I AM IRATE

I AM READY FOR BATTLE!
    ldxsta6bhiuu.jpg

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Look MFP is wrong on many things: the food database holds an awful lot of erroneous data; the exercise database in overestimated by 50% for the majority of people; the forums are over-moderated with some medieval punishments in place ...you're right

But...it's a calorie counting site ...and the way calorie counting works best is by learning to understand portion sizes by weighing ...because your body told you you were logging incorrectly as did most responders

That's how numbers work

Nobody is irate because we simply don't care that much ...we were merely trying to help

I AM IRATE

I AM READY FOR BATTLE!
    ldxsta6bhiuu.jpg

AND SIDEWAYS!

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    8 to 10 pounds is too much to lose in a month,you'll go into starvation mode and you'll gain it back.1-2 lbs is a safe way to lose weight,and you'll keep it off.

Starvation mode as to the ordinary dieter is a myth.

However, I agree with slow and easy.

• SLLRunner
    Options
    You didn't log properly

you had no idea how much you were eating

so by trimming off more "made-up calories" you managed to hit an appropriate calorie defecit

which seems a little ar$e above face to me but h'oh well .. worked for you

so actually MFP not wrong .. you were wrong

And, this.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    <<<brought popcorn with me...sits down and offers the others..some popcorn too... i logged them dont eat it all.

I would never do that ..if I logged it...it's mine

Damn you're nice
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Still rockin' that helmet :smiley:
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    <<<brought popcorn with me...sits down and offers the others..some popcorn too... i logged them dont eat it all.

I would never do that ..if I logged it...it's mine

Damn you're nice

nah just selfish...it makes my deficit larger when i share....

but who am i kidding...i get me some ice cream
    Now THAT i eat alone!

• SLLRunner
    Options
    Just looking at your banana example. If all your food had that large a variable 5.5-7 inches I could easily see you over eating by 400 calories a day.

Yep. I eat a banana on my oatmeal every morning, and they usually weigh in at anywhere from 94 to 140 grams. That's a big caloric difference.

Weighing food is very important.

I also believe that MFP doesn't get it wrong, we do.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Weigh. Your. Food.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Just looking at your banana example. If all your food had that large a variable 5.5-7 inches I could easily see you over eating by 400 calories a day.

Yep. I eat a banana on my oatmeal every morning, and they usually weigh in at anywhere from 94 to 140 grams. That's a big caloric difference.

Seen the stickie list?
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Seen the stickie list?

Stickie list is my friend. Lots of great information there. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    (P.S. - I totally acknowledge that because I don't literally weigh everything I eat, I could have been eating more calories than I think I am all along.)

So the short version of the story is that you weren't losing weight while eating an unknown amount of food.

Happens all the time...

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    The system assigned me 1350 calories a day. I was NEVER hungry. I felt fantastic. It felt like I was eating tons of food. I cut way back on sugar, chocolate and breads. However, over +6 weeks, I didn't drop another ounce.

I got pretty sad about that permanent plateau. I figured I'd try to address the matter when I got back from vacation.

Well, I decided to do 2 things differently: NOT log my exercise, since I think it was being overly generous with how many calories it thinks I'm burning AND to voluntarily cut (for a while, probably not forever) at least 250-350 calories off their recommendation.

I know there are plenty of people out there who will say, "under 1200 calories per day is dangerous..." and I get that. But so far, I feel fine. And I'm not going to do it forever. And I AM losing weight - finally!

Just a hint for anyone else who thinks, "Plateau?!? Fahgeddaboutit!"

My 100% plan is to drop 8-10 lbs per month, whatever it takes, and then - 3 months from now when I am at my goal - to gently allow in more calories until I find my maintenance point.

(P.S. - I totally acknowledge that because I don't literally weigh everything I eat, I could have been eating more calories than I think I am all along.)

This ^^ the exercise bit.

MFP overestimates the amount of calories burned when you exercise AND I've seen people here record every little thing they do. They get up and spend 15 min vacuuming, and it gets recorded as exercise. That might work for some, but I find what works better for me is to record only my actual exercise, not every little thing I do in a day, and to ensure that the calorie count is low.

And also ... it is really easy to eat more calories than you might think when you don't track accurately. I was floored by things like cereal. What I consider 1 serving of cereal is more like 4 servings. Also cashews. What I consider 1 serving of cashews is about 5 servings. And with certain foods (like cashews) that's a difference between 100 cal and 500 cal.

Thank you for this polite and helpful response. Although I am familiar with how much an ounce is, and I suspect I was fairly accurate, it is true that I will not use a food scale - if it got to that level and I had massive weight to lose, I'd opt for bariatric surgery, I suspect. I cannot imagine the inhumanity nor obsessive behavior (it would be that if I did it) of using a scale.

Thank you again. I'm surprised I stirred up such a swarm of hornets. I've learned to stay off the forums from now on!

Weighing your food is actually quite fascinating. Maybe it is because I'm a numbers person ... into math, logic, data, stuff like that. But I actually enjoy weighing my food. I'm not doing it right now because I have reached my goal of a 15 kg loss and I'm taking a little break, but I miss it. I just dished out some yogurt, and wished for a scale. :)

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    Look MFP is wrong on many things: the food database holds an awful lot of erroneous data; the exercise database in overestimated by 50% for the majority of people; the forums are over-moderated with some medieval punishments in place ...you're right

But...it's a calorie counting site ...and the way calorie counting works best is by learning to understand portion sizes by weighing ...because your body told you you were logging incorrectly as did most responders

That's how numbers work

Nobody is irate because we simply don't care that much ...we were merely trying to help

I AM IRATE

I AM READY FOR BATTLE!
    ldxsta6bhiuu.jpg

AND SIDEWAYS!

Sideways? Weird it's up the right way for me.

• cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how mean this thread got. Not going to read the whole thing.

But the title is mfp was wrong, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that people thought the op blamed mfp

Whilst all of this is true, the first page of responses was pretty much nothing but people saying that. It got out of hand. Genuine feedback became something else, because any chance of real discussion of improvement got drowned out by people throwing in more of the same advice that had been mentioned countless times already...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Everything is an estimate. These tools are estimates, even measuring food is an estimate - who's to say how much sugar is actually in a carrot or apple? Or how much fat or protein in an egg. It's all just a close approximation.

But one thing is for sure. If your body doesn't shed the fat over time it's not a deficit and the only thing you can do is eat less more consistenty. So you got that right, whatever method you use to do that. All good then. Go forth and get it done! Boom!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    cyronius wrote: »

But the title is mfp was wrong, so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that people thought the op blamed mfp

Whilst all of this is true, the first page of responses was pretty much nothing but people saying that. It got out of hand. Genuine feedback became something else, because any chance of real discussion of improvement got drowned out by people throwing in more of the same advice that had been mentioned countless times already...

Thing with forums is, you put a question out there and you're inviting any number if individual responses. It isn't a stacks-on, it's just a number of people all answering the first post without recourse to the other responses. It has always been like that, it will always be like that, and it is a mistake to see it as ganging up or the like - the forums would be a very boring place for most if you were expected not to respond to a query just because a few people already had. Hell, a lot of people don't even read the other responses before responding to the OP - it's just the way forums are. People should see a number of the same responses as a consensus, not as a bashing.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Thing with forums is, you put a question out there and you're inviting any number if individual responses. It isn't a stacks-on, it's just a number of people all answering the first post without recourse to the other responses. It has always been like that, it will always be like that, and it is a mistake to see it as ganging up or the like - the forums would be a very boring place for most if you were expected not to respond to a query just because a few people already had. Hell, a lot of people don't even read the other responses before responding to the OP - it's just the way forums are. People should see a number of the same responses as a consensus, not as a bashing.

One of the many reasons I adore you .. common sense!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

That's how numbers work

I AM IRATE

I AM READY FOR BATTLE!
    ldxsta6bhiuu.jpg

AND SIDEWAYS!

Well, being sideways would make a person pretty irate.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

One of the many reasons I adore you .. common sense!