Sauteed spinach, garlic and mushrooms

Schlackity
Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
Does anyone have a good recipe for this? The one I use calls for about 4 Tbs of olive oil and while I don't mind olive oil, it's a lot of oil. Has anyone tried to make something like with a really good nonstick pan and if so, how does the dish turn out? Thanks!

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Use less oil?
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    While I don't have a recipe I would start with finely minced garlic in a little oil then add the mushrooms and cook them down don't let the garlic brown. when the mushroom are almost cooked add your spinach it cooks down to nothing so add a lot I would add baby spinach I also like to add red pepper flakes with the garlic I would use about a Tablespoon total don't add it all in with the mushrooms as they soak it up.
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    The answer to your question: YES, you can use much less oil if you use good non-stick skillet.

I would do it like this: put cut mushrooms in the skillet (NO oil at all) over medium-high heat and fry until most water evaporated (they will release ton of water) mixing from time to time. Then add a little bit of olive oil (for 1 serving 1/2 TBS should be sufficient), and you can add garlic now, and fry the mushrooms a little to give them this nice flavor. Then add spinach and about 3 TBS of water, cover (if using fresh you'll need A LOT - it shrinks like crazy, I usually eat about 4 cups of raw fresh spinach by myself ;) Cook until spinach is soft, then uncover and evaporate water, mixing occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add some egg whites or reduced fat mozzarella for protein. As a matter of fact, I think that will be my breakfast for tomorrow :)
  • KaltieEm
    KaltieEm Posts: 73 Member
    Also, most people brown the garlic first, but I personally prefer to add it by the end because it's extremely easy to burn it, and burned garlic is not good. So to all my dishes I add garlic by the end of cooking (if it's a sauce or something with liquid there's no risk of burning so it doesn't matter, but for dry things I usually add garlic about 10 min before cooking is done.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    I cook my raw mushrooms in a non-stick pan with no oil. I think they come up best that way. I don't know the recipe you use but I would cook the mushrooms first, take them out, cook the garlic with at the most 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, throw the spinach in until wilted and reheat the mushrooms if needed.
  • sj_1970
    sj_1970 Posts: 38
    I made a modified recipe off these boards this past week with mushrooms & spinach. I bought some larger sized baby bellas washed and took out the stems, took an oil mister (misto pump) *I store my oil mister in the fridge so the oil doesn't go rancid and take it out about an hour before I want to use it. Mist finely aluminum foil. in the general area I know my shrooms are going to be put on. I put the aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Then put the tops of the mushrooms facing down onto the aluminum foil lightly. Then I take spinach (I use frozen - dethawed) put it in a collindar then smoosh all of the moistness out of it. (If you were going with fresh you could just wilt it with water in a saucepan) Then I added basil and spices to the spinach in a bowl, smooshed it all up together with my hands (washed them before beginning anything tho and through the process) Then Took small parts of that mixture and put it into the center of the baby bellas (around a teaspoon to tablespoon each) then folded the aluminum foil over the top and put it in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes I left small side of the aluminum foil open though. I checked them and because I do not like my mushrooms soggy I didn't leave them in very long, they still have texture. I took the aluminum foil off the top after so they would cool more rapidly and not continue to cook/bake.

Then when they were cold I put them in a baggie and popped them in the fridge. I'd take two out to have with my evening salad/meals during the week they were good.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    I use chicken broth to sautee instead of oil or butter. Usually I'll use about a tablespoon of oil or butter and just my best judgement with the broth. Turns out yummy.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    bump
  • lisjoan
    lisjoan Posts: 2
    I use frozen garlic bits, microwave some onion till soft....use spray oil (1 cal a spray) then fry the onion garlic and mushrooms....add loads of baby spinach put the lid on and leave to wilt....I then add a chopped quorn fillet...steamed broccoli and some chilli pepper and grated cheese.....Its lush x
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    How about splashing a little bit of water in with less oil to keep things from burning?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    I use an olive oil pump spray to coat the pan with about a teaspoon of olive oil and it works. The pump spray results in me using far less oil to coat the pan than the spigot on top of the olive oil bottle. And remember, as fats go, olive oil is a healthy one.

100 calories of olive oil is a lot better for you than 100 calorie snack pack of crackers and more filling, too.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    The answer to your question: YES, you can use much less oil if you use good non-stick skillet.

I would do it like this: put cut mushrooms in the skillet (NO oil at all) over medium-high heat and fry until most water evaporated (they will release ton of water) mixing from time to time. Then add a little bit of olive oil (for 1 serving 1/2 TBS should be sufficient), and you can add garlic now, and fry the mushrooms a little to give them this nice flavor. Then add spinach and about 3 TBS of water, cover (if using fresh you'll need A LOT - it shrinks like crazy, I usually eat about 4 cups of raw fresh spinach by myself ;) Cook until spinach is soft, then uncover and evaporate water, mixing occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. I also like to add some egg whites or reduced fat mozzarella for protein. As a matter of fact, I think that will be my breakfast for tomorrow :)

I would do it this way but I would use balsamic vinegar instead of the water or with the water and skip the salt and pepper. I never tried it but I think I will now!

I cook other vegetables this way very often. Tastes salty but with no salt and 0 cal
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Does anyone have a good recipe for this? The one I use calls for about 4 Tbs of olive oil and while I don't mind olive oil, it's a lot of oil. Has anyone tried to make something like with a really good nonstick pan and if so, how does the dish turn out? Thanks!

Recipe? Not so much... but this is usually what I do.

Melt 1/2 tsp of butter in large frying pan on medium heat
    Add garlic (I use a freeze dried garlic, so it's best added here) and stir for 30 seconds
    Add sliced mushrooms (8 oz crimini mushrooms is what I've been using)
    Cook for... 10-15 minutes (at a guess) on medium heat or until golden and reduced in volume
    Then, add in as much spinach as you can fit in the pan, add a TB of water, and throw a lid on it.
    Let it sit for a minute to wilt the spinach, then remove the lid and stir...
    Keep stirring for a couple minutes until it's all nicely wilted.
    Salt and pepper, maybe another 1/2 tsp of butter right on the spinach

Optionally, I'll add a diced red onion in with the mushrooms or squeeze a bit of lemon on at the end.
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Yep, try a really good pan and a olive oil mister. Also if the spinach needs to will a bit more in the pan, just add a bit of water. :)
  • Bump!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Thanks for all the responses.....some really great ideas and I plan to try them all. :-)