Protein in a v*gan diet

Options
Hi there,

I am a lacto-vegetarian but I don't consume much dairy - I generally prefer soya alternatives to most dairy products, except chocolate and some cheeses.
MFP calculates that I should have 60g of protein a day in my diet, but I generally struggle to obtain 40g!
Without resorting to protein shakes or protein bars, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can bump up my protein intake on a 1200 Calorie a day diet?
My usual day starts with a bowl of cereal like Fruit n Fibre or Just Right with soya milk. Lunch might be a jacket potato with beans, or a bean salad, or suchlike. Dinner nearly always contains lots of beans or tofu - for example last night I made a tofu and peas curry, and I am planning to make a bean chilli tonight. I have things like lupin beans, tofu "jerky" and edamame beans for snacks.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Replies

• HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hi Shell,

Many thanks for the suggestion - I like that one!
    I am trying to hit all the MFP targets as best as possible in case I end up deficient in anything, but I'm not too sure how much difference they make to be honest. I generally go over the one for sugars if I have a piece of fruit or two and I never get too concerned about that, so maybe I should just be more relaxed about protein too if I am feeling full all the while on what I eat :-)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What's wrong with shakes? Just curious bc I am editing my post. I didn't read your op carefully at first and was recommending pea protein powder.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    What about eggs?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What about eggs?

^^ Eggs are a great source of protein and fat. You can get a fair amount of protein from cheese also.

Edit: I know you'd rather not have shakes, but I use a protein pancake mix that is soy based. It's from Met-rx.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    TVP, seitan, and tempeh are all good sources of protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Organic black soy beans.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
    Whilst there's no problem obtaining protein from a vegan diet generally, getting enough whilst in deficit does seem to be a bit of a challenge.
    I know you don't want to go there, but I found it far easier in the end to just go with a soy protein isolate shake to top mine up.
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    Options
    Hi folks,

Thanks for all your suggestions!
    I'm afraid I don't eat eggs, or foods that contain egg ingredients, as I got freaked out learning how all the male chicks are killed at birth (that's just my own personal ethics). Back until 3-4 years ago, I used to eat a lot of Quorn and suchlike for low-calorie protein, but that's out of the question now :-(

Because I'm on such a low-calorie diet, I'd rather that my protein sources had "added value" for the calories consumed - extra vitamins, minerals and whatnot - which I can get from food but I'm not sure whether powders and the like would do the same? Also, these items can be pricey compared with buying real food.
    It's a route I'd be reluctant to go down without trying other options first - but if I really feel I need the extra protein and can't make up the deficit through other means, I would give alternatives a try.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    40g is pretty low. Maybe sneak some little extra in foods not typically viewed as protein sources. Asparagus, I think peas, even some pastas have a relatively decent amount of protein.

Shop around when you are choosing your bread, some multigrain options will have a decent amount. Sprouted varieties come to mind. Trader joes sprouted grain bread is 60 calories a slice and has awesome macros.

Google vegetables protein and I bet you get a good list. Obviously these are not significant sources, but a few extra grams can add up over the course of the day. Pair that with the sources you are already eating and you should at least hit your MFP goal.

FYI-as far as powders, etc. many are fortified just like cereals are fortified. You can get 24g of protein for 120 calories, which is pretty good considering how little you are currently consuming. You can always make a smoothie with low cal berries, veggies, etc and turn it into a very nutrient dense snack. Not pushing the idea on you, just something to consider if you continue to struggle. Good luck!
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I recently had dinner with a vegan friend, and he added crumbled tvp to the chili. Maybe that would help? It's something I'm going to try more often, because I also don't get enough protein most days (although I'm not vegan anymore - we raise our own chickens, and found a local meat source).

I've found that on the days I eat more protein I'm not nearly as hungry, so it's something I need to work on too. I know you don't like the shakes and powders, but I really like the Vega protein powder, it's my favourite, and it's vegan. It's pricey though, so I only buy a canister of it like twice a year.

ETA: I do wonder how animals that are vegetarian get their protein. I guess just by eating an insane amount of leafy greens? Might work for us humans too :) Lots of kale and collards, every day lol!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Because I'm on such a low-calorie diet, I'd rather that my protein sources had "added value" for the calories consumed - extra vitamins, minerals and whatnot - which I can get from food but I'm not sure whether powders and the like would do the same? Also, these items can be pricey compared with buying real food.
    you're placing to much emphasis on such a tiny aspect of your diet. the marketting industry has lead us to believe we NEED all these things- which we do- but if you're eating a well balanced diet as it is- you won't need to go out of your way to secure those types of things. It's such a tiny tiny part of your diet. If you have no hang ups about protein powders ethically (there are vegan ones out there) then use them.

Odds are-getting more protein will trump getting something like vit A- which you can satisfy through regular foods. Don't let the tail wag the dog.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    TVP, seitan, and tempeh are all good sources of protein.

Strongly agree. Especially on the TVP, because its cheap and a no brainier to cook. I think in the UK its called "soya mince"
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    also heather- there are protien powders out there that are vegan, fortified with vitamins (or not! your choice!) and come from a variety of sources. I personally use a rice based protein powder. The WHO recommends women to get 46g of protein a day, so make your minimum goal.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Quinoa , almond butter, beans, hummus, seitan, there are great protein shakes .
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Kashi brand cereals
  • kbkat7
    kbkat7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    spinach!
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would add nut butters, like peanut, almond or cashew. Melted and drizzled over thinly sliced apple is a favorite snack in my house.
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    Options
    Thank you everyone for so many fabulous comments and suggestions!
    Based on what everyone has said - I decided that because my protein levels are very low at the moment, I should look into protein powders and I had one made up as a shake this evening. It was better than I thought :-)
    While I am going to aim to get more protein in my diet from all your brilliant suggestions, I think I am definitely less adverse now to trying some protein powders, based on all your thoughts on those too. I think I will try a few different samples and see what suits me best.
    Cheers everyone!
  • jillyrose0711
    jillyrose0711 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    you can also have shakes without resorting to protein powders- you can add silken tofu, yogurt, hemp seeds, etc
    but there are also lots of quality protein powders to supplement your protein on some days. I understand not wanting to rely on them, but on some days when you know you aren't hitting your goals, it's a good back-up ;)