Women who are 5'5/5'6

Options
How many calories are you eating (on a day with no exercise)? MFP just changed my intake to 1390 for a 1 pound a week loss. Honestly that makes me a little sad. I still have another 40 pounds to lose, is it going to take me down to 1200 a day?

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It depends on your age and weight.

I'm 5'6, 135lbs, 20 years old, and sedentary, and MFP has me maintaining on 1750. If I want to lose about a pound per week, I'll need to eat around 1200.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. That said, MFP gave you 1390 to lose but MFP is expecting you to eat some of your exercise calories back so in essence you would be eating more than 1390 calories a day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and 37... was 34 when I started. I've lost 80 pounds and I never had to eat under 1650 total.
  • sarahrahniejorge
    sarahrahniejorge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'4.5" and I eat about 1100-1200 cals daily but I exercise some of that off and so net cals is about 900
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    If I'm totally inactive 1200-1300 on a high activity day 2500 (some says I burn over 4500 hiking) I'm 5'5". 145 trying to loos 10-15 lbs.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", 142' 55 years old, and MFP gave me 1200. I upped it to 1300 and have been losing 1 lb a week. I do eat back most of my exercise calories. Meeting 1300 without exercise is hard, I usually go over by at least 50, sometimes 100. But i know I'm still in a deficit so I don't worry about it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5" and one reason I exercise is so I can eat over my 1,580 calories. I don't eat back all of the calories I earned from exercise, and am consistently losing a pound per week.

7b35ea6075c4d5beb6add1dd78423c68.png
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, I ate about 1500 (though im sure this number was closer to 1700 for logging error). I also exercised 4 days a week and lost about 1.5-2 a week (probably about 2000 calories burned from exercise) so no exercise and I would have probably lost about 1 a week.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm about 5'4.5" and I eat about 1100-1200 cals daily but I exercise some of that off and so net cals is about 900

Strong first post. This is completely unnecessary and suggesting a VLCD is against terms of service. You should choose a more sustainable course of action and stop recommending this to others.

To OP--exercise is key. Walking more all day is key. I eat most of the calories I earn from exercise and am losing about a pound a week with 9 more pounds to go. Generally 1400-1700, sometimes more on the weekend.

ETA: I'm 5'6"
  • laryssalynch15
    laryssalynch15 Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and 21 years old. I rarely exercise unless it's running up and down the three flights of stairs to my apartment or cleaning the place. MFP gave me 1200, and I don't usually eat more than 1400 on a bad day (including the calories I can back from my minimal exercise. But I haven't lost a pound yet. Actually, I've been gaining.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I eat 1850 on days I don't work out - so my only real activity is a bit of general wandering about at work, climbing stairs to my office, walking to the water fountain, popping to the corner shop, and then a bit of light housework and cooking at home.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5. When I have it set to lose 0.5 lbs/week, I get 1380 from MFP. This would not be sustainable for me for any significant amount of time. Fortunately, I am a pretty active person and regularly "earn" 200-300 extra calories/day. (Thank you, Fitbit!)
  • katecashmoney
    katecashmoney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6'' and weigh 133lbs. I eat 1200 calories per day, even on days when I exercise. If you eat back a majority of the calories burned through exercise, you'll only maintain. 1200-1400 for a person who isn't active all day is pretty normal for someone our size. Hope this helps!
  • whmscll
    Options
    I'm 5'6'' and weigh 133lbs. I eat 1200 calories per day, even on days when I exercise. If you eat back a majority of the calories burned through exercise, you'll only maintain. 1200-1400 for a person who isn't active all day is pretty normal for someone our size. Hope this helps!

Not necessarily true. I eat back most of my exercise calories and have been losing. But you do have to be careful, as most calculators overestimate calorie burn from exercise. I tend to be conservative logging exercise and then eat most of those calories back.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' and 21 years old. I rarely exercise unless it's running up and down the three flights of stairs to my apartment or cleaning the place. MFP gave me 1200, and I don't usually eat more than 1400 on a bad day (including the calories I can back from my minimal exercise. But I haven't lost a pound yet. Actually, I've been gaining.

Do you weigh your solids and measure your liquids? The math doesn't work out unless you have medical conditions. You might be consuming more than you think.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 141 lbs and eat 1200-1400 on days I don't exercise to lose.
  • laryssalynch15
    laryssalynch15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your solids and measure your liquids? The math doesn't work out unless you have medical conditions. You might be consuming more than you think.

I don't have a scale, so I always record as accurately as possible based on calories. I just started using MFP again recently, but I've been keeping a journal at home for a couple of weeks.

When I make food from scratch, I add up the servings of every component (garlic, onions, carrots, etc.). I will also add extra calories to make up for any errors, and I decrease my reported exercise calories. If I walk enough to burn 200, I will count it as 100. I realize it's entirely possible that I'm still wrong, but I'm honestly trying to be accurate. Thank you!
  • whmscll
    Options
    Food scales cost about $10-$15. Get one!
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5", 40-years-old and have been eating in the ballpark of around 1200 to 1600 calories per day. I don't exercise, although I acknowledge its importance and hope that as I continue this journey that I find ways to start incorporating it in. I started 7 weeks ago and have lost just shy of 20 pounds. CICO works, but I was also prediabetic when I started so I am cautious with my intake of carbs and refined sugars. Don't get me wrong, I eat them, I just try to focus on taking in more whole wheats and fruits and veggies and try to keep the other stuff (like Ghirardelli Milk Caramel squares...nomnomnom) to a minimum.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    5'5" Started at 196, now 160 lbs. I don't exercise intentionally and 1200 cals gives me 5lbs per month loss at current weight. I'm 31. A desk jockey. I could eat a little more and still lose, but I'm impatient and i've never felt so good. I know the weight loss will slow down the closer to goal I get, that's the way it is.