BMI

Options
So just a little curious cause I've been doing research about BMI's.. How much should one rely on that and it base their focus on that? Is that what should determine a "goal weight"?

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    BMI is a pretty good indicator of fat levels for most people.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    kay_baybay wrote: »
    So just a little curious cause I've been doing research about BMI's.. How much should one rely on that and it base their focus on that? Is that what should determine a "goal weight"?

It's like a screwdriver.

It's a useful tool in your toolbox, but should not be the ONLY tool in your tool box.

As long as you understand that it's based on entire population averages, and that individual data point (ie - you) can and will fluctuate from that 'average', it will give you a rough idea of a good 'goal' weight.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

It's like a screwdriver.

It's a useful tool in your toolbox, but should not be the ONLY tool in your tool box.

As long as you understand that it's based on entire population averages, and that individual data point (ie - you) can and will fluctuate from that 'average', it will give you a rough idea of a good 'goal' weight.

This...
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

It's like a screwdriver.

This...

Cosigned. Bugs me to no end that my doctor sees the BMI number as hard and fast truth about a person's health. It's a good indicator along with weight and waist size. It's not the end-all be-all of the story.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    My doctor and I had a nice chat about how different it might be if they'd had calculators at the time it was conceived. And how people don't scale in just two dimensions. And how tall people get jacked by the formula and short people benefit.

BMI gives a somewhat defensible answer if you're not particularly muscular and the closer to average height you are. But, yeah, it's not the answer.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's pretty reasonable for about 85% of the population. Unfortunaltely most aren't as "muscular" as they think they are.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    About 1/3 of people that BMI classifies as normal are actually overweight. So it's a pretty ridiculous tool. It was never designed for use on individual people.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    About 1/3 of people that BMI classifies as normal are actually overweight. So it's a pretty ridiculous tool. It was never designed for use on individual people.
    Not defending the BMI, but "overweight" based on what criteria?

• TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

It's like a screwdriver.

This...

Cosigned. Bugs me to no end that my doctor sees the BMI number as hard and fast truth about a person's health. It's a good indicator along with weight and waist size. It's not the end-all be-all of the story.

Me too! When I was training for a triathlon AND a full marathon and running in 8 half marathons that same year, I weighed about 146 lbs (my "fighting weight). I was extremely fit and I went in to get a physical. The doctor walked in, head down, looking at her clipboard and the first thing she says is "I see your BMI is around the max for the healthy range. You might want to lose some weight." I said, "I swim about a half mile, bike about 30 miles, and run about 25 miles per week. I don't think I can do anymore than that. I think it's just the way I'm built."

BMI isn't the best indicator for how healthy I am when I'm in full training and doing everything right.

Example 144-146 lbs and I was considered at risk for becoming Overweight based on the BMI scale:
    9ffemc5wxste.jpg
    cjmgrrck77a5.jpg

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are overweight and haven't been at a healthy weight for a long time (or ever), BMI is a good tool to help you set an initial goal to get into a healthy range. Once you get into that range, though, the mirror and simply jiggling around a bit does a better job of showing you what a good maintenance spot will be.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Guessing he means in comparison to going by body weight percentage.
    BMI skews towards underestimating body fat percentage.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

And probably about another 1/3rd it classifies as overweight, when they are perfectly fit and at a healthy weight!
    For example, see the @TaurianDoll post above.
    Not being funny, but the BMI charts do not take into consideration people of different Ethnicities either or Bone density.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    What's the cutoff for a healthy body fat percentage?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

It's like a screwdriver.

I would add to this that it is also a range to account for various body types. I see way too many people arbitrarily shooting for very low BMI without acknowledging that maybe they don't have the body type for that.

BMI is a range in order to account for various body frames, etc...you aren't given a range so that you can arbitrarily pick and choose a number within that range.

For most people who have been over fat, BMI is a good place to start, but it's not the be all and end all. I am overweight as per BMI at around 15% BF...at the highest of of BMI for my stats, I'm around 10% BF which is very lean...I couldn't get any lower than that without torching some muscle, and I'm by no means a body builder or anything like that, I just have a fairly athletic build.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    my personal bmi range @ 5 ft 7 is 118 (18.5) to 159 (24.9)..which is considered in a healthy range...

That is 41 lb range...I think that would encompass a lot of people...even those with more muscle mass, denser bones etc...

I am not defending BMI either but there are few...very very few who it doesn't apply to...I used to think I was one of them...I am not.

Being fit and being able to run marathons etc does not mean you are not over weight...and the poster above who was on the cusp was still in a healthy range for BMI...

ETA: I still don't think it should be the only measure tho...
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    BMI was designed to be a hard and fast measurement/comparison tool for working in situations when you have little more than simple measurements to go from (it's pretty easy to get someone's height, weight, age, and gender with very simple tools, even in the middle of nowhere and without electricity, etc). It was originally geared toward research applications like doing epidemiological surveys where you don't have complicated technology like bioelectric impedance or staff that is properly trained in the use of calipers. It can also be used as a hard and fast tool in medical applications to see where a person fits amongst a curve or an average. Does that mean it is accurate for every individual? Nope. It wasn't originally intended to be but it was a useful yardstick to make comparisons and predictions across varied people. This doesn't mean it is inaccurate; for a vast number of people it is quite useful; that's why it was created. Unfortunately, if you are on the fringes of average (very tall, short, muscular, female*) it is less so and should be treated as just one tool of many, as someone above stated.

*The funny aspect of BMI is it is far less sensitive/accurate for women than men when you look at how the mathematical equation is set up. Women are more highly variable, probably due to hormone fluctuations/fat to muscle percentages/life stage changes/etc... The equation tries to pull all those variations into a lineal equation and the result is, well, interesting. If you are female and on the fringe of average it can get even more inaccurate than for men. Making the number ranges for normal, overweight, and obese the same as males limits some of the usefulness as well since women's bodies work a bit differently and they distribute fat in less destructive locations generally. Does that mean it isn't generally accurate for women? Also nope but it is something to keep in mind, especially if you are a fit healthy woman that isn't quite fitting into the BMI box that seems correct.
  • senecarr
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    What's the cutoff for a healthy body fat percentage?
    Depends on sex.
    Usually below 25% is considered acceptable for a man, 32% for a woman. Though as it is harder to get an accurate number for, I think there is no where near the medical correlations and research done it.
    Wikipedia has this table for body fat:
    Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So, as someone overweight should I use this as a way to figure out a goal weight?
  • senecarr
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    So, as someone overweight should I use this as a way to figure out a goal weight?
    BMI for your goal weight? It can give a rough idea of what would be an appropriate weight.
    If you a condition that makes your lean body mass heavier or lighter than normal, it might be off. The only typical ways to be terribly different in lean body mass is either being an experienced lifter, or malnourished.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Hello
    Am Roselin.
    I saw your profile here today,
    i will like us to be good friends
    Please reply me back direct to my personal email address,
    (roselinkarume@yahoo.com)
    so that i will send you my pictures and details,
    there is something important i will like to discuss with you.
    thanks and remain blessed.
    ROSELIN.

I sooo want to mark this as possible spam, but I've done so much spam flagging lately and don't want to end up in forum jail. ;_;