat and only eat back 50% of your exercise calories. You've got this.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

For the Mothers Apron I recommend wearing a neoprene waistband while you walk and while you do any other exercising. I did this and was able to sink my down to 'nearly- non-existent' within 3 months.

No, I'm sorry - those wasitbands are less than useless ... you lost weight because you ate fewer calories than you burned off. Perhaps the constriction reminded you or limited the amount of food you could consume in a sitting. Perhaps it made you sweat off temporary water.

Perhaps your body's hormones stabilised and the weight just melted away as you naturally returned to eating at the level you should

What it did not do, what there is no science at all to support is magically whisk away belly fat

Sorry

This is simply a way to hit a calorie defecit across the week - and not a very healthy one at that

Please ignore the above advice OP
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

You are not eating as little as you think you are. Use a food scale and use it for every bite you put in your mouth. Do this for a few weeks and you will understand what you are doing wrong.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Put your height weight and goal into MFP only eat the number it gives you, weigh and measure everything going in make sure its accurate and do some form if exercise you enjoy drink lots of water and keep going. It does work just be patient be prepared to stick to a plan until you can be sure its long enough to work if you lose pounds and inches ( dont forget to measure) if not then tweak it a bit and see.