Question for the Ladies

Do you step on the scale during pms?

I've noticed a pattern of 3 weeks of steady weight loss... A week of gain....3 weeks of loss...a week of gain....

I wonder if I should just quit weighing myself during that one week of pms.

I understand it's only water weight, but still find it quite discouraging to watch the numbers go up when I've been working so hard!!!

How do you handle the weight fluctuations during this time?

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Yes, most women get this. You could either stop weighing as you've said or accept that those fluctuations happen. If you find the fluctuation really upsets you then don't weigh.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Yes. The water weight gain doesn't bother me, I ignore it. I try to view the bigger picture instead of letting a couple of days of water weight get me down.

If it discourages or upsets you, don't weight during that time.
  • lovematthewchristopher
    lovematthewchristopher Posts: 147 Member
    It used to bother me too, but i have learned to accept it! Its life, and it isnt going to change. I weigh every day now, so i can see the whole trend. When i start to gain, i log it like usual, and treat it as any other number, that i have logged for the past 3 weeks. It took awhile, but i worked through it
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Frankly, I like to track all of it. It's a good reminder that weight loss isn't linear and I know that the water weight I gain will disappear just as quickly as it appeared.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    I just went through this for the first time since starting my plan - I went up 4-5 lbs because of PMS (and my body likes to hang onto the water weight for the first few days of my AF). I'm probably a little strange because I still step on the scale regularly (I step on the scale every other day at least - which isn't recommended, I know, but for me, it helps me learn how my body handles things - i did it when I lost 70 lbs 10 years ago and it's a habit that's come back) and I just saw the scale drop back down this morning to slightly under my low weight from this past Thursday. So I know I'm past the whole PMS thing.

Just hang in there and keep with what you're doing. Stay away from the scale if it bugs you, but just remember that it's temporary :).
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    I do because I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to the scale. But - I've learned to recognize water weight when I see it. Plus, I love that short period when the PMS water weight comes off and you have a small "woosh" moment. Makes me appreciate the loss a little more.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I still weigh, but I don't let it bother me - while it usually is shocking, I use it as motivation to stay on track.
  • CarolineLeclair
    CarolineLeclair Posts: 48 Member
    Thank you all for your very positive comments! I'm glad I'm not alone and appreciate that I should learn not to worry about the temporary gain!
    I especially like the comment about weight loss bot being "lineal"! I needed to hear that! (SO true!!!)
    :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    spatulamom wrote: »
    I just went through this for the first time since starting my plan - I went up 4-5 lbs because of PMS (and my body likes to hang onto the water weight for the first few days of my AF). I'm probably a little strange because I still step on the scale regularly (I step on the scale every other day at least - which isn't recommended, I know, but for me, it helps me learn how my body handles things - i did it when I lost 70 lbs 10 years ago and it's a habit that's come back) and I just saw the scale drop back down this morning to slightly under my low weight from this past Thursday. So I know I'm past the whole PMS thing.

Just hang in there and keep with what you're doing. Stay away from the scale if it bugs you, but just remember that it's temporary :).

Actually, stepping on the scale every day is recommended. Being mindful of our daily weight is a great way to be sure that it doesn't slowly creep up over time. There are, however, people who just can't handle the ups and downs and those people shouldn't weigh so often if only for their sanity.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    If you are a daily weigh-er, once you've gone through a couple of cycles, you'll have a better idea of when the fluctuations happen and how long they last and then it's not as big a deal in your brain.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I do because I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to the scale. But - I've learned to recognize water weight when I see it. Plus, I love that short period when the PMS water weight comes off and you have a small "woosh" moment. Makes me appreciate the loss a little more.

Ditto.

• spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »

Actually, stepping on the scale every day is recommended. Being mindful of our daily weight is a great way to be sure that it doesn't slowly creep up over time. There are, however, people who just can't handle the ups and downs and those people shouldn't weigh so often if only for their sanity.

Really? Good to know! When I did Weight Watchers (and lost that 70 lbs), I remember having it drilled into me to stay off of the scale except for weekly weigh-ins because the fluctuations might interfere with my mindset and motivation - when it did the opposite for me.

I will be stepping on my scale without any hesitation from now on - thank you!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I only weigh once a month after TOM is over and the bloat has gone, and only in the morning after I've used the bathroom.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    I avoid the scales like the plague during my PMT week. I know I can hold water like anything for the first few days.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I only weigh myself on Saturday mornings (because it is the only day I don't have to get up early with a cranky toddler!). And my period usually starts Sundays or Mondays and is over by the next weigh in. So, I don't usually see much of a difference, but I guess a daily weigh in would be different.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Yes, most women get this. You could either stop weighing as you've said or accept that those fluctuations happen. If you find the fluctuation really upsets you then don't weigh.

That's not true at all. PMS is not a well-defined constellation of symptoms, but only something like 5% of women actually have significant issues.

My weight barely fluctuates at all.

If it bothers you to weigh during that time, don't.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    After awhile, daily fluctuations will stop bothering you. Remember at TOM, this is only temporary.
  • radonskies
    radonskies Posts: 24 Member
    It's important to be aware of those regular cycle gains - I still weigh a few times a week regardless of when it is I'm in my cycle. I know after a few days I'll have a drop again.