Is running bad for weight loss??

ANT98
ANT98 Posts: 137 Member
I love running! I want to do cross country season which includes 5 days of running (2 are 50min intervals, 2 are 30-40min recovery, 1 is a 5k race). I'll include 3 weight training workouts and at least 1 rest day. Ik I need a calorie deficit if I want to lose weight (probably 200-500 deficit (but I don't know if I danaged my metabolism from binging and crash dieting in the past)). A lot of stuff say you need more weight training over cardio to lose weight efficiently. Advice?

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Running is not bad for weight loss. If you like it, do it.

Log your calories burned from runs, but know that MFP tends to overestimate.
    Be sure your food calories are logged accurately. You'll be able to hold to a deficit easier that way.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    No, unless you're running to the donuts shop :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Running is terrible for weight loss. If you trip, you can sprain or break your ankle or foot. Sometimes you might run out of breath and will have to rest and lose time. If you really want to lose weight, try clicking the channel tuner on your remote control. No chance of an accident there. :)
  • ANT98
    Running is terrible for weight loss. If you trip, you can sprain or break your ankle or foot. Sometimes you might run out of breath and will have to rest and lose time. If you really want to lose weight, try clicking the channel tuner on your remote control. No chance of an accident there. :)

Haha Netflix all the way✌️
  • ANT98
    Because I always hear that running is catabolic or that you shouldn't be doing so much cardio
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member

+1. Not to mention weight lifting two bowls of cheetos. Very low chance of injury, except minor jaw injury if done for too long.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    ugggggg
  • ANT98
    faithyang wrote: »

+1. Not to mention weight lifting two bowls of cheetos. Very low chance of injury, except minor jaw injury if done for too long.

Those Cheetos, and all the walking to the coach!! Ugh my life is sooo hard
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    alexxazt wrote: »
    Because I always hear that running is catabolic or that you shouldn't be doing so much cardio

You want catabolism - kind of part of losing weight. You just don't want muscle catabolism - calories burned exercise seem to burn more towards fat than muscle anyway.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    All i know, is that most runners I've seen are super lean
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member

Haha Netflix all the way✌️

What about Netflix marathons? Are those safe?
  • ANT98
    senecarr wrote: »

You want catabolism - kind of part of losing weight. You just don't want muscle catabolism - calories burned exercise seem to burn more towards fat than muscle anyway.

Yeah I guess if I eat enough protein I should be fine. Thanks!
  • ANT98
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

What about Netflix marathons? Are those safe?

Yes! Absolutely! You always have more motivation to keep going
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    edited June 2015
    faithyang wrote: »

Those Cheetos, and all the walking to the coach!! Ugh my life is sooo hard

But OP honestly I don't think it really matters THAT TERRIBLY MUCH if your focus is weight loss rather than muscle building.

I'm a runner and I don't really do much strength training AT ALL (not said with pride but just matter of fact) and lost heaps of weight with mostly cardio and a consistent, well-portioned diet that focussed more on white meat, seafood and loads of fruit and vegetables. As a personal preference meat actually took a back seat as I discovered home-cooked Indian vegetarian food and Asian food really adds satiation to my meals and cravings in addition to being mostly about veggies and spices rather than fats/oils/sugars and (red) meats.

And if you're doing cross country you don't need to bulk up, you need to keep lean, build stamina - you last longer and metabolise energy better when running. My friends in the army say that the bulky ones always 'die' off first because you need so much energy (and wasted food tbh) to maintain those barrel muscles - and they don't make you faster/last longer either. The lean ones are much more efficient and effective.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Running is awesome for weight loss. In fact, I don't think I would have dropped the 10+ pounds I've lost thus far without it
  • singhreemaxo
    singhreemaxo Posts: 8 Member
    Running is good for weight loss..i have shed 6kgs of weight jz through running in less then 2months.. :)