Excessive weight lost after baby and now underweight..

Options
Mumma2918
Mumma2918 Posts: 6 Member
Anyone else struggling with this body issue?
if you tell anyone you've lost too much weight after a baby then they think you are "lucky".. Not the case. When your bones are sticking out & you can't fill out your jeans nicely anymore then it's really unattractive. Not to mention unhealthy. I get sick & tired more easily.
I have had many blood tests but still no answers (it's not hypothyroidism like i thought).
I eat a variety of foods and don't exercise and still scales are dropping. (Started using app recently & usually eat 9000kJ per day).

My BMI is 18. I'm 175cm tall & around 56kg. I had my baby nearly 1.5yrs ago

Any advice or support would be really helpful and appreciated..

Thanks

Replies

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    You don't mention how many calories you are eating other than you eat a lot.

Do you measure and weigh what you eat to calculate calories.

I am not sure the internet can tell you what it is if a doctor isn't able to.

• Mumma2918
    Options

Thanks I am still learning about calorie counting and just started using this app to monitor my eating habits.
    My doctor is concerned about me but doesn't have answer just yet. So just hoping someone else in same situation can suggest something else to help or some general advice
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a second opinion!! Sounds like by the time the Dr decides to look into it deeper you might be in serious trouble.
  • Mumma2918
    Options
    Definitely get a second opinion!! Sounds like by the time the Dr decides to look into it deeper you might be in serious trouble.

That's what I'm worried about too.. I've heard some people have to see multiple doctors before getting a correct diagnosis. I'm in process of doing so, so hopefully can get to bottom of this soon. Thanks for your msg :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Thanks I am still learning about calorie counting and just started using this app to monitor my eating habits.
    My doctor is concerned about me but doesn't have answer just yet. So just hoping someone else in same situation can suggest something else to help or some general advice

General advice:

Log every morsel you put in your mouth for two weeks.

Weigh yourself.

Did you lose or gain?

If you gained - keep eating that amount of calories a day and monitor your weight. You may hit plateaus (much like weight losers do too): As you get heavier/eat more you may find that the amount you need to eat increases as time goes by. Your body will have higher caloric demands as you get heavier (and you find that your everyday activity tends to increase naturally as you eat more without you being especially aware of it.)

If you lost - take the amount you were eating and find a way to add 500 cals a day to that total. You could do this by including two 250 cals intermeal snacks a day. Or a single mass gainer shake before bed, for example. Or by subbing in more calorie dense versions into existing meals to pimp caloric content. An example of this would be to use 20% fat mince in your dishes instead of the lean %5 fat version, add cheese on top of meals, etc. Keep monitoring your weight. If after a few more weeks you have not gained, add a few hundred extra calories a day (using snacks, shakes, caloric dense foods, etc - whatever you find works for you and you can sustain) and repeat.

Most people who have a hard time gaining weight are usually vastly underestimating their calorie consumption. Using MFP as a diagnostic tool for two weeks will give you the information you need to make changes and gain the weight. The rest (keeping on top of it, eating when you don't feel like it, being consistent) is up to you and is largely a matter of will and good habit formation (much like losing weight is too)
  • Mumma2918
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

General advice:

Weigh yourself.

Did you lose or gain?

If you gained - keep eating that amount of calories a day and monitor your weight. You may hit plateaus (much like weight losers do too): As you get heavier/eat more you may find that the amount you need to eat increases as time goes by. Your body will have higher caloric demands as you get heavier (and you find that your everyday activity tends to increase naturally as you eat more without you being especially aware of it.)

If you lost - take the amount you were eating and find a way to add 500 cals a day to that total. You could do this by including two 250 cals intermeal snacks a day. Or a single mass gainer shake before bed, for example. Or by subbing in more calorie dense versions into existing meals to pimp caloric content. An example of this would be to use 20% fat mince in your dishes instead of the lean %5 fat version, add cheese on top of meals, etc. Keep monitoring your weight. If after a few more weeks you have not gained, add a few hundred extra calories a day (using snacks, shakes, caloric dense foods, etc - whatever you find works for you and you can sustain) and repeat.

Most people who have a hard time gaining weight are usually vastly underestimating their calorie consumption. Using MFP as a diagnostic tool for two weeks will give you the information you need to make changes and gain the weight. The rest (keeping on top of it, eating when you don't feel like it, being consistent) is up to you and is largely a matter of will and good habit formation (much like losing weight is too)
    jimmmer wrote: »

General advice:

Weigh yourself.

Did you lose or gain?

Wow! thanks Jimmmer ... That is great advice I will look into the shake option too & add that into my routine. This is all really new to me as I've never had to analyse the nutrition in my diet like this. I've only been using MFP for a few days now & I see what you mean about underestimating what u think your calorie consumption really is. I'm really committed to this & hope I achieve some good results soon
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Wow! thanks Jimmmer ... That is great advice I will look into the shake option too & add that into my routine. This is all really new to me as I've never had to analyse the nutrition in my diet like this. I've only been using MFP for a few days now & I see what you mean about underestimating what u think your calorie consumption really is. I'm really committed to this & hope I achieve some good results soon

No problem.

Remember: knowledge is power.

Without good information, you can't make good decisions. So the first step is always to get some good information! And good luck!

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I agree with jimmmer.

You stated that you ate about 9000 kJ per day.

9000 kJ ~ 2150 Calories. Since you say your weight is still dropping, I'd suggest that you try 2500 Calories (~10,500 kJ) per day for these next couple of weeks and reevaluate.
  • Mumma2918
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    FWIW, I agree with jimmmer.

You stated that you ate about 9000 kJ per day.

9000 kJ ~ 2150 Calories. Since you say your weight is still dropping, I'd suggest that you try 2500 Calories (~10,500 kJ) per day for these next couple of weeks and reevaluate.

Thanks heaps.. I have to try harder to eat bigger portions and increase my snacks in between meals. I bought a shake powder so hopefully that helps give me extra calorie boost I need :)
    Will increase my calorie intake and see how it goes..
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you have been breastfeeding, this is very common and nothing to worry about. Just try to remember eating more.