Has anyone tried Qsymia weight loss medication ?

Options
cuteypolice
cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
edited February 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I have gained 20 pounds over the past two years and have done everything to loose it. Im not sure if I am not eating enough because I exercise three to four days a week and burn usually around almost 700 calories each time, but I went to my doctor and had blood work done on my thyroid and the entire work up. Evaluated what I eat and if I cut anything out I think I will pass out. Meaning I don't eat junk food actually I pretty much cut it all out accept if you want to call a protein bar ( organic ) once a day junk food. I don't consider that junk food.

Anyway, Qsymia is normally for someone who is obese and has a BMI of 27 or more. My body weight is actually not that much more than what I am supposed to weigh. I am 150 and the least is 145. My BMI is 24.9. My doctor prescribed this medication with hesitancy and I was wondering if anyone with a lower BMI than as it is prescribed for has taken it and what their experience has been.

Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on the other Qysmia thread:

For those who were curious:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phentermine/topiramate

The combination of the drugs phentermine and topiramate extended-release (ER) (trade name Qsymia) is a medication used for weight loss. In clinical trials, phentermine/topiramate ER was associated with modest but statistically significant weight loss when compared with placebo.[1] This weight loss was associated with improvements in weight-related comorbidities such as improved glycemia, decreased blood pressure, and improved cholesterol.[1]

Phentermine/topiramate ER was developed by Vivus, Inc., a California pharmaceutical company.[2] Phentermine is a sympathomimetic amine which acts as an appetite suppressant and stimulant.[1] Topiramate is an anticonvulsant that has weight loss side effects.[1] The exact mechanism of action for both drugs is unknown.[1]

In 2012 the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved phentermine/topiramate ER as an adjunct to a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in adults with an initial body mass index (BMI) of at least 30 kg/m², or at least 27 kg/m² (overweight) in the presence of at least one weight-related comorbidity such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus, or dyslipidemia.[1][3] Phentermine/topiramate ER is available in certified retail pharmacies nationwide and also available through a certified mail-order pharmacy network.[4] Approval was denied by European regulatory authorities, who cited potential risk to the heart and blood vessels, psychiatric side effects, and cognitive side effects in explaining their decision.[5]

I took phen/fen in the 90s, so I get the desire for a magic bullet. But it is really not worth the risk.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here's a flowchart that explains common reasons why people are not losing weight:

a37btb7mxb3t.jpg
  • cuteypolice
    cuteypolice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have had no side effects from the medication and I know they took phen -fen off the market which was bad. I was wondering what type of effect this medication and if it worked on those who had a lower BMI for what it was prescribed for
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I read your OP correctly, you don't have that much weight to lose to within a normal weight range. I'm not really a pro- medication person (yes, at times it can be beneficial depending on the person)

Why not try the MFP way first, give it a couple months and see if that works before you jump to medication. Go to your food diary and set your goal to 1 pound a week and then log everything. Invest in a food scale and measure everything you eat.

You are concerned you are not eating enough as it is now? The medication is going to suppress your appetite even further so you will be taking in even less- I have concerns about that.

Edit: I assumed you were thinking about the medication and not on the medication in case my answer makes no sense.
  • mineemowse1
    mineemowse1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine years ago. It was something like 37 mg. No wonder my heart pounded - but boy I I lost weight. I am now on Qsymia and I love it. 3rd week and have lost 7 pounds. It's not magic but I like it. I don't have the taste for sweets, and is only 7.75 mg phen.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have yet another post that doesn't answer your question, lol. But I'm interested in what people who have taken it have to say, too. I want that yellow box telling me there are more answers. Well, more posts. :)
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have taken Qsymia previously (in 2014 and lost 20lbs) and am currently taking it, again. Aside from it being expensive (although using the $75 coupon helps) it is worth it to me. Today, actually is my last day of my free trial of the 3.5 mg. Tomorrow, I will begin the 7.5 mg. So far, I have lost 12 lbs in the last three weeks. My weight is now starting to mellow out. I started out at 280 lbs at 5' 7". I work in an office setting. It's very easy to get bored and snack. I no long drink pop (it leaves a metal taste) or hardly any sugar. I log everything, drink at least a gallon of water a day and walk a couple miles. There's obviously no miracle pill but this definitely suppresses my hunger. Hope this helps - sorry there isn't a TLDR. x Please message me if you want to talk!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I have taken Qsymia previously (in 2014 and lost 20lbs) and am currently taking it, again. Aside from it being expensive (although using the $75 coupon helps) it is worth it to me. Today, actually is my last day of my free trial of the 3.5 mg. Tomorrow, I will begin the 7.5 mg. So far, I have lost 12 lbs in the last three weeks. My weight is now starting to mellow out. I started out at 280 lbs at 5' 7". I work in an office setting. It's very easy to get bored and snack. I no long drink pop (it leaves a metal taste) or hardly any sugar. I log everything, drink at least a gallon of water a day and walk a couple miles. There's obviously no miracle pill but this definitely suppresses my hunger. Hope this helps - sorry there isn't a TLDR. x Please message me if you want to talk!

Side effects - have any? If so, how big an impact do they have on your life. Obviously not too bad and big or you wouldn't be planning to continue and up your dosage! But, other than the weight loss, anything else new going on with you that you didn't notice before?
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm taking the medication but meet the criteria but am under close medical supervision with regular bloodwork and office visits although I am in generally good health because of this prescription. I believe physicians are under close scrutiny as to whom they prescribe this medication to. I would be worried that your doctor would disregard the guidelines and is not monitoring your health closely. If I were you I would find another doctor as they don't care about your health as it took me a long time to find a competent general practitioner. It is not a magic plll you still have to do the work.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    You think you're not eating enough, so you're taking appetite suppressants.

Does. Not. Compute.

MFP never ceases to amazeeeeeeee
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    You think you're not eating enough, so you're taking appetite suppressants.

Does. Not. Compute.

Right?

Not the first time I've had to post this today:

aysmluuqjc2n.gif

• conqueringsquidlette
    conqueringsquidlette Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I have not taken Qsymia, but I have taken Topamax (topiramate - which is half of what's in Qsymia) and it was THE WORST THING EVER.

I couldn't get out complete sentences, would take like an hour to read a single page.... just the worst case of the dumbs any drug has ever given me. I couldn't stand the cognitive effects. It also ruined carbonated drinks (which was a shame, since I love my fizzy water to death). In psych circles, we call it the stupid and skinny drug. I got the stupid part for sure, but never lost a pound.

I have no idea how the topamax experience differs from Qsymia, like how much the dosage affects these side effects, but I wouldn't drug my worst enemy with topiramate based on how it affected me. It really blows my mind that it's used this way.

(I do know lots of people who swear by it for their migraines/seizures/mood swings/drug addiction and deal with the cognitive side effects just fine, but I can't imagine any of them running out and recommending it for weight loss even if they do tolerate it well.)
  • luveydov
    luveydov Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also have taken Topamax. I was taking a very low dose (supposed to gradually increase) and I never thought about food. I had to make an effort to remember to eat. Side effects for me were cognitive impairment. I was in graduate school and suddenly could not function in my statistics class. It wasn't a memory thing, I just could not make any kind of logical connections. The other big side effect for me was a weird OCD type things. I would get a random word in my mind and then just repeat it over and over and over again.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You don't need to lose a lot. Probably shouldn't take pills specifically to help the extremely obese.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Hi I have gained 20 pounds over the past two years and have done everything to loose it. Im not sure if I am not eating enough because I exercise three to four days a week and burn usually around almost 700 calories each time, but I went to my doctor and had blood work done on my thyroid and the entire work up. Evaluated what I eat and if I cut anything out I think I will pass out. Meaning I don't eat junk food actually I pretty much cut it all out accept if you want to call a protein bar ( organic ) once a day junk food. I don't consider that junk food.

Anyway, Qsymia is normally for someone who is obese and has a BMI of 27 or more. My body weight is actually not that much more than what I am supposed to weigh. I am 150 and the least is 145. My BMI is 24.9. My doctor prescribed this medication with hesitancy and I was wondering if anyone with a lower BMI than as it is prescribed for has taken it and what their experience has been.

Thanks!

Really bad idea. Shocked a Dr. would prescribe weight loss pills to someone with a health bmi and not much weight to loose?
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    It's 2024 and my doc just prescribed Qsymia. My healthcare provider says a patient needs to fail on these older and less expensive (and less effective) drugs, before considering Zepbound or Wegovy. (there are several old threads, one might stick)
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    a37btb7mxb3t.jpg
    "...simply on eating fewer calories than you burn." Though there is nothing simple about this in practice.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I'd never heard of Qsymia before here on MFP, it makes sense nobody else is speaking up. It may be pretty obscure.