Solo Eating Out

Options
2»

Replies

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When I eat out solo, which is depressingly common, I don't actually order out, but order in. That way, I can just portion at home (or gorge in secret shame). Trying multiple meals is no biggie; the lady at the Thai place has no idea I'm ordering for one. :(
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out solo anymore after a bad experience in my youth. At a diner, the hostess refused to seat a party of one at a table and insisted that I take a seat at the counter. The only available seat was between two "gentlemen" who were anything but. I've never done it since.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    When I eat out solo, which is depressingly common, I don't actually order out, but order in. That way, I can just portion at home (or gorge in secret shame). Trying multiple meals is no biggie; the lady at the Thai place has no idea I'm ordering for one. :(

Thai is my go-to food when I'm sick and don't feel like cooking. I order one or two things, take it home, and eat over several meals.
  • faithyang
    faithyang Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    k61k5b45wjcu.jpg

1c80af3e13225995769ee3c91fe495f1.jpg
  • faithyang
    Options
    460mustang wrote: »
    I just order something different each time I go out to eat. Except for crabby Tuesday, 1.5 lbs of crab legs. I don't even look at a menu that day, the only decision I need to make is what beer I want to try. It's a micro brewery/restaurant.

@460mustang, I'm the exact opposite. I order the SAME THINGS almost every single time I visit a place. Pancake place up on X street? Always the Jamaican banana pancakes with brown butter. Indian up on X lane? Always the naan and chicken vindaloo. :neutral:

Its a mental battle to order something different in a place I tend to visit often - horrible habits!

@JaneiR36, I totally agree. There's nothing worse than having to go through a shared food experience (ESPECIALLY when you're on your cheat day and you wanna just enjoy the fruit of your labour you know?) ruined by anyone who isn't really enjoying themselves. I guess that's why I'm so looking forward to eating out alone...who knows, I might enjoy it so much the poor fella can choose between dinner leftovers or the drive thru? :wink:

@Acg67, your food pics in Denmark/Netherlands looks great!
    That part of Europe is on my bucket list - fresh cold cuts and seafood, cured meat plates, cheese, and I love how the foods reflect the people - a muted palette of colours from the outset that surprises you with vibrant, strong and sharp flavours and textures. Love the hot dog and relish, and the quattro of deli selections. So much colour! You looked like you enjoyed yourself there - I hope I'll have some great solo eating experiences too! :smile:

• faithyang
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »

Eating-Alone-Vs.-Eating-In-Public-All-Lady-Like-By-Accordingtodevin.gif

I was googling through some places and menus with sampler items on their menus following some of the suggestions above and came across this! :smiley: That's me by the way, lol!

I think the most I'd ever order was like 4 dishes - 1 main, 1 appetiser, 2 tapas - well if you consider like 14 dumplings an appetiser (in my defense they did not have a smaller portion!). I was alone at the time but was meeting someone later in the day, so it wasn't like the whole solo-eating-for-pleasure type thing I plan to do. I couldn't decide (surprise, surprise) and just ordered this heap of food.

The lady kept asking me - when's your friend coming? She assumed that I was ordering for two. That made me a little sheepish at first but because the place wasn't too full I managed to cosy up in a corner spot to eat in peace.

I ended up doggy-bagging 3/4 of the food because I wasn't used to such huge portions and had to take another 3 days to finish the food. :neutral:

Lesson learnt? Judging from my above post, probably not really. :smile:

@lthames0810, wow, that is a nasty sounding experience. Yeah if it happened in your youth I can get why it still sort of burns today. I remember back as a VERY portly kid (nice word for fat, but hey I think its not nice to call kids "fat". :neutral:) these two boys started throwing canteen food at me while I was eating and laughing at how 'fat' I was and how I was still eating despite being a 'fatty'. Canteen was absolutely full. It was horrendous. I was like 9 years old and I never ever ate at a canteen during lunch time till I graduated from high school. Basically, I starved myself during lunch time and binged at home for the next 5 years.

The most recent one was a weird guy who decided I needed a date, sat himself across from me, started chatting to me and tried to follow me back to my car when I very politely declined to give him my number after telling him for the 10th time I was spoken for.

• faithyang
    Options
    Things everyone for the lovely suggestions and comments. :smile:
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    faithyang wrote: »
    Things everyone for the lovely suggestions and comments. :smile:

You're welcome. It's good to ask, see what other people do, then decide what is right for you.