Group fitness vs. free weights for best results?

Options
I have about 20 pounds to lose. I see success story pictures (before and after) that show a pudgy mid section to toned, lean abs. THIS IS WHAT I WANT. I have been logging all food, walking or jogging4 times per week, and am consistently losing weight since I started (not long ago). I am highly motivated. I have tried weight lifting 2-3 other times in my life and each time ended up injured (tennis elbow twice, and a knee injury once). I can't afford a personal trainer to help me with form etc. My gym offers group classes (pump, etc). Can the same results be achieved with group classes as with free weights? Any programs you recommend? Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Try the classes and see if you like them! Talk to the instructor before or after the class - they are usually happy to offer advice about form and exercise modifications if there are moves you are unsure of or find difficult with injuries etc. It's a little like having a few minutes access to a personal trainer for free! I do pump 4-5 x per week and really enjoy it - I can see results and I've met some nice people too. I find the group offers extra encouragement but the instructors offer advice, help and motivation rather than going it alone. Give it a try and see how you get on! What've you got to lose?!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Classes can be a really good start, also you've got a trained instructor that will help with form. Give it a go, it might lead to other stuff or you might just want to carry on with the classes.