Finally, some sound advice from mainstream press

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Even though he points out that exercise seems to do little good for obesity, some of the articles he references point out that exercise cures pretty much all other diseases under then sun. People get so caught up on what it takes to lose weight they they lose sight of what it takes to be healthy.

actually most people aren't losing weight to be healthy...that usually comes later...

Take me for example.

I wanted to lose weight to look better at first...then I realized my cholesterol would go down...then I realized I felt better and started exercising...then I realized if I wanted to exercise the way I wanted I needed to quit smoking...I did that...

so it evolved into a health issue...but started as vanity.

I suspect you are right, which is why so many people complain about being told they should exercise. But even if all a person is concerned about it vanity, once a person has reached their goal weight, exercise has a significant impact on the ability to keep the weight off. Apparently, even though exercise causes you to want to replace the calories you burned, it doesn't make you want to eat more than the calories you burned.

Let's hope not I just started running and I am so hungry all the time even tho I am eating a lot...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever used exercise as a mechanism to eat more but I certainly see that mentality here all of the time.

When I first started to exercise again it was simply because I realized how sedentary I'd become. I got a pedometer and quickly realized I was walking no more than 1500 steps per day! So I started walking on my breaks which led to walking after dinner at home which led to trying C25K which eventually led to running half marathons. Then I added strength training. Now, I track my exercise mainly so I can see how many miles I've run for training purposes and to judge when I need new shoes. I exercise so I can be fit and strong. I rarely worry about the extra calories one way or the other.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna lie, I'm trying C210K to try to bump up my TDEE so I can eat more.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Even though he points out that exercise seems to do little good for obesity, some of the articles he references point out that exercise cures pretty much all other diseases under then sun. People get so caught up on what it takes to lose weight they they lose sight of what it takes to be healthy.

Yes. Here's another recent NYT article on some new research about exercise time and benefits.

The Right Dose of Exercise for a Longer Life
    well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/04/15/the-right-dose-of-exercise-for-a-longer-life/?WT.mc_id=2015-KWP-AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&kwp_0=18141&kwp_4=118587&kwp_1=148985&_r=1
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

actually most people aren't losing weight to be healthy...that usually comes later...

Take me for example.

I wanted to lose weight to look better at first...then I realized my cholesterol would go down...then I realized I felt better and started exercising...then I realized if I wanted to exercise the way I wanted I needed to quit smoking...I did that...

I suspect you are right, which is why so many people complain about being told they should exercise. But even if all a person is concerned about it vanity, once a person has reached their goal weight, exercise has a significant impact on the ability to keep the weight off. Apparently, even though exercise causes you to want to replace the calories you burned, it doesn't make you want to eat more than the calories you burned.

Let's hope not I just started running and I am so hungry all the time even tho I am eating a lot...

Yeah, I have scaled back my running partially because I can't get full when I run fr more than half an hour.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Take me for example.

I remember starting working out, walking for 30 minutes on the treadmill, then be so hungry I stopped at Burger King on the way home.

Good times.
  • RedVonMunster
    RedVonMunster Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had to stop reading at "our families favorite show is the biggest loser". Not sure how anyone interested in helping people lose weight/get healthy can condone the practices they have on the show like 800 calorie diets, replacing meals with black coffee, taking caffeine supplements to offset too few calories eaten.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think exercise is SUPER helpful - for mood, health, and yes, weight loss. The problem with the weight loss side is that it is way easy to overestimate your burn and underestimate your intake, and when people are focused on losing through exercise they are compounding this problem. In addition, the general person who is trying to lose through exercise isn't even attempting to track their intake and they think their 1-2 hour workout should be sufficient, but it is incredibly easy to make up those calories (and pretty natural to do so).
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I had to stop reading at "our families favorite show is the biggest loser". Not sure how anyone interested in helping people lose weight/get healthy can condone the practices they have on the show like 800 calorie diets, replacing meals with black coffee, taking caffeine supplements to offset too few calories eaten.

From what that article I mentioned yesterday said, their diets are laughable. They'll film the contestants drinking milk and eating a balanced portion. The moment the cameras turn off, the producers take that food out of their hands and stick them with some pre-fabricated protein junk that only the show produces (so they're not even eating the balanced portions they just "learned" how to serve themselves). Milk is strictly prohibited. Anything with any sort of healthy macronutrient outside of protein is strictly prohibited.

Injuries and sickness abound on that show.

And their unofficial motto "if you're not throwing up, you're not doing it right..." the biggest pile of bull I have ever heard.

Edit: It's really no surprise to me that a significant portion of the biggest "losers" have gained all their weight back.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible article because it ignores the reality that most meta-analyses show nothing (other than gastric bypass) works well for long term weight loss.

It would be incredibly easy to create a meta-analysis demonstrating that "diets" don't work well for weight loss by including a few studies where dietary changes and counseling did not lead to long term weight loss. But what would that prove?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    This is a terrible article because it ignores the reality that most meta-analyses show nothing (other than gastric bypass) works well for long term weight loss.

It would be incredibly easy to create a meta-analysis demonstrating that "diets" don't work well for weight loss by including a few studies where dietary changes and counseling did not lead to long term weight loss. But what would that prove?

Actually, I know quite a few people who have had gastric bypass and are right back where they started from.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    The processed food industry loves to propound the idea that exercise is the key to weight loss. This is how they co-opted Michelle Obama's crusade into one that's now entirely about exercise.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    The processed food industry loves to propound the idea that exercise is the key to weight loss. This is how they co-opted Michelle Obama's crusade into one that's now entirely about exercise.

Well, that's what the fed up people would have you believe, anyway.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Actually, I know quite a few people who have had gastric bypass and are right back where they started from.

I think it has something like a 50% failure rate over 5 years (not sure of exact time frame). But that's actually really good compared to anything else that's been tested for treating obesity.
  • SueInAz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I think it has something like a 50% failure rate over 5 years (not sure of exact time frame). But that's actually really good compared to anything else that's been tested for treating obesity.

I think there, the problem is, most people who decide to lose weight without surgery go back to eating the way they were eating earlier either once they have reached their goal and are "done" or once they decided they're tired of it all. It's not so much that other methods don't work it's that other methods aren't "permanent". What's incredible to me is the people who still manage to put much of the weight back on after the surgery. That takes some effort. :smile:

I've come to realize that losing weight and maintaining that loss is like walking down an up escalator. The moment you lose focus or stop trying you start going back up.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

This is a very good point.