Eating very little in the day to enjoy a nice dinner

Options
Anyone do this?
Does it get easier after a while?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no...I eat my normal meals and still get a nice dinner.

HOw many calories is in this nice dinner that you have to "save" a days worth to eat it?
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have tried, I just get grumpy if i go too long without eating enough. I have been at this for just over 17 months. But everyone is different. what i can advise is keep busy so you don't do mindless eating, or do some extra exercise to give your self some extra calories to eat, or you can go to a weekly calorie count.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat most of my calories in the evening, so I naturally eat a lighter breakfast and lunch. But if you're having to eat very little in order to have a "nice" dinner, your calorie goals may be set too low. You should be able to have decent meals without starving yourself for most of the day. You're asking if it gets easier -- that's a sign that you may be cutting too much from the rest of your day.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    or try some low calorie snacks.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you. That would never work for me, but it works for some people.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure how many calories would be considered a nice dinner. Maybe 600-700? I only have 1500 cals to eat (to lose .5 lbs a week) and after a small breakfast, small lunch, and my snacks I feel like I'm not left with much left.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal for the day?
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do. I've always eaten the majority of my calories in the evening, so I structure my caloric intake around it now. I'll eat somewhere around 300-500 calories throughout my day, and another 1,000-ish at dinner and thereafter. I've always eaten like this to one degree or another, so it's not personally difficult for me, but I have noticed that if I do not eat some protein during the daytime, I'm quite a bit hungrier earlier on.
  • arachnofobia7
    arachnofobia7 Posts: 50 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    tried one meal a day thing for some time but not sustainable in a long term however....
    http://hubbyshome.com/486/how-to-lose-weight-fast-eating-one-meal-a-day/
    or
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29801583
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    no...I eat my normal meals and still get a nice dinner.

HOw many calories is in this nice dinner that you have to "save" a days worth to eat it?

+1
  • seabee78
    seabee78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do this if I know I am going to eat out later that night. But I wouldn't say I "eat very little" but rather I eat sensibly. Even when I do go out after having saved the room, I don't go crazy on the calories.

Yes, after a while I don't even notice. I think you'll find that if you eat healthy foods often, you can actually eat more than you can of junk/bad foods and still be satisfied.
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Seriously this is the kind of thing I did when I had an eating disorder. I would only drink during the day then eat one meal at night which would get progressively smaller and smaller.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    I do. I've always eaten the majority of my calories in the evening, so I structure my caloric intake around it now. I'll eat somewhere around 300-500 calories throughout my day, and another 1,000-ish at dinner and thereafter. I've always eaten like this to one degree or another, so it's not personally difficult for me, but I have noticed that if I do not eat some protein during the daytime, I'm quite a bit hungrier earlier on.

^^^This is me. I've always eaten this way though even before I lost weight, so I know it's sustainable for me. I usually eat 600 to 800 during the day so I have 1000 to 1200 for the evening. That's normal for me as I've eaten that way for years...well, in terms of time of day, not calories, lol. Do what feels right for you. There is no one way of eating that's right or wrong as long as you stay within your calories.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do this right now. I eat a breakfast and lunch that are 250-400 calories each, leaving me with ~900 calories for dinner when I get home. This works for me because I am very busy at work during the day, so I don't actually have time to eat a big meal or even think about eating (sometimes I skip lunch all together).

I used to eat three evenly sized meals but I found that once I get home and relaxed, I wanted to eat more. I handle this by just saving my calories for the end of the day. Again this works as I am very busy at work anyway.

So yes, I do this, but do what works for you. Don't force yourself into a calories deficit/ weird schedule if you don't like it.
  • aleikita
    aleikita Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat the heaviest meal of the day at noon so that my body has time to burn calories before I go to sleep.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Seriously this is the kind of thing I did when I had an eating disorder. I would only drink during the day then eat one meal at night which would get progressively smaller and smaller.

Oh no, I would never take it to that extreme. I just wanted some input before I tried it. I really love my meat which I eat at dinner time. Because I'm lifting, I'd like to eat more of it. I don't count the calories I'm burning while lifting and I really don't care for cardio but if it give me some more wiggle room for my dinner cals then I'll do it.
  • punkuate
    punkuate Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I do IF and only eat after 4pm. It works for me and I'm a lot less hungry than I used to be when I tried to eat small amounts throughout the day. Takes a bit of getting used to but suits my lifestyle.

• carduccic
    carduccic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do this, I usually eat 5-600 calories during the first part of the day, and have 700-900 calories for dinner, maybe have a small dessert. I would rather eat one bigger meal at night than have 2-3 smaller, more equal meals throughout the day. But really, whatever is sustainable and works for you.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    On days when I'm going out to a non-chain restaurant I restrict pretty heavily.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I eat less calories during the day when I'm not sure what I will be preparing for dinner. I eat most of my calories after work so it's easier for me.