I lost the weight I wanted, now having a hard time finding the energy to workout

Options
Does anyone have any tips on how to get motivated again? I used to workout daily, but now it feels like I have no energy at all...my calorie intake was pretty low & after not feeling well I felt like I was lacking nutrients so I upped it and started feeling better and am now at a weight I'd like to maintain, but still would like to be able to workout.

Replies

• Eddygogo
    Eddygogo Posts: 23 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    how long have you had this diet or maintenance diet for? it takes a bit of time before your body's hormonal changes catches up to the new you (Cortisol, Ghrelin, Leptin might still need a certain amount of time before regulating to the new weight and body fat).

Beyond bodily changes maybe finding a new goal to work on (something like being able to run X miles in Y time or lift so and so amount of weight or hitting a certain %body fat).

For me it was mainly weight lifting and setting up certain weight goals for my lifts. trying to hit new personal records always gives me a sense of accomplishment and purpose in the workouts that I do. personally I don't recommend working out without a solid goal as there is no sense of progress to work towards.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    motivation comes from wanting to do the workout. Are the workouts you plan fun? do you enjoy them?

I like lifting so I don't need to motivate myself to go do it.

• laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    motivation comes from wanting to do the workout. Are the workouts you plan fun? do you enjoy them?

I like lifting so I don't need to motivate myself to go do it.

Like the OP I always worked out daily, enjoyed it. In the last month or so i've lacked motivation. I miss the feeling of wanting to work out. For a while i've wanted to look into lifting.....i just need the motivation lol.
  • NHoward84
    NHoward84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :D I was on a 45 day streak of working out for at least an hour a day doing stationary biking & stair stepper...I don't enjoy it at all and that's part of the problem, I would say it's been at least a month since I've worked out...I'm a stay at home mom so my options are limited at the moment.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Check out www.fitnessblender.com - tons of free videos that you can customise by time, style of workout, calorie burn desired, etc....I am sure you have a busy lifestyle and they have short videos! I do them in my apartment all the time. Good luck.
  • NHoward84
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate it :)
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Since you're in maintenance mode now, maybe you need to look back on some old photos to help you see how far you've come? I do that to remind myself of the hard work I've put in but also to know that I could also very easily go back to how I was if I'm not careful.

Another thing I like to do is work out first thing when I get up. I've been really stressed at the moment so I'm not sleeping well. Instead of just laying there for an hour waiting for my alarm to go off, I've been getting up and doing 15 minutes on the elliptical and then a 5 minute ab work out from an app. It's not much but it's better than nothing which is what I'd most likely be doing otherwise.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Once you have reached a goal weight, and are now in maintenance, your maintenance calories should be more than what you were eating while trying to lose. Have you recalculated what you should be consuming at your new happy weight? Are you getting a good mix of macros to provide the energy you need for your workouts? Might be you just aren't fueling your body properly.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can also try to find group classes in your area. Fit 4 mom is a great company that has classes for moms, like stroller strides and stroller barre.
  • NHoward84
    Options
    Thanks all, I was doing well with the workouts early when the kids were in school and now since it's summer break I'm finding it harder to squeeze them in. Also, I have a hard time sleeping so I think that's another part of the problem. I'm going to try and start taking a daily vitamin to see if that helps. I appreciate the advice :)
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    NHoward84 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone :D I was on a 45 day streak of working out for at least an hour a day doing stationary biking & stair stepper...I don't enjoy it at all and that's part of the problem, I would say it's been at least a month since I've worked out...I'm a stay at home mom so my options are limited at the moment.

Make sure you work in rest days, you're less likely to burn out that way. Maybe aim for every other day?

• NHoward84
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan...thank you :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    NHoward84 wrote: »

I would have stopped working out if I had done 45 days straight of cardio too. Good lord woman.

I hate cardio though, therefore I don't really do it (maybe once a month tops), and do things I enjoy instead.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    lift some heavy *kitten*

it's awesome
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I find that 10 to 15 workouts work for me.. I am 56, but the workouts I do were originally designed for moms and new moms.. check out barre3.com... the mobile ap is excellent.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Continue to set goals ... instead of weight loss focused aim for long term goal purpose. ie. Run a 5K or Tone arms etc. Otherwise yea, the 'finish line' mentality of achieving wt loss goal will not be enough to carry you through in maint.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Maybe check iron levels? I always find it hard to get enough iron in my diet since logging on MFP.
  • NHoward84
    Options
    Thank you all, everyone's suggestions have been really helpful :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Maybe check iron levels? I always find it hard to get enough iron in my diet since logging on MFP.

Also agree to check on your iron levels. But keep in mind your iron numbers may not be accurate on MFP. A lot of foods simply don't have iron included in their nutritional information.

OP, you can always just try to do more active stuff with your kids, instead of dedicated workouts. Even a daily walk would help get some activity in.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You have kids... that alone can be cardio. Go outside and play with them. Depending on age, play frisbie, 4 square, shoot hoops, tag, hide and seek, catch butterflies, swim, whatever. Best advice I got was to stop thinking of it as exercise and call it what it should be - recess :)