1500 Calorie is my Limit... I get super hungry, any suggetions...

Options
jcompto
jcompto Posts: 5 Member
For the most filling, low calorie snacks?? And also do you prepare you snacks for the week (say if its roasted broccoli) or do you prepare each snack that requires cooking/steaming the same time you want one??? How long do things last in fridge?

THANKS XOXOOX

Replies

• zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    usually for me, i had a quick to go snack and packed it with me.. most of the time it consist of either/combi of:

fruits (apples, grapes etc)
    nuts (almonds & cashews)
    dark chocolate
    chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bar (pre made on the weekend, kept in fridge. MY FAV!)
    greek yogurt

im not a fan of raw veges/ salads/ eating veges on its own, so i never have it for snacks.. unless its in my sandwich whenever i have more xtra calories for snacks.. lol
  • tracymacy
    tracymacy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Every weekend I package up fruit and veggies in 1 cup servings to take with me. I grab one with I start to feel hungry so a meal time I don't eat everything in sight!
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just made chia seed pudding and it was good and very filling and low in calories. Texture might not be for everyone, but I quite liked it.

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    3 tbsp pb2 (chocolate or regular)
    3 tbsp chia seeds
    2 tsp sweetener of your choice (I used Splenda)

Makes 2 servings.

Mix it all up, I found the immersion blender worked well to get it nice and smooth. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to thicken or overnight. Can make it the night before and should keep a few days in the fridge.
  • JaanaNuku
    JaanaNuku Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I prepare lots on one of my days off.
    Big fan of my slow cooker for main meals and stuffing the freezer full of home-made 'ready' meals.
    For snacks I usually make a big batch mini frittatas or quiche and freeze them, nuts, crisp bread or rice crackers with cottage cheese or peanut butter, fruit, vegetable sticks with a yummy dip (very easy to make yourself- again i make a big batch and keep it in the fridge) also good for snacking at night with a movie :) oh and natural yoghurt with half an apple cut up and cinnamon is one of my favourites lately!
  • markdoddsy7
    markdoddsy7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My tips would be:

Drink a lot of water.
    Spread your meals out through the day. For example if you are having 3 meals a day, have 4-6 instead but smaller potions.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Fruit, veggies with dip, nuts, popcorn, etc
  • Wyattmom
    Wyattmom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Get moving, that way you're distracted if it's boredom or mindless eating type of hunger. If it's not, then the extra movement will earn you those extra calories you want to eat.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

And my go-to between meals snacks are things like: hard boiled eggs, beef or turkey jerky, protein bars, string cheese or cheese sticks, carrots & hummus, apples & peanut butter, Greek yogurt, nuts, etc.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

And my go-to between meals snacks are things like: hard boiled eggs, beef or turkey jerky, protein bars, string cheese or cheese sticks, carrots & hummus, apples & peanut butter, Greek yogurt, nuts, etc.

+1 for this post. I was going to write the same thing, but then I saw this one all typed out and I was lazy... ;)
  • anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hummus with veggies do the job for me! Healthy, low cal, high fiber and keeps me satisfied until meal time.
  • melbabe75
    melbabe75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    zira91 wrote: »
    usually for me, i had a quick to go snack and packed it with me.. most of the time it consist of either/combi of:

fruits (apples, grapes etc)
    nuts (almonds & cashews)
    dark chocolate
    chocolate peanut butter oatmeal bar (pre made on the weekend, kept in fridge. MY FAV!)
    greek yogurt

im not a fan of raw veges/ salads/ eating veges on its own, so i never have it for snacks.. unless its in my sandwich whenever i have more xtra calories for snacks.. lol

What's the bar recipe?
  • Nicmum3
    Nicmum3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

This has been soo helpful, thank you x
  • SusanMcCants
    SusanMcCants Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Individual sized low fat cottage cheese works for me because the protein is satisfying. I am 4 foot 10 and have 1000 cal daily limit so have to make very low cal and low carb choices
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm on a daily allowance of 1600 and have 3 snacks per day. I have one from my Graze light box (<150 cals) mid-morning, a weight watchers fromage frais (~50 cals) and 2 oat and honey granola bars (~180 cals) mid-afternoon, and if I have enough calories left after dinner, I'll have a Solero ice cream (95 cals).
  • selwynarangirangi
    selwynarangirangi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Honestly buy a Nuturi Ninja or bullet these are great and I mean great! I have a shake every morning for breakfast it consists of...

100g Mixed berries (Coles)
    1/4 Raw beetroot
    1/2 cup Spinach
    1 small Carrot
    1/2 Bannana
    1/2 cup Almond milk

This shake is think and creamy and only takes 3mins to make its Fabulous and filling!

This is a far cry from fried eggs, bacon, toast I use to have. Hope this heaps :)

• LizzieDub
    LizzieDub Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of cold water (I bought a cute, tall bottle with a straw, and always aim to keep it in sight--it really helps!) Pay attention and actually take in those 64 ounces! Its amazing if I drink 8 oz. of cold water before eating, when I think I'm starving, I find I'm actually only mildly hungry and don't need to eat all that much. When you eat, make it lots of veggies. A big salad with low/nonfat dressing, or even 2 tsp olive oil/salt/pepper is really tasty! You get a lot of volume for not a lot of calories, little to no fat and a lot of fiber! Add some protein (boiled egg, lunch meat, low fat cottage cheese) so it sticks with you, and keep pouring down the water!
  • wileycoyote22
    wileycoyote22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    High fibre helps you keep full for longer eg lentil soup, tin beans with sausages etc see my breakfast recipe in recipes for breakfast lunches.
  • jcompto
    jcompto Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I have been eating a lot of grapes for snacks. I also love green apple slices dipped in rasberry nonfat yogurt.

I really want to start meal prepping, 2-3 days at a time. I worry about the food I prep going bad before I eat it, though.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch and snacks the night before I go to work (and I pre-log it). So today I brought it all, and that's all I get.
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Fresh berries yogurt eggs sardines are some of my meals/snacks plain yogurt has lots of protein sardines also. Eat more green and yellow veggies and reduce carbs.