weightloss

Options
What I find frustrating is all of the talk about metabolism and the thyroid. But none of the doctor shows or blogs talk about how to lose weight if you dont have a thyroid. Due to thyroid cancer my thyroid was rdmoved and no matter what I try I cant lose weight. Synthroid is supposed to mimic the thyroid bit it doesnt.

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Instead of watching bogus doctor shows, why don't you ask your actual doctor?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It still comes down to CICO. The key is to find what your CO part is so you can adjust the CI.
  • HollyB1223
    HollyB1223 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can find some great advice from folks with similar issues on Facebook thyroid support pages. The one called "Graves Disease Research News" has good sound advice about adjusting hormone replacement therapy so that your metabolism comes back to normal. Each person has their own NORMAL. And doctors are often not too much help to us. You need a support group where people understand and do not make fun of your struggles with thyroid problems. Believe me, you are NOT alone.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    You just have to start logging and weighing all your food and create a deficit...so eat less than you burn
    Just like everybody else

Only in your case there is a big possibility you lose slower that's all.
  • btysheen
    btysheen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. All my endocrinologist tells me is it could take yrs to find just the right dosage to balance levels. But I will keep trying.
  • btysheen
    btysheen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you Holly. I will look at that blog.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    btysheen wrote: »
    What I find frustrating is all of the talk about metabolism and the thyroid. But none of the doctor shows or blogs talk about how to lose weight if you dont have a thyroid. Due to thyroid cancer my thyroid was rdmoved and no matter what I try I cant lose weight. Synthroid is supposed to mimic the thyroid bit it doesnt.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and I lost more slowly than most MFPers. So be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn. Meds (in my case Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    btysheen wrote: »
    Synthroid is supposed to mimic the thyroid bit it doesnt.

You're right. Synthroid is T4 and you need both T4 and T3.

Armour thyroid is often a more appropriate medication (it has both T3 an T4). It should be taken twice a day instead of just in the morning.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Synthroid is T4 and you need both T4 and T3.

Armour thyroid is often a more appropriate medication (it has both T3 an T4). It should be taken twice a day instead of just in the morning.

Synthroid is synthetic T4. The human body should convert T4 to T3, but not everyone can. Cytomel is synthetic T3. Armour is desiccated pig (or pig + cow) thyroid glands.

Thyroid meds (like weight loss) takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you.
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use nature throid. My doctor switched me to it when I told her that I was trying to lose weight. She told me it would help and I think it does. My regular pharmacy doesn't carry it so I get it in the mail from a close by pharmacy.