Coconut Oil- weight loss and 'oil pulling'

Options
Just purchased a jar of coconut oil from a local health shop and would love to hear some personal experiences on using coconut oil for
a) weight loss aid
and
b) for dental hygeine, teeth whitening (oil pulling)

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    neither work and are complete psuedoscience.

but coconut oil is great for skin and hair. it also tastes okay as long as you fit it into your calorie goal.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i normally use it for skin/hair care (when previously bought before) so it will get used regardless, quite liked the idea of whiter teeth, will give it a go and see what happens x
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    i normally use it for skin/hair care (when previously bought before) so it will get used regardless, quite liked the idea of whiter teeth, will give it a go and see what happens x

The whole idea of oil pulling has been debunked. Most people found that their teeth may have appeared whiter as they were brushing and flossing more thoroughly and often (after oil pulling). In other words, it may help your teeth appear whiter because you have coconut oil in your mouth 2-3 times a day and you're brushing 2-3 times a day.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I tried it with a few other things. If there is a benefit for weight, I do not think it would be large.
  • yasminbower1991
    yasminbower1991 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

The whole idea of oil pulling has been debunked. Most people found that their teeth may have appeared whiter as they were brushing and flossing more thoroughly and often (after oil pulling). In other words, it may help your teeth appear whiter because you have coconut oil in your mouth 2-3 times a day and you're brushing 2-3 times a day.

Thats a good point!
    Thanks, i guess when something usually sounds too good to be true... it usually is lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil has a fair amount of calories (as does most oil). Adding it into your normal daily intake would likely hinder your weight loss. If you substitute an equal number of calories to make room in your deficit, then it likely would not affect your weight loss. Nothing magical about it, although I do know that a lot of people like the flavor (although the good quality coconut oil should be almost flavorless).
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've read these things, too, but skeptically. I think you'd get the same benefits by oil pulling that you'd get swishing a tablespoon of salt water around in your mouth for 20 minutes. My husband bought some coconut tea recently and I just rolled my eyes. How is a 150 calorie cup of tea going to positively affect your weight loss plan especially if you aren't tracking your intake? On the other hand, coconut oil is fabulous for my hair and for use as a cooking oil.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    There is a suppliment that works well. It is called Quadralean. It is consisted of 4 natural ingredients. It acts as a appetite suppressant. Includes cla, l-carnitine, Garcinia Cambogia, and Raspberry Keytones(not sure what the Keytones are for). It works for me. Cheaper than the oil.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Coconut oil is great stuff- but swishing it around in your mouth for 20 minutes isn't going to do anything...

Otherwise- just brush, floss and visit your oral hygienist regularly.