Camping - what are your favorite food items to bring?

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I looked up Ziploc omelets. Tips from campers in the reviews. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/omelet-in-a-bag/
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Brats.
    Pasta salad (lasts a few days in a cooler and is an easy side)
    Pudgie pies!!! A can of strawberry preserves, a loaf of bread, maybe a little marshmallow fluff... nom nom nom.

Also, beer.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for our first bonfire to try these:

http://www.centercutcook.com/campfire-cones/

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Turkey jerky, if you plan on hiking too. Okay - even if you don't plan on hiking. It's so low-cal I just like to snack on it, and the summer heat doesn't affect it at all. Just keep the salt content in mind.

Also - corn in-stalk. Throw it on a grill just a couple of inches over a fire and let them do what they're going to do for about 30-45 minutes. Sooooo good. And they don't require constant monitoring or extra utensils.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Instead of smores, we bought a jar of marshmallow fluff and dipped strawberries in it and roasted it (thank you Pinterest for that one). My daughter used way more fluff than I did, but yummmmmm! And we brought lots of fruit and carrot sticks (instead of chips & junk) to munch on. For supper one night did portabello mushrooms with a little bit of butter (teaspoon) and worcestershire sauce and few beef bouillon granules in a foil pouch thrown right on the coals. Then a lean steak and asparagus seasoned only with spices & olive oil spray cooked over the grill. It was the most amazing meal and it wasn't hard and it all fit in a little cooler.
    I love the strawberry idea! Actually I love all the ideas in this thread!!!

I haven't been camping in a few years, but will be going this summer, so I will definitely keep these ideas in mind!!!

Great thread!
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love just about anything I can make with two pieces of bread in a hobo-pie iron...

http://www.rei.com/product/752497/camp-chef-cooking-iron

Though, I do also love cooking in a cast iron dutch oven with coals from the fire. Breakfast strata is a favorite with my campers. I also like long-cooking options done with coals, so just about anything that can be done in a crock pot.

If I'm not camping for long, or don't have much time to cook, I vacuum pack my meals and freeze them, then re-heat them in boiling water on the camp stove (they have special vac pack bags for this). Spaghetti sauce and stew and the like work well for this. If I'm going to be on site for longer than a week, I like to cook from scratch, and can even make bread in the dutch oven. :)

I second the hobo pies :smiley:

A lot of great ideas - can't wait to go camping!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    pudgie pies, I was trying to think of that name the other day

trail mix, jerky, bananas, hot dogs, you know the regular stuff. I'm considering banana, marshmallow and dark chocolate wrapped in foil
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Foil packs for everything from assorted veggies to potatoes and onions. Make extra for leftover hashbrowns for breakfast.
    Corn on the cob.
    Pre cut raw veggies
    Trail mix
    Pita pocket sandwiches (with tuna salad or lunch meat)
    Beer;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I camp all of the time and I don't really eat any differently than I do at home. I'm going this weekends...we will grill some chicken for dinner one night and likely serve with a baked potato from the fire pit and some kind of veg...night two I will grill some salmon with brown rice and some kind of veg. We usually do scrambled eggs, potatoes, and bacon or ham for breakfast. Lunch is usually sandwiches. Fruit and nuts for snacks. Plenty of beer.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The real question is......are you bringing your food scale? haha. I'm planning on bringing mine. Don't laugh!
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I bring pre-made yogurt smoothies for breakfast. If everyone else is pigging out eggs and bacon I'll have the smoothie along with a single slice of bacon.

For lunches I bring lunch meat, low cal cheese, yellow mustard, and low calorie tortillas. Baked chips, too.

For dinner I'll bring turkey hot dogs and will put them in a tortilla with low cal cheese and yellow mustard.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I bring pre-made yogurt smoothies for breakfast. If everyone else is pigging out eggs and bacon I'll have the smoothie along with a single slice of bacon.

For lunches I bring lunch meat, low cal cheese, yellow mustard, and low calorie tortillas. Baked chips, too.

For dinner I'll bring turkey hot dogs and will put them in a tortilla with low cal cheese and yellow mustard.

Edit: I don't always do this. Sometimes I just want to have a fun weekend. If I know I'll be able to eat what everyone else is eating in moderation (pie iron Frito chili pies, for example) I'll have one of those. I'm not all about not having fun with food. I guess it just depends on my mood and also how long the trip is. For a three day trip I'll definitely bring my own stuff. One night and I'll throw caution to the wind. :)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Tortillas, egg n bacon, pre grated cheese, cans tuna, sliced ham, bags of salad leaves, 'just add hot water porridge (oatmeal), BBQ meats, quorn bolognese pre made - I bring it frozen and it keeps everything cold. Plus LOADS of wine
  • bigislandgrrl
    bigislandgrrl Posts: 196 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My favorite go to camping food is Hobo Pies - Start with a square of aluminum foil, give a light spritz of oil, and pile up slices of potato, thin sliced carrots, onion and celery (sprinkle any seasoning you would like). Make a nice sized (large circumfrance not thickness) turkey or lean beef burger seasoned as you like on top. Wrap up securely and it can go directly on hot coals. The meat juices stream down on the veggies making it all so delicious.

*edited the order of ingredients
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big pot of chili over the campfire. Nice and hearty, and it feeds us all day. Marshmallows and beer are a camping necessity!