Do you trust the calories burned from an Exercise machine???

Options
2»

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    When I started to doubt my burns, I halved them and then subtracted what I would have burned sitting at my pc for that exercise duration. So , if MFP or a machine tells you that you burned 600 for an hour, I would go for about 220.

I too started on a stationary exercise bike, it helped kickstart my weight loss, then I started paying a lot more attention to nutrition and got myself a food scale and a HRM .

Check with your Doc with regard to the hair falling out etc
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    You my just need a short break. If you take your resting heart rate each morning you can track your recovery each day. If its elevated about 10% above normal you need a rest day

Agree with this - would actually go a bit further. Take a "diet break". Spend some time eating at maintenance levels. Focus on good nutrition. Exercise moderately but not to excess or exhaustion. Be kind to your body - extreme exercise is hard on your body, prolonged calorie deficit is hard on your body. Not a great combination for health which should be paramount.
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the very helpful advice! I've decided to keep my workouts at 3 times a week for an hour. And because the upright bike says that I'm burning 1,100 calories in an hour, I'm going to cut that way down and input 500 in as my burn or maybe even 450. I weigh 131 and am 5'3 and a lot of my weight I do believe is muscle. I really need to trim my belly down though which cycling is most likely not the answer. This weekend I'll be purchasing a food scale to weigh out everything I eat and will be making very nutritious foods for a while to see if it solves my hair loss. I've also started taking a multi vitamin every night for the past 4 days to see if that helps out with my hair... so we'll see! I'll keep you guys updated!