ITALY- Has anyone travelled/studied abroad while dieting???

Options
2»

Replies

• aaasky
    aaasky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You might have already found her, but I so recommend reading http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/. She lost 100+ pounds and a part of that weight loss was during a semester in Italy. She has some great tips on her blog! I don't know her personally or anything, it's just a site I've found really inspiring.

I've been living abroad in Germany for a few years, so to be honest I feel like I'm way more tempted when I go home to the States (Skittles and Adam's peanut butter!), but I think you'll do really well because you already have experience with portion control and this whole weight loss thing. Also, other people have said it, but the walking everywhere thing can make up for some pasta and pizza experiences. Enjoy yourself!
  • em2102
    em2102 Posts: 4
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about, generally italian food is much better than what we get here in the US. I saw this post the other day http://kslenderliving.net/5-healthy-eating-habits-from-around-the-world-to-help-us-lose-weight/ and I thought it was kind of funny what differences there are between us and different countries when it comes to food.

Anyways, you'll probably walk a lot and as long as you control your portions you shouldn't really have any issues. I spend a year in germany and I actually thought it was much easier to watch my weight than it was here. Thet have more "real food" and very little packaged food.

Good luck and have fun
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing but those continental breakfast, ya need to watch out for as well.
    Lots of those products come prepackaged and if they cook ya eggs they will for sure load them up with butter for cooking.
    Nothing is made from scratch, so its all frozen and thawed for cooking.

Other than that, Good luck.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    does italy do the thing like spain, where they have the big meal during the day, and dinner is lighter? i find that that is really great, and usually don't gain a lot when i go to spain.

i've been to italy twice, and loved it. the sights, the food, the people, the art and the history are incredible.

portions are generally smaller then they are in the states, so there is that to consider. and you walk a lot more to get around town.

eat a salad and all your veggies while traveling. enjoy a glass or two of the homemade wine at the restaurants. It's cheaper then the water. Yes, they charge for water.

there is a McDonalds right next to the Pantheon in Rome. Don't be one of those americans that eats there.

the things that will get you, are some of the cured meats, and sausages. they can be fatty and salty (which makes them sooooo good). there is a reason they are served in small portions.
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    That's so funny...I was going to post a thread asking the same question, except that I'm going to London, Scotland, Cannes, and then staying in Germany for a month.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of a study abroad right now. I gained a lot of weight at first and started my lifestyle change while abroad. I have since lost 11kg. It's definitely possible.
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My husband and I often spend summers in Sicily (he's first generation born outside Sicily). I find I always lose weight there. Food is fresher, we never eat packaged stuff, and we walk everywhere. Also, there are stairs in pretty much every building - it's like doing a stair-master 15 times a day! I didn't worry too much about restricting what I ate - I had gelato every other day (medium no cone) and occasionally treated myself to gelato in a sweet bun (maybe twice in the whole summer). We would go out for pizza at least once a week. This will be my first time doing MFP while I'm in Sicily, but it shouldn't be too hard. I hope you have an amazing time there. What part of Italy will you be in?
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Italy is wonderful! The cuisine really varies depending on where you go, but I generally LOSE weight while vacationing in Italy. The portion sizes are generally smaller, and I find that the food is cooked healthier. The pasta, for instance, is made in a healthy oil and not piled high with sauces and cheese. Of course, this is not a sure thing, but it is what I have experienced while over there.

Walk a LOT! I am sure that you will - there is so much to see. Keep your alcohol intake in check. My parents both gain while we are over there, but they drink a ton. Wine is wonderful, but you don't want to drink away all your hard work.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    OMG so jealous! You'll be in Italy one of the culinary capitals of the world! Eat Woman Eat!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Ate everything (bread, pasta, Pizza) and drank wine and limoncello) for 3 1/2 weeks and lost cause you walk and walk!
  • caccicoo
    caccicoo Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    So I just got back after 2 months in Sicily with almost no internet access. I gained 8 pounds :ohwell: but I am back on track now.:smile:
  • gmford67
    gmford67 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In general, you will walk your *kitten* off (literally) in Italy, so just watch your portion and minimize the gelato exposure and you should be fine. Enjoy it!!

Agreed! I've been to Italy several times and have always enjoyed the food and lost weight without trying. The walking burns it all off and tones. Make sure to where comfortable shoes and be prepared to walk up and downs lots of stairs and hills.
    Ciao!